Moving Emby Server to another Windows 10 Computer

JeremyR

JeremyR

So a NUC8i7BEH fell into my hands and I am going to move my Emby Server to a much newer machine. (Been using an old Phenom X4 970 but working very nicely.)

I looked in the docs and searched the forum, but didn't find any specific instructions. Is there anything special I need to do. My libraries are on separate large drives, so I don't think I will have any issues there. How is key transferred to new machine?

GrimReaper

That's a great little machine you've got there, I've been having NUC8i5BEK as my portable server for few years now, serving 10ish clients when it's in use - half of them transcoding at any given time - and it doesn't break a sweat, that Iris Plus with QS really does the job. Never stress-tested it to check what's the actual limit, but truth be told, it's a bit of an overkill, I can imagine i7 only to be even more so, but you'll have plenty of headroom. 

As far as transferring go, with all conditions being equal, try to keep your external drive letters same, so Server Configuration Backup plugin should make restoring your users and library definitions quite an easy and straightforward process. There's no special procedure involved to transfer Premiere key (as it is not tied to any server but user), just insert it into new server instance and you should be good to go. 

Edited by GrimReaper76
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

JeremyR
11 hours ago, GrimReaper76 said:

That's a great little machine you've got there, I've been having NUC8i5BEK as my portable server for few years now, serving 10ish clients when it's in use - half of them transcoding at any given time - and it doesn't break a sweat, that Iris Plus with QS really does the job. Never stress-tested it to check what's the actual limit, but truth be told, it's a bit of an overkill, I can imagine i7 only to be even more so, but you'll have plenty of headroom. 

As far as transferring go, with all conditions being equal, try to keep your external drive letters same, so Server Configuration Backup plugin should make restoring your users and library definitions quite an easy and straightforward process. There's no special procedure involved to transfer Premiere key (as it is not tied to any server but user), just insert it into new server instance and you should be good to go. 

Thanks for the info on your NUC8i5! I feel pretty good about grabbing this machine then. I can't believe all that power in a 4x4x3 box!

You mentioned the back up plug-in. I don't have that set up, yet, so I need to do that. Are there any specific docs I should read? (This was exactly the heads-up I was hoping for.)

Thanks!

Edited by JeremyR

GrimReaper

Yup, throw an eye here:

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159936-configuration-backup

If you store nfos and artwork together with your media, restore process will be even faster. (Hint: if that's the case and you disconect your internet connection while doing so - or disable all inbuilt meta-scrapers AND subtitle providers - it'll be faster still). 

• Like 1

JeremyR

I always have a tendency to try to read doc first, then play.  I do store my nfo and other data in with the media. Great!

• Like 1

Happy2Play

In theory if you have no customized paths and library paths are the same when you change machines, you can copy the entire Emby-Server folder from one machine to the other.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1