NVENC with Chromecast

deanylev

deanylev

I really like the NVENC feature on the beta build, works wonderfully with my GTX 950, except not at all on Chromecast, the video is just black and never starts playing. Is this easily fixable? Otherwise I'll have to upgrade my server's CPU and motherboard to an Intel combo to use Quick Sync, not something I'd like to do.

Sorry if I sound like I'm complaining, I realize NVENC is experimental. Keep up the good work :)

Edited by dean.e.levinson

deanylev

Thanks for the report. Can you please provide the transcoding log from this activity?

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/739-how-to-report-a-problem/

Thanks.

Oh, of course, stupid me :)

Here's the server log, transcoding log and ffmpