Audio sync issue with live TV/recorded TV

vesati

This has been an ongoing problem for a few months now.

When watching live TV through Emby, be it in browser or through Emby Theater on my main computer, the audio slowly becomes out of sync with the video.

After an hour, the delay is upwards of a full second.

My live TV is through HDHR Prime, using the native HDHomerun abilities of Emby.

This delay also occurs when watching recorded TV through Emby.

The delay does NOT occur using the HDHomerun View app on the same computer.

This delay does NOT occur for other video media streaming through Emby on the same computer.

Oddly, I have NOT seen this delay happen when streaming to my Android phone or Windows tablet, using the Emby app on my phone and Emby in browser on the tablet.

The delay only occurs on the source machine.

I have swapped out the video card already (Nvidia 660ti for an Nvidia GTX 970), and I've updated all video drivers.

Audio on the affected PC is simply through the same HDMI that carries the video.

For reference's sake, I'm running Emby Premiere version 3.0.6400.0.

blade005

vesati,

I have encountered this audio sync issue, but only in Emby Theater, and only with Recordings using Emby Live TV and HD Homerun Connect. Recordings with Window Media Center did not show the issue. I was chasing all of the Audio settings in Emby Theater, but eventually what worked for me was to change the Video Renderer setting in Emby Theater from DEFAULT to EVR. This immediately corrected the issue of audio slowly falling out of sync with Emby Live TV Recordings in Emby Theater and all other media continued to work as expected without syncing issues. I haven't seen the issue with Web Client, Android App or Emby WMC. Some of this may have to do with whether the media is direct playing or being transcoded, based on the client. My issue seemed to be with Direct Play media, such as Recorded TV, with Emby Theater client.

Not sure if this helps, but thought I would at least share what worked for me with Emby Theater settings.

Edited by blade005

I tried as you suggested, but no difference.

I've tried EVR, EVR+, and MadVR, and they all become slowly out of sync.

I've also tried changing the audio filter from Default, to Reclock, to WSAPI.

The only difference is that using WSAPI, the volume is at full blast, with no ability to turn it down.

I really wish this worked, as the DVR and Live TV functions were why I became an Emby Premiere supporter in the first place.

I'm at a loss for what other options are left.

I wonder if there is an issue in your tv stream. We already have audio sync enabled for Emby Theater. In my testing I cannot reproduce this issue, both on live tv and recordings. I would ensure you're running the latest firmware for the HDHR.

I wonder if there is an issue in your tv stream. We already have audio sync enabled for Emby Theater. In my testing I cannot reproduce this issue, both on live tv and recordings. I would ensure you're running the latest firmware for the HDHR.

That was my thought too, so I upgraded my firmware over the last weekend to the latest, but it didn't seem to make any difference at all.

Playing live/recorded TV in Emby Theater, Emby indicates it is direct playing, not transcoding.

My suspicion is that it is SOMETHING to do with that computer itself that causes Emby to slowly lose sync.

The frustrating thing is that this doesn't happen using the HDHomerun View Windows app. It only seems to be limited to Emby.

Shot in the dark...is there any known issue with Emby playing HDHomerun content directly on a machine using an Nvidia GPU?

blade005

That was my thought too, so I upgraded my firmware over the last weekend to the latest, but it didn't seem to make any difference at all.

Playing live/recorded TV in Emby Theater, Emby indicates it is direct playing, not transcoding.

My suspicion is that it is SOMETHING to do with that computer itself that causes Emby to slowly lose sync.

The frustrating thing is that this doesn't happen using the HDHomerun View Windows app. It only seems to be limited to Emby.

Shot in the dark...is there any known issue with Emby playing HDHomerun content directly on a machine using an Nvidia GPU?

I encountered the sync issue on two machines with Intel HD Graphics.

blade005

Luke,

If there is an issue with the TV Stream, Direct Play in Emby Theater with Audio and Video rendering set to default is the only client that presents the audio sync issue for me.

The same HD Homerun Recording played on the clients below, had these results:

- Emby Theater - Direct Play - Audio Renderer set to DEFAULT, Video Renderer set to DEFAULT - Audio Sync Issue

- Emby WMC - Direct Play - No Audio Issues

- Android Mobile - Transcoding - No Audio Issues

- Web Client - Transcoding - No Audio Issues

- Media Player Classic - Direct Play - No Audio Issues

And the fix for me:

- Emby Theater - Direct Play - Audio Renderer set to DEFAULT, Video Renderer set to EVR - No Audio Issues

blade005

I see OK. Then why not use the default audio renderer?

Luke,

I am using the Default audio renderer. I had to change the Video Renderer from Default to EVR in Emby Theater settings to correct the sync issue.

I encountered the sync issue on two machines with Intel HD Graphics.

I DID have the Intel HD graphics on my computer enabled at one point, as I was testing the QuickSync hardware encoding capability in Emby, but it didn't work reliably, so I switched to NVENC and disabled the Intel graphics in the BIOS.

The computer is only using the Nvidia GTX970 at this point.

blade005

I DID have the Intel HD graphics on my computer enabled at one point, as I was testing the QuickSync hardware encoding capability in Emby, but it didn't work reliably, so I switched to NVENC and disabled the Intel graphics in the BIOS.

The computer is only using the Nvidia GTX970 at this point.

I am not using any Hardware Acceleration settings with Intel HD graphics. Might be worth a test to turn back on Intel HD Graphics with no HW Acceleration and try different Video Rendering options in Emby Theater to see if it corrects audio sync issue. Might not be your ultimate choice of setup, but at least you will know there is a setup that will work.

Just a thought.

