Why is flac shown as Direct play on the server?

koopa8840

koopa8840

So more testing, but using optional network paths, since it is stated as:

image.png.f682525fb15057d1bdadfe9cf203838c.png

This makes no difference. FLAC is still converted to inferior sound quality (MP3). Also, I asked once before and the question was not addressed. Why are the files being converted twice? As you can see the timestamp, between the two logs, is a second apart. Conversion takes place before the file plays and happens for every FLAC file. So there is a 2-5 second gap between each track because it has to convert. Sometime conversion takes place before previous track's play has ended and sometimes after the previous track's play has ended. If Emby support gapless playback, it's not happening due to this nonsense.

Why isn't FLAC listed in the top highlight? Is this what is causing the conversion, since there is NO clear explanation in the logs as to why the conversion is happening? Second highlight shows supports direct play. What is 'Und FLAC" for Display Name? I see nothing in Emby showing that.

688346959_Screenshot2021-09-05075012.thumb.png.d1e0372a4d3b844e82bdbd9e57a0a738.png

Anyways, after disabling "allow audio playback that requires transcoding" and Emby wouldn't even attempt to read the file. This leads me to believe the first highlight is the overall issue, since using the optional network path isn't allowing direct play or is broken. My files play fine when Roku has access to the files outside of Emby, so this entirely an Emby issue. In all honesty, you guys should drop the music aspect since updates are mainly aimed at improving video and UI experience. August 6: "Should be improved in the next update" Sept 2: "We're still looking into this" How about looking into the issue first before stating a possible update release? 🙄

ffmpeg-transcode-a6e61b86-57b8-4f6c-8a30-35716290a18e_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-c3864265-4b55-4d6a-aa43-69c3ab4adcc9_1.txt

koopa8840

Even more testing and this time with a video file and even more problems. Roku can't direct play a video file containing a FLAC file. More problems come after shutting off Emby and Roku; conversion is still processing resulting in a full drive if there is no intervention. As I am typing this I am watching the folder grow in size. There are 5 logs and not sure why when I hit "play" once. On this file, I converted the audio track to FLAC, so I could test. The lack of timestamps could be the problem. 🤷‍♂️ I'll test again once I find a Bluray, that contains the FLAC audio track, and convert it to a mkv with original audio track. I believe it is Alpha Dog.

image.png.b39085b4f7455eb741fb4a1029854346.png

image.png.997da75b250cfc0d881748124231f0a4.png

ffmpeg-directstream-66bb60c2-88ec-4f0f-9dd0-9126066f4ceb_1.txt

Happy2Play
7 minutes ago, koopa8840 said:

Even more testing and this time with a video file and even more problems. Roku can't direct play a video file containing a FLAC file. More problems come after shutting off Emby and Roku; conversion is still processing resulting in a full drive if there is no intervention. As I am typing this I am watching the folder grow in size. There are 5 logs and not sure why when I hit "play" once. On this file, I converted the audio track to FLAC, so I could test. The lack of timestamps could be the problem. 🤷‍♂️ I'll test again once I find a Bluray, that contains the FLAC audio track, and convert it to a mkv with original audio track. I believe it is Alpha Dog.

image.png.b39085b4f7455eb741fb4a1029854346.png

image.png.997da75b250cfc0d881748124231f0a4.png

ffmpeg-directstream-66bb60c2-88ec-4f0f-9dd0-9126066f4ceb_1.txt 16.63 MB · 0 downloads

Bad example as this is a file issue not a flac issue (according to log provided)

&TranscodeReasons=VideoFramerateNotSupported

from media
"AverageFrameRate":30000,"RealFrameRate":1000,

10:17:48.169   Metadata:
10:17:48.169     encoder         : Lavf58.35.100
10:17:48.169     Stream #0:0: Video: h264 (High), yuv420p(tv, bt709, progressive), 1920x812 [SAR 1:1 DAR 480:203], q=2-31, Level 40, 30k fps, 1k tbr, 90k tbn, 1k tbc (default)
10:17:48.169     Stream #0:1(eng): Audio: flac, 48000 Hz, stereo, s32 (24 bit) (default)
10:17:48.169 Stream mapping:
10:17:48.169   Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (copy)
10:17:48.170   Stream #0:1 -> #0:1 (copy)

But you are adding different issues to this topic.

Edited by Happy2Play

shutting off Emby and Roku; conversion is still processing resulting in a full drive if there is no intervention. 

Hi, this should be resolved for the next release of Emby Server. Thanks.

koopa8840
20 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

But you are adding different issues to this topic.

Sorry. It's wasn't my intentions, while testing and reporting my findings regarding FLACs, to "add different problems". But hey, let's ignore all the other questions.

To clarify; this topic post was changed when you merged my original topic into your much later dated topic.

Happy2Play
3 minutes ago, koopa8840 said:

I found a workaround to have Roku direct play FLAC using Emby. It will work until a real solution is provided. 😉

Can I ask what the workaround is?

Edited by Happy2Play

koopa8840

After proper test of a video with FLAC audio, I found Roku direct plays. So I am putting each FLAC into a MKV container. MKA doesn't work; FLAC is still converted. You "lose"* all embedded images and metadata, but I would rather have sound quality and now I have it.

*not really lost, just not displayed. I'll figure that out later.

Edited by koopa8840

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, koopa8840 said:

However, 1500 channels can be displayed

Just for clarification, all your channels can be displayed in the channel grid.  Only the guide limits to 1500 and that can be sorted and filtered to allow you access to everything.

koopa8840

That's good for those who use their Roku for video/TV, however there have been no improvements to the music aspect, except for an icon. Just be honest and straightforward that this is not a priority by any means. The comedic value of this, and any requests for audio file playback fixes, keeps increasing. Why? Because video and Live TV are the priority. Plugins get better updates. This topic can be locked. I'm not going to keep checking for updates as it's not going to happen as long as there are video and TV requests.

Hi.  We are still working on this issue but we haven't been able to get these formats to direct play consistently or properly our devices so, for now, transcoding them is the best approach.

23 hours ago, koopa8840 said:

That's good for those who use their Roku for video/TV, however there have been no improvements to the music aspect, except for an icon. Just be honest and straightforward that this is not a priority by any means. The comedic value of this, and any requests for audio file playback fixes, keeps increasing. Why? Because video and Live TV are the priority. Plugins get better updates. This topic can be locked. I'm not going to keep checking for updates as it's not going to happen as long as there are video and TV requests.

Each of the Roku devices differs in regards to Music. The devices only report support for video/audio codec combinations. They don't directly report what can play as music.

It is possible for FLAC to direct play but it is presently hit and miss. We have to know which FLAC it likes and which it does not. Which types of FLAC. There are different types. This is the problem. I have been sick with multiple sclerosis and other things. I am now back to how I should be and can participate better in these conversations and helping develop the Roku application. I apologize that we haven't been quick. It is entirely on me. I am back to near full so can help again. Please bear with us as we investigate these issues. This FLAC issue is #1 priority for me. Just so you know. This is NOT being swept under the theoretical rug. We are on it. We are a team. Please give us patience. Thanks. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Happy2Play
6 minutes ago, ebr said:

Please test your flac audio items with the latest Roku beta of 4.0.38.

Thanks.

Appears resolved in 4.0.38 in my tests.

• Thanks 1