How to play second part of two-part movie?

MyronAub

MyronAub

Terry Pratchett's Hogfather is a two-part movie; I've just watched the first part via the Emby app on my nVidia Shield and then backed up to the homepage as the credits rolled on part one. In the web app it correctly shows as having an "additional part" but on the Shield the whole movie now shows as "Played" and I can't figure out how to watch the second part...

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? How can I watch the second part?

GrimReaper
Just now, MyronAub said:

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? How can I watch the second part?

Just let Part 1 run it's course (or FF near the end), Part 2 will start automatically. 

FrostByte

One of the reasons I always merge the two parts of my movies using mkvtoolnix.   It made Lawrence of Arabia 4K almost 100GB, but I don't have to mess with stuff like that.

• Agree 2

Hi.  At this time, we do suggest merging the two parts or, if you really want them treated separately, make them different items and then put them in a collection.

Gilgamesh_48
2 hours ago, FrostByte said:

One of the reasons I always merge the two parts of my movies using mkvtoolnix.   It made Lawrence of Arabia 4K almost 100GB, but I don't have to mess with stuff like that.

I do the same except I usually use FreeMake because I find in more simple to use than MKVtoolnix. I just select the two parts to join and then click "join" and name the destination the way I like and press "go."

I found, quite a while ago, that using "part 1" or "part 2" in naming was just too much trouble. It does work most on the time but it is just a LOT easier to join the two or three or however many files into one.

I am firmly convinced that joining files is easier and more reliable than using multiple parts. But Emby has pretty much solved all the serious issues in using "parts" so it is up to each person to decide how they wish to handle multi-part movies.

I believe Albert Einstein had it correct when he said, "Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler."

Zellogize

I've been thinking about these(my) multi-part movies. Easiest is to name/identify them as different movies. And you can manually enter metadata to make it look okeyish (and lock them from change so the server don't start changing stuff around). Or merge like the other above said. Merge probably will most likely be best in the long run to be rid of the issue forever.

On 30/12/2021 at 00:43, Gilgamesh_48 said:

I do the same except I usually use FreeMake because I find in more simple to use than MKVtoolnix. I just select the two parts to join and then click "join" and name the destination the way I like and press "go."

I found, quite a while ago, that using "part 1" or "part 2" in naming was just too much trouble. It does work most on the time but it is just a LOT easier to join the two or three or however many files into one.

I am firmly convinced that joining files is easier and more reliable than using multiple parts. But Emby has pretty much solved all the serious issues in using "parts" so it is up to each person to decide how they wish to handle multi-part movies.

I believe Albert Einstein had it correct when he said, "Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler."

I've just tried MKVtool out a little and did some tests a while ago. Maybe stupid question, do this affect quality at all? If I recall correctly my audio of the file got messed up. Might just be me forgetting some setting. Is FreeMake easier you say? Might give it a go. Is it Freemake(dot)com? I'm always hesitant to download "free" software that I haven't heard or used before.

At this moment my movies are in different parts for the few that are. I named them "moviename (20xx) - CD1/2 1080p.mkv". And like op said, they display as additional parts. I don't have a Nvidia shield or anything similar, so can't try that out and see what's best there.. But would like to have it fixed in case my family or me started using one of those devices. 

Also, to find the movies that do have 2 or more parts can be difficult or time consuming. There doesn't seem to be a way to filter the movies to find them all, what I could find. Maybe a feature for the future(?), at least for admin use. Was searching for if this is requested or not when I found this thread.

I might not add much to this discussion, more just writing my thoughts and questions.

• 1 month later...
On 1/1/2022 at 9:50 AM, ebr said:

Hi.  Just merging them will not affect quality.  The files are just appended.

Yes, you are right, but to get good results when merging two parts of one movie with MKVToolNiX, you should first remux each part and remove the chapters from each part, then merge/append both without chapters. If you want the chapters, you can take the chapters from part 1 and edit the chapters xml and add the ones from part 2 with the correct timing, if you don't, your chapters will be a mess. Sometimes it can cause playback problems with some players if the chapters are not well timed. MKVToolNiX comes with a chapter editor anyway.

• Agree 1

Tangsgod
21 minutes ago, Riggs said:

Yes, you are right, but to get good results when merging two parts of one movie with MKVToolNiX, you should first remux each part and remove the chapters from each part, then merge/append both without chapters. If you want the chapters, you can take the chapters from part 1 and edit the chapters xml and add the ones from part 2 with the correct timing, if you don't, your chapters will be a mess. Sometimes it can cause playback problems with some players if the chapters are not well timed. MKVToolNiX comes with a chapter editor anyway.

Good remark!

pwhodges

But wrong, I think.  As I recall, when appending files the chapter marks are re-timed accordingly.

Paul

• Agree 1

FrostByte
20 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

But wrong, I think.  As I recall, when appending files the chapter marks are re-timed accordingly.

Paul

It should.  I've merged several movies and Mkvtoolnix has always merged the two chapter files correctly by adjusting the times from the second chapter file appropriately.