People folder issues

MrAudio
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Happy2Play

@LukeDoes Emby read the actor tmdbid from item nfo file?  Or just write it.

<actor>
    <name>John Cena</name>
    <role>Danny Fisher</role>
    <type>Actor</type>
    <tmdbid>56446</tmdbid>
  </actor>

From a offline standpoint name-tmdbid folder images are not used.

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

@LukeDoes Emby read the actor tmdbid from item nfo file?  Or just write it.

<actor>
    <name>John Cena</name>
    <role>Danny Fisher</role>
    <type>Actor</type>
    <tmdbid>56446</tmdbid>
  </actor>

From a offline standpoint name-tmdbid folder images are not used.

Actually no, not yet. On the todo list.

GrimReaper
7 hours ago, Luke said:

Actually no, not yet. On the todo list.

It would certainly be a nice feature to have, considering that the data IS already there. 

I've just made a completely offline beta .14 build, and everything is imported save actor images/bio (copy from 4.6.4.0 metadata\people folder), even though all nfos contain <actor> node <tmdbid> tag and people folders are appended. 

As a sidenote, what happens with tmdbid-less people? Could they be linked to existing tmdbid-less folders, by name only? 

GrimReaper
3 minutes ago, Luke said:

Without id's they'll try and match by name.

...and they do, my bad, should've randomly check few more persons (as Murphy is usually right, two I did check had no poster image), tmdbid-less persons get picked-up by name-match only. 

That leaves only those ids outstanding, hopefully it can be implemented in forseeable future. 

Johnny Sideburnz
On 10/7/2021 at 9:33 AM, Luke said:

OK, I'm not going to do a migration, but I can add a hidden config switch to activate this if that's what you guys want. You'll need to move the files manually after activating it and then run the scheduled task to scan the server metadata folder. This can also be default behavior for new installations.

Where do I find the hidden config switch so that I can revert back to the A-Z folder system? I've been using Emby since the MediaBrowser days and have collected a huge people library and would seriously like to keep it working! Will activating this "hidden config switch" go back to using my orignal folders? I'm talking about the folders without the IMDB extension?

Thank You

Edited by Johnny Sideburnz

GrimReaper
7 minutes ago, Johnny Sideburnz said:

Where do I find the hidden config switch so that I can revert back to the A-Z folder system?

Courtesy of @Happy2Play:

in the system.xml  <EnablePeopleLetterSubFolders>

8 minutes ago, Johnny Sideburnz said:

Will activating this "hidden config switch" go back to using my orignal folders? I'm talking about the folders without the IMDB extension?

Don't really know, had similar query few posts above about back-reading folders with id, while id-less folders did get name-matched, guess you'll have to test or @Luke might revert on that. 

Happy2Play

Remember this switch is only in 4.7+, and going forward all new people will be converted to name-providerid folders.  But will/should link to name folders if they exist.

So besides just changing that value how did you migrate the current people on your system?

Happy2Play

FYI NFO plugin updated to Read person external ids from media metadata.

OK but can you tell us all the steps you took to migrate people?

Or put another way, directions that someone else could follow to migrate their people? :)

GrimReaper
9 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

FYI NFO plugin updated to Read person external ids from media metadata.

Just to confirm, that applies to reading Person id from item NFO, applicable to offline scan also? 

Happy2Play
7 minutes ago, cayars said:

OK but can you tell us all the steps you took to migrate people?

Or put another way, directions that someone else could follow to migrate their people? :)

Well this is assuming all media has update nfo files to contain person providerid to allow the name-providerid existing person image to be used.  Otherwise only name folder can exist and be used.

Happy2Play
Just now, GrimReaper said:

Just to confirm, that applies to reading Person id from item NFO, applicable to offline scan also? 

Posted at the same time by yes assuming media nfo has person providerid.

• Thanks 1

GrimReaper
1 minute ago, Happy2Play said:

Posted at the same time by yes assuming media nfo has person providerid.

Great stuff, thanks. 👍

• 1 month later...

Well, I installed the beta and have started the long and tedious process of converting folders, but the good news is that everything is working as advertised, and this solves a problem I've had and griped about for many years now. I finally feel confident that we have a great long-term solution, and I'd like to thank everyone on this thread, in particular those who had to actually do the work, but also to those who supported these changes. I really think this will help everyone in the long run. 😃👏

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback. In the event we have to do a 4.6.8 release I'll try and remember to include this.

• 2 months later...
Aussiedroid

I've recently done a reinstall and started populating the actors fresh to update to the new structure. All are going into a master folder right now (not any subfolders) with the TVDB IDs appended to folder names (which is great to see), but when this future change gets implemented in 4.6.8+, is there anything I will need to do on my server install to align to the new sub-folder structure? ie will I need to manually create the alphabetical folders and copy them manually, or will it automatically convert the People folder on next scan/update? Be great to know in advance.

Also a side question .. I see some actors have a folder with TVDB ID present and a duplicate folder without it (name only). Are both folders needed? Seems only has pictures/nfo details in the TVDB folder but already seeing a lot of duplicate being generated.

Thank you,

AD

On 2/12/2022 at 4:35 AM, Aussiedroid said:

I've recently done a reinstall and started populating the actors fresh to update to the new structure. All are going into a master folder right now (not any subfolders) with the TVDB IDs appended to folder names (which is great to see), but when this future change gets implemented in 4.6.8+, is there anything I will need to do on my server install to align to the new sub-folder structure? ie will I need to manually create the alphabetical folders and copy them manually, or will it automatically convert the People folder on next scan/update? Be great to know in advance.

If you did a completely clean install, it should have been making the subfolders by default. If it isn't, there's a parameter you can set in your "\EmbyServer\programdata\config\system.xml" file: 

<EnablePeopleLetterSubFolders>true</EnablePeopleLetterSubFolders>

I'm on a QNAP NAS (Linux), so the QNAP OS doesn't let you browse to the location where your installation folder is, but on Windows you can use WinSCP (a free app) to get to it and edit the file. YMMV.

Note that (I believe) you must still be on a beta version of Emby, as I don't think the code has made it back into the main release yet.

On 2/12/2022 at 4:35 AM, Aussiedroid said:

Also a side question .. I see some actors have a folder with TVDB ID present and a duplicate folder without it (name only). Are both folders needed? Seems only has pictures/nfo details in the TVDB folder but already seeing a lot of duplicate being generated.

No, both folders are not needed. As soon as person has a TMID number linked, they'll be using the folder with the ID appended. You can just delete the non-ID folders, or if you really care about the images, you can compare the image files and pick your preferred image and stick it into the ID-appended folder first. It's a pain, but sometimes your old pic is better than the new one and the old one is no longer available online.

• Agree 1

Aussiedroid

Thanks a lot for the reply @MrAudio

Running on Synology NAS my end, was a fresh/clean install this round, but I did import my settings using the Backup plugin. Not running the beta - my question was more around what will be needed 'my end' when introduced into the upcoming releases. If anything. Just trying to avoid any mess since I am starting fresh.

I'm hoping it will not require editing the files via WinSCP as I seem to have issues saving file changes for some reason (for last couple years at any rate).

Cheers for the confirmation on the duplicate folders too. Most of the unmatched ones don't have any pics in the folders so I will clean this up a little as I match up the actors to remove these duplicates. Would be nice to have this managed by the server to keep things clean :). Number of files and folders are quickly increasing.

Thanks again,

AD