Music Tagging

thelanranger

thelanranger

The Picard and mp3tag software will let you write all kinds of random tags. TECHNICALLY, you can make up your OWN tags and inject them into the files. That's why I'm asking you for the exact ones that emby is using so that I know what I need to conform to in order to make it work with emby.

This is the only thing that I have a problem with these files working with. They all work file en masse with 10 other programs. Only the way that emby is reading them and organizing them is making them into a hot mess. So, if they need to be ULTRA anal-retentive just for emby then I need to know what kind of anal-retentive it wants.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, this might give some insight to all who have been similar problems to those raised in this thread.

I have a large music collection and went through much the same problems.  The issue I had was that practically no two music managers write tags consistently especially when it comes to multiple field separators and tags such as DISPLAYARTIST as opposed to ARTIST to name two examples.  I use MediaMonkey for mp3 and FLAC files as it handles multiple field separators in the most compatible way for all my music players and servers (MusicCast, Asset-PnP, Bubble-PnP). However, I have to use MusicBee or MP3Tag for DSD files as MediaMonkey4 does not handle DSD. For Classical Music; the Work, Movement Number and Movement Name tags are all handled differently by Jaikoz, MusicBee, and Helium and not at all by MediaMonkey.

What I do is to use MediaMonkey for Mp3 and FLAC AND then I use Picard to see what tags have actually been written (and how they have been written) and then do a final clean. For DSD files I use MusicBee and Picard likewise for a final clean but it can get more complicated as MusicBee supports DISPLAYARTIST, PERFORMER and various SORT tags which if written can cause some players to give odd results in collating and sorting music. Needless to say I remove these.

For classical music I use MediaMonkey, then MP3 tag to write the WORK, MOVEMENT NUMBER and MOVEMENT NAME tags and then do a final clean again with Picard.

I have found that the only programs which are completely consistent with the ID3V2.3/2.4 standard are Picard and dbPoweramp but, unfortunately, they are not music managers.

Finally, my main music server Asset-PnP supports on the fly volume levelling based on TRACK GAIN and ALBUM GAIN tags.  Again I found that different music managers calculate these in an inconsistent manager. It does really matter as long as the calculation is consistent across all types of files; however this is not the case. For example, MusicBee calculate these tags in an inconsistent manner for DSD files compared to MP3 and FLAC files.

So, I have a final step after a new album (whether DSD, Mp3 or FLAC) is placed in the library. I run dbpoweramp to write the GAIN tags.  That is the only program I have found which is entirely consistent in calculating the GAIN tags between, mp3, FLAC, DSD and multi-channel FLAC and multi-channel m4a (yes, I have these as well to play on my car 7.1 sound system).

• 10 months later...
landernd

I know it's an old topic. 

I was having some issues with music with several volumes and discs.  At one point music tagged as compilation having the same exact album name and same album artist (Various Artists)  will show many songs (not all) separate,like an album for each.(of course i scanned the library many many times ).
I got the same music from a different file,re tagged everything and at the end only one song was separate. I use Tag&Rename for tagging and in it the album artist was Various Artists but when i checked the metadata in emby for that song ,album artist was the artist not VA. I fixed it and now everything shows as it should.I assume that what's happening earlier with many songs.

I just wanted to report it.

Edited by landernd
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, landernd said:

I know it's an old topic. 

I was having some issues with music with several volumes and discs.  At one point music tagged as compilation having the same exact album name and same album artist (Various Artists)  will show many songs (not all) separate,like an album for each.(of course i scanned the library many many times ).
I got the same music from a different file,re tagged everything and at the end only one song was separate. I use Tag&Rename for tagging and in it the album artist was Various Artists but when i checked the metadata in emby for that song ,album artist was the artist not VA. I fixed it and now everything shows as it should.I assume that what's happening earlier with many songs.

I just wanted to report it.

Thanks for the feedback !