DS920+ low H265 / HEVC 4K transcoding rate on Windows Chrome

YuanminWang

YuanminWang
4 hours ago, cayars said:

It plays fine for me with tone mapping as it's an HDR file.

Thanks for the feedback.

When I enabled 'tone mapping' in AUTO mode, and playback using Chrome on my win10 laptop it absolutely crushed my NAS with 99.99% CPU usage.

However before the playback frozen, i took a look at a few frames of the picture, which seems to be render corrected.

I also tried 'tone mapping' in HARDWARE only mode, same issue as before, i.e.: slow rendering framerate of 8.8 only, and picture been washed-out.

image.thumb.png.f6e8a45e9bc8d8496cad5405232d779b.png

Right the cpu usage is normal unfortunately when tone mapping. It is just a very expensive operation. Browsers do not support HDR, so the only you can get accurate color when playing it is via server transcoding tone mapping. But in order to do that, you need a server machine that is powerful enough. Our CPU tone mapping is the fastest in the industry, and yet even then, it is still a very costly process.

What you may want to consider instead is playing with a native Emby app rather than the web app so that you can direct play the video with HDR support and without the need for server transcoding.

I also tried 'tone mapping' in HARDWARE only mode, same issue as before, i.e.: slow rendering framerate of 8.8 only, and picture been washed-out.

Does your GPU support HDR tone mapping? If not then it will just fallback to software transcoding which brings us back to what I mentioned above.

YuanminWang
36 minutes ago, Luke said:

Right the cpu usage is normal unfortunately when tone mapping. It is just a very expensive operation. Browsers do not support HDR, so the only you can get accurate color when playing it is via server transcoding tone mapping. But in order to do that, you need a server machine that is powerful enough. Our CPU tone mapping is the fastest in the industry, and yet even then, it is still a very costly process.

What you may want to consider instead is playing with a native Emby app rather than the web app so that you can direct play the video with HDR support and without the need for server transcoding.

Does your GPU support HDR tone mapping? If not then it will just fallback to software transcoding which brings us back to what I mentioned above.

very clear, thanks Luke