Managing Corrupt Databases on Nvidia Shield Emby Server

LordRunningClam

LordRunningClam

I am running Emby server on a 2017 Nvidia Shield TV. I keep all media files on an attached 5tb USB hard drive.

In another forum thread I learned that my library scans were failing because I corrupted the database by deleting a file.

I would like to get my Emby server back to the point where the scans work and I can add new files, but I have a few questions:

1) The directions for fixing a corrupt database involves removing/replacing library files. I don’t see any library files on the USB hard drive, so I assume they are on the Nvidia Shield itself. If this is the case, how do I copy/remove those library files? With Plex I had those files stored on the USB drive, so I could follow the directions for fixing a corrupt library, but I’m not sure how to proceed.

2) I’ve only been running Emby for a few weeks. If the easiest solution is to simply start over from scratch, how would I do that on the Nvidia Shield so that the corruption doesn’t extend to the new instance? Would I need to restore the Nvidia Shield to factory settings, install the server, and start all over again, or is there a less scorched-earth way to proceed?

Sorry about the new guy questions here, but I like the direction Emby is taking (vs. Plex) and I’d really like to make this work. 

Thanks in advance to anyone who can assist.

Hi, @LordRunningClam

I do not think you corrupted the database yourself.  We've discovered an issue that affects only the Shield TV version of the server when ever it removes items from the database.
Until we get a fix out for this the only thing you can do is rebuild the library.db and then make sure you don't remove any content from the libraries to trigger this issue.

LordRunningClam

Thank you.

My question was about rebuilding the librarydb. I don’t understand how to do that if the librarydb resides on the Nvidia Shield itself.

I chose to start from scratch, restoring the Shield to factory settings, setting up Emby Server from the beginning, and then setting out some time to correct all the library errors.

Moving forward, since the library corruption issue was such a problem, I would like to know how I could 1) create incremental backups (so I don’t need to start from scratch again), and 2) where I might find step-by-step instructions for creating backups for an Nvidia Shield-based server.

Thanks again for the prompt reply!

You don't need to do all that to rebuild you libs.  What you need to do is rename or remove the library.db file and Emby will create a new one.
Then scanning your libraries will re-populate it.

Do you know how to access the Shield TV file system from a PC or using a utility app like Xplore for Android TV?

LordRunningClam

Thanks for the reply.

I do not know how to access the Shield TV file system from a PC, or using Xplore.

Can you provide any helpful links?

aAlso, when you say “PC”, can I do it with my MacBook, or do I need a Windows machine?

• 2 weeks later...

Unless your Shield TV is rooted it's touch to access where programs are installed.  There are only a few programs that can do.

Xplore is one of them.  It's going to be one of those programs where you just have to install it and use it to see how it works but is pretty easy.  When you first try to access the area where programs are stored it's going to inform you that you can't unless you grant it permission.

You should be able to follow the directions it gives you.  Unfortunately it's a bit different with each new Android release so there isn't a "one way do this" example.

You can find videos on Youtube showing this program in action and that may be the best way to learn it or just dive in and start using it. :)

GetaGrip

@cayars

Not hijacking this threat, but just quick question as a new user with also a corrupt db on a Shield server. is this fix what @Luke is working on also fixing a corrupt database? or do you have to build a new db no matter what. Just asking to get a clear overview what I have to do when the update is available. 

Happy2Play
14 minutes ago, GetaGrip said:

@cayars

Not hijacking this threat, but just quick question as a new user with also a corrupt db on a Shield server. is this fix what @Luke is working on also fixing a corrupt database? or do you have to build a new db no matter what. Just asking to get a clear overview what I have to do when the update is available. 

According to another topic is should fix the database issue.

• Agree 2

LordRunningClam

That’s great news!

I haven’t had an issue with Emby since I started over from scratch, so I’ll wait to upgrade until the release is out of beta.

Thanks so much!