Emby doesnt start on my Tizen anymore

Waldemar Jost

FrostByte
29 minutes ago, schamane said:

but if it would be in the store it would update itself right?

So what is the issue with adding it to the store?

Yes, when I was using the store it auto updated every month.  Usually a couple weeks behind when it was available via usb

FrostByte
17 minutes ago, k0Lm. said:

Actually, last sideload i did was on feb 3rd 2022, over network instead of usb.

Still works, not updated and no autoupdate included in the build.

What version is that?  I believe there is still a very old version on GitHub still which was compiled before the time bomb started getting added.

k0Lm.
9 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

What version is that?  I believe there is still a very old version on GitHub still which was compiled before the time bomb started getting added.

I was referring to a non-emby app that was build and signed on that date.

Im not gonna fiddle with old builds to use emby. However, i might use an alternative app to use with emby server which works as of today.

schamane
19 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

Yes, when I was using the store it auto updated every month.  Usually a couple weeks behind when it was available via usb

But did u have to stay in US settings for that or can u switch bach after the installation to EU?

And do u need an US IP to use the US store?

@Luke 

Why it is not available in EU Store?

FrostByte
5 minutes ago, schamane said:

But did u have to stay in US settings for that or can u switch bach after the installation to EU?

And do u need an US IP to use the US store?

@Luke 

Why it is not available in EU Store?

Your app region can only be set to one region.  When changing this setting it wipes out all your previous apps and settings.   Because of this you can only have apps installed from one region and if there are local apps only available in your current region which you want/use then you can no longer install them.  

No, you do not need to use a VPN or other method to change your IP to install/use Emby from when changing regions.  I've had mine set at US, Ireland, UK and never had an issue using Emby.  However, the only app I use is Emby so for me it wasn't a big deal changing regions.

SamES
4 hours ago, k0Lm. said:

I was referring to a non-emby app that was build and signed on that date.

Im not gonna fiddle with old builds to use emby. However, i might use an alternative app to use with emby server which works as of today.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by side-loaded over the network, not USB.  Do you mean using the source code and downloading to the TV in developer mode?

k0Lm.
8 hours ago, SamES said:

I'm not quite sure what you mean by side-loaded over the network, not USB.  Do you mean using the source code and downloading to the TV in developer mode?

Exactly

SamES
1 hour ago, k0Lm. said:

Exactly

The 30 day expiry comes from the Samsung encrypted packaging process, which is the only way to deploy a usb release for testing. 

As the source for this client is not published, deploying it in developer mode is not possible for users. 

schamane

So still the question is, why is it not available in EU Store but in US?

Is this about Fees or what is the issue here?

2 hours ago, schamane said:

So still the question is, why is it not available in EU Store but in US?

Is this about Fees or what is the issue here?

There's more discussion here: 

But yes, we can only be in their worldwide store if we're making them money.

schamane

Hm, thats sad

A really dumb decission from Samung, especially with no one else using Tizen.

I guess u are not allowed to talk about that, but is it expensive or wouldn´t it be possible to sell the app for a euro in the store, so the expanses will be spent by the users?

schamane

would there  be a possibility to make it a purchasable app, like I don´t know 1 or 2 euro once?

I would rather pay a few euros instead of reinstalling it every 30 days.

Even if it would be nice to know how expensive it is, cause I mean I bought a License to use emby client 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

SamES
4 hours ago, schamane said:

would there  be a possibility to make it a purchasable app, like I don´t know 1 or 2 euro once?

I would rather pay a few euros instead of reinstalling it every 30 days.

Even if it would be nice to know how expensive it is, cause I mean I bought a License to use emby client 

It’s an interesting idea. I suspect there would be more than a few people willing to pay a small amount for the convenience of having it in the store. 

Whether that’s possible, and if it solves the issues is a different question. 

• 3 weeks later...
Hrki87

Hi,

This is not a critique but am just curious. If Samsung have 30 day period after which will "block" applications installed thru USB, why Smart IPTV (siptv.eu/howto/sammy) still working after 30 days but Emby stopped yesterday. Both applications are installed last month on same way (thru USB).

Edited by Hrki87

FrostByte
6 minutes ago, Hrki87 said:

Hi,

This is not a critique but am just curious. If Samsung have 30 day period after will "block" applications installed thru USB, why Smart IPTV (siptv.eu/howto/sammy) still working after 30 days (installed thru USB) but Emby stopped yesterday. Both applications are installed last month.

• When was it compiled?  This hasn't always been the policy
  • is the same Smart IPTV app also available in the store?
  • does it also bring in revenue like Emby does or is it free?

Hrki87
2 hours ago, FrostByte said:
  • When was it compiled?  This hasn't always been the policy
  • is the same Smart IPTV app also available in the store?
  • does it also bring in revenue like Emby does or is it free?

It was compiled on March, Smart IPTV is not available on store and its trial (10 days to pay).

Edited by Hrki87

FrostByte

I don't know for sure but would guess if they aren't in the store they don't have to play by Samsung's rules.  The SDK is available for free to download by anyone.

SamES

Just keep checking their app on your tv. I’ll be interested to see if the same installation is still working by the end of May. 

I think their 30 days might not be exact. Maybe it’s 35 or 37 or maybe even it’s a bit variable, but they tell us it’s about 30 days, so that’s what we work with. 

Hrki87

Ok i will wait few days, but emby was installed after Smart IPTV application so its kinda odd.

k0Lm.
15 hours ago, Hrki87 said:

It was compiled on March

Looking at the files it was compiled back in 2019, compiling means (in this case) making a widget from project files, not when f.e. you sideload the widget on your tv.

Edit: if they would update the project they need to recompile it again and that would mean that they also have the 30-day security bs.

Edited by k0Lm.
  • Like 3