I am not using any Hardware Acceleration settings with Intel HD graphics. Might be worth a test to turn back on Intel HD Graphics with no HW Acceleration and try different Video Rendering options in Emby Theater to see if it corrects audio sync issue. Might not be your ultimate choice of setup, but at least you will know there is a setup that will work.

Just a thought.

I think I already tried this, but I tried again this morning just to be sure.

Sadly, no difference.

Guest asrequested

Can I ask you to post screenshots, and all info of your HDHR firmware, Intel driver version, ET config etc? I feel like there's something we're missing. My system is very similar to yours and I have no issues. Maybe I can spot something.

• 3 weeks later...

Can I ask you to post screenshots, and all info of your HDHR firmware, Intel driver version, ET config etc? I feel like there's something we're missing. My system is very similar to yours and I have no issues. Maybe I can spot something.

Sorry for the delay. I haven't been home enough lately to really sit down and troubleshoot this more.

HDHomerun info

Model: HDHR3-CC 
Firmware: 20160902beta3

NVIDIA info
Model: GTX 970
Driver: 372.90

Audio/video configuration
On-board Realtek chip is disabled in the BIOS/UEFI, no drivers installed for it in the OS, no hidden devices for it in Device Manager.
For simplicity's sake, audio is handled by the NVIDIA GTX 970, routed over HDMI to a Samsung HDTV, optical-out from the HDTV to a 2.1 speaker set.

The on-board Intel graphics is also disabled in the BIOS/UEFI, no drivers installed for it in the OS, no hidden devices for it in Device Manager.

I'm attaching my directshowplayer.xml config file so you can see how my Emby Theater install is currently configured.

I'm currently set on default everything, except the video render (which is set to MadVR). The sync issue occurs no matter what (but only for live TV and non-transcoded recorded TV), but MadVR will at least deinterlace the video from my HDHomerun. EVR and EVR+ won't no matter what I set.

I have already tried removing the tuner from my Emby server config and re-adding it back. No difference.

For reference, viewing live TV using the HDHomerun official app does not suffer from this sync issue.

EDIT: Is it possible at all to force Emby to transcode HDHomeRun content (live or recorded), regardless of whether or not the player CAN direct-play?
I only ask because this only seems to occur with direct-play, not with transcoded content.

directshowplayer.xml

Edited by vesati

Guest asrequested

Sorry for the delay. I haven't been home enough lately to really sit down and troubleshoot this more.

HDHomerun info

Model: HDHR3-CC 
Firmware: 20160902beta3

NVIDIA info
Model: GTX 970
Driver: 372.90

Audio/video configuration
On-board Realtek chip is disabled in the BIOS/UEFI, no drivers installed for it in the OS, no hidden devices for it in Device Manager.
For simplicity's sake, audio is handled by the NVIDIA GTX 970, routed over HDMI to a Samsung HDTV, optical-out from the HDTV to a 2.1 speaker set.

That might be an issue. It might be the TV doing this. A conversion is taking place, and it may be glitching a little. Have you tried optical directly to the speakers from the computer? As you don't have greater than 5.1, you can enable your realtek and use the optical on the motherboard, (assuming there is one). In your position, that's how I would do it. Do you have it configured this way because you sometimes use the TV speakers? If so, does it lose sync then, too?

That might be an issue. It might be the TV doing this. A conversion is taking place, and it may be glitching a little. Have you tried optical directly to the speakers from the computer? As you don't have greater than 5.1, you can enable your realtek and use the optical on the motherboard, (assuming there is one). In your position, that's how I would do it. Do you have it configured this way because you sometimes use the TV speakers? If so, does it lose sync then, too?

At one time, I did have the Reatek enabled, and the optical ran directly from there to the speakers. There was delay even then, but again only on Emby and only on live TV and recorded TV.

I disabled the on-board Realtek and switched to the NVIDIA output a few months ago, hoping that by simplifying the audio setup by having fewer audio devices on the computer it might solve this issue.

Other MPEG2/AC3 media does not seem to have this problem in Emby, nor does any other media, and as I said, there is absolutely no problem using the official HD View app for the HDHR on the same computer.

Edited by vesati

Guest asrequested

(but only for live TV and non-transcoded recorded TV), 

When you play the recorded show in a different player, is the sync issue present?

EDIT: Is it possible at all to force Emby to transcode HDHomeRun content (live or recorded), regardless of whether or not the player CAN direct-play?

I only ask because this only seems to occur with direct-play, not with transcoded content.

Not for live play back, but if you set is to covert to MP4 or MKV, it will transcode it. This is what I do.

57e49180e5062_Snapshot_256.jpg

When you play the recorded show in a different player, is the sync issue present?

Not for live play back, but if you set is to covert to MP4 or MKV, it will transcode it. This is what I do.

57e49180e5062_Snapshot_256.jpg

Playing back the recorded TV in VLC, there is NO sync issue.

That was how I determined that it was specifically an issue in Emby.

In the last few days, I have started automatically transcoding new recordings. That gets around the problem for recordings for now.

So the issue would seem not to be with the HDHR, its playback of MPEG2 .ts files.

Since live and recorded TV plays back fine in everything else on the same computer, the problem does seem to be restricted to just Emby.

• 2 weeks later...

So the audio sync issue started happening in the HDHomeRun VIEW app too.

Oddly, if I open the direct play stream from my HDHomeRun Prime in VLC, it plays in sync for hours and hours with no issue at all.

I've settled for a work-around for now.

In Emby Theater, under General settings, I've limited the bitrate to 1080 - 15Mbps.

This forces transcoding of live and recorded TV no matter what, while sacrificing very little quality, and ultimately I'd rather lost a bit of quality to have the audio in sync again.

So far, this is working.

I know it's not a "solution", but for anyone else who might be having this problem, it is at least a viable work-around.