EMBY Server Crashing

Lukeyson

Lukeyson

I have been having a problem the last few weeks.  Windows Server version is 2016, is patched regularly. EMBY server version is kept up to date. My issue has been the same across multiple EMBY versions. I raised an issue with the same symptom once before (Previous Issue) and at that time I removed a plugin and it seemed to come good, but it looks like thge plugin activity was unrelated and the disappearing symptom was a coincidence.

Using a Web Browser to access Emby, on a client or on the server, on occassion when I access a certain certain library, the Emby services just stops and disappears. There's no EmberServer service running any more - just EMbyTray. I kill the tray, relaunch the server application, and can access EMby again. I can often go to other libraries, but when I go back to the library that caused the problem previously, it does it again.The library with the issue is not consistent over time. Sometimes it is the same library, othertimes it is a different library.

On the browser that has halted and is waiting for the library to appear, if i restart the server quick enough, the library will actually open in the browser. If I go back up a level and try to go back into the library again, the server hangs once again.

For quite some time, my logs have shown the same thing on crashed instances - a repeat of the line  " DATE TIME Debug App: ConvertImageToLocal item 146218 - image url: emby://boxsetcollage" dozens of times. That repeat only happens when I have a crash - it never repeats on a healthy log.

Sometimes if I do a full library rescan it comes good. Often kicking off a rescan triggers the problem again. i have not found a way to make this either reliably fail or reliably work.

I need some help on what to look for - I'd have thought if there was a problem with my library that the EmbyServer.exe would just log an error and continue - that it is so flakey and easy to fall over is somewhat disconcerting.

An example log of a crash is attached.

Lukeyson

embyserver-63765087844.txt

Hi, please check Windows Server Event Logs to see if anything is logged there regarding Emby.

Let us know what you find.

Lukeyson

There are no Windows Event logs that I can see. I assume the timestap in the Emby log file is system time and is not UTC. At exactly 10:22.53pm on 20/8/21 looking at the Event Log on my Server  - I have no Application Events, Security events are just registering standard Audit Successes, and no System events. So is it just disappearing without a trace?

If it's relevant, I'm not running Emby as a service, I am having it launch when the server desktop shell is started.

Anything else to check?

Luke

@cayars

Happy2Play

@Lukeyson Nothing is really standing out in the log.  But it does sort of look like the is a issue with item "146218" (specific collection) as it does appear in your log 586 times. @Luke

Debug App: ConvertImageToLocal item 146218 - image url: emby://boxsetcollage

@cayars

@cayars there is another user who reported crashing on collection image generation. Can you recall that and link to it? It's the same issue. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
On 8/20/2021 at 9:52 PM, Luke said:

@cayars there is another user who reported crashing on collection image generation. Can you recall that and link to it? It's the same issue. Thanks.

Somehow I missed this before. I don't recall the thread you mention but I have helped a user remotely fix a situation like this.
In a nutshell we shutdown Emby, removed the offending collection from the system, restarted.  I believe this had to do with the migration from the XML based boxsets to database driven collections.

Happy2Play
1 hour ago, cayars said:

Somehow I missed this before. I don't recall the thread you mention but I have helped a user remotely fix a situation like this.
In a nutshell we shutdown Emby, removed the offending collection from the system, restarted.  I believe this had to do with the migration from the XML based boxsets to database driven collections.

Do you think the same thing with playlists over here?

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/102487-server-crashing-semi-randomly-transcoding

Have we confirmed this "ConvertImageToLocal" loop on the same item crashes Emby?

If that was directed at me I haven't confirmed anything but it sure seems very similar!
Nice find.