How to set up Playon?

BrettM

Hi All,

I have just purchased the Playon plugin, I'm not sure how to set it up I have it on the Emby WMC when I open the emby MWC and go to Playon when I open it I can see the different folders ie: Kids, Movies and TV ect when I hit enter on the keyboard I get a message "No Items".

When I go into the server and into the setup of Playon it has 2 settings:PlayOn IP:where do I find the IP for Playon?

I have the cache set at 2.

Regards

Brett

Hi, you might want to send a PM to the developer of the plugin, snazy2000, so that he can get notified about this. Thanks.

Sammy

I've sort of given up on the PlayOn Plugin due to speed issues and stability problems but have you entered all your log in information into the PlayOn Configuration Screen and verified that it is working there?

• 10 months later...

I've sort of given up on the PlayOn Plugin due to speed issues and stability problems but have you entered all your log in information into the PlayOn Configuration Screen and verified that it is working there?

Just looking through PlayOn issues before purchasing.  What exactly are the speed and stability issues?  Is this a PlayOn issue or is this a plug in issue?  Anyone know if there have been any improvements since Aug 2016?  That is just about a year ago.

Sammy

Just looking through PlayOn issues before purchasing. What exactly are the speed and stability issues? Is this a PlayOn issue or is this a plug in issue? Anyone know if there have been any improvements since Aug 2016? That is just about a year ago.

Load times for playback and locking up Emby are the biggest issues I have seen.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Spaceboy

Just tried this out yesterday as I've had a PlayOn licence for years. It wasn't speedy but mostly things seemed to be working

thanks.  I too have had a playon license for years.  I likes the idea but have never found a use for it.  I was hoping Emby would be the think that makes PlayOn useful.

Spaceboy

I've used it to get one series from Netflix that wasn't otherwise available anywhere else

nagetech

I've seen this plugin a few times....I'm curious what exactly does it do? Does it let me stream Netflix shows through emby using lets say my netflix account? or just an easier way to record from netfix / amazon prime etc

I've seen this plugin a few times....I'm curious what exactly does it do? Does it let me stream Netflix shows through emby using lets say my netflix account? or just an easier way to record from netfix / amazon prime etc

What you need to do is go over to the PlayOn website and learn about it there.

nagetech

Yes I did, what I'm asking is (as I don't want to pay for something without understanding what it does fully) is , does it like add a channel to emby...so if I am on ET on my xbox 1, is there a "play on" channel that when clicked on allows me to stream shows from my amazon prime account staright to my xbox1 ET ?

Spaceboy

Yes I did, what I'm asking is (as I don't want to pay for something without understanding what it does fully) is , does it like add a channel to emby...so if I am on ET on my xbox 1, is there a "play on" channel that when clicked on allows me to stream shows from my amazon prime account staright to my xbox1 ET ?

netflix appears to work like this, i don't seem to be able to get to Amazon Prime, just the free stuff. It doesnt work if i set it to the UK, which is where i am. i have only tested for a few mins

I may be wrong, but this is what I thought it might be useful for.  If someone were to purchase DirecTV Now, they would not be able to record these channels with Emby, but using your DirecTV Now account, you could use PlayOn to record internet versions of channels that were available on DirecTV Now  and then access these recordings from the same Emby interface.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm considering subscribing to Directv Now as well and want to know this very thing. I understand PlayOn is the only way to record Directv Now but well does either application integrate to Emby. I still just want to use one interface for home media. Will Emby + PlayOn + Directv Now give me that? And how well does it work?

@@Luke or @@ebr... will Emby ever natively support streaming services like Directv Now, Playstation Vue or Slingtv? It would be nice to just be able to access ones subscription directly from Emby.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• 3 years later...
wakirk2002

Lets ask the question a different way...

For those who have gotten Emby+PlayOn plugin to work, what did you fill in the PlayOn IP and Cache fields?

Do I need to do something specific on the PlayOn side to help this along?  (folders, settings, etc)

Thanks.

Edit:  I can not get this to work, Anything that sound too good to be true typically is, 

Bottom line,  DO NOT BUY THIS PLUGIN, it DOES NOT WORK.

I did get Hulu to populate some stuff, but nothing works and the folders are empty.

Don't buy this thing, and if you do, don't say I didn't warn you.

Edit: 2.  Well, the folders did show up with items, but it says "No comparable stream" or some such error message.

So, sure, it shows entries, but nothing plays.  It plays in PlayOn, but the plugin is not being maintained and I've seen a lot of posters here say they have not heard back from the author and Emby won't directly support it, so, yea, don't get this.

Edited by wakirk2002
Update

• 2 months later...
Chalklands

I concur with wakirk2002. KEEP AWAY! I thought I'd try it for maybe recording Netflix, Amazon etc. Installed and uninstalled after an hour. Looks like you need to purchase a subscription to record anything, which is the only use I can see, but if I can't test it without paying up front, what is the point? Anyhow, it slowed my laptop down and I couldn't even get the plugin to find my existing media library as it asks for an IP address or something with no pointers as to what that is or how to find it.

Why is EMBY still showing this as an addon?

AVOID!

This IMHO should be removed from the catalog.  It just doesn't work and causes confusion.
Right now it's a dead plugin.

image.png

The price thing is also looking broken. Something is off about it.

all4dom

I went in the plugin to try & play a recorded show yesterday & it didnt work. It is a nice feature to have but i am unsure how many people use this besides me. If snazzy is unable to upkeep this plug in then maybe the development team could just make it a permanent feature for emby, but if not it should be removed. I dont care about the 5 dollars but it is wrong to maintain it in the plug list allowing people to buy a defective plug in & in the end this reflects poorly on emby as a whole. I have been a user for along time going back to the media browser days with sam so I am not here to make anyone angry but I wanted to share. I would be willing to pay for the plugin again if someone else took it over. I'm not disparaging snazzy or the emby development team in anyway but believe the playon plugin issue should be resolved once & for all.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
snazy2000

Hi All,

Just want to check in regarding the PlayOn Plugin.

Firstly I want to say sorry for not picking this up sooner other things in my life have taken my time away from this.

I have been doing some digging with the newest version of PlayOn Server and it appears that PlayOn have removed the mobile site at some point (guessing because the whole thing was based on Flash which is now dead) The Emby PlayOn Plugin uses that to get the info it needs to display anything.

It also appears Playon have removed the ability to stream without recording first which the Emby plugin wouldn't be able to support anyway even if there was some API to hook in to which it appears after port scanning there isn't.

So I'm going to be taking the plugin down as soon as I can.

The plugin has a 30 day trial on it which is built in as part of Emby's plugin stuff so there should have never been a need to purchase until that was up and I'm sorry to the people that have purchased and not got it working, I did try for few people to get it working and some were successful and some weren't, I personally when was using this when first developed had no issues I think everyone's setup was slightly different.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Sammy

Yeah, PlayOn took away a few things over the last few months / years. I used to be able to login remotely using the app on my phone to grab stuff from different sources to place them into the library Emby uses. Now this only works on the LAN or if I remote into my PC and do it using the desktop app if on the WAN.. Their support said it wasn't being used much so they didn't want to bother up keeping it. I think they just wanted to move to the monthly payment scheme they now have with the mobile app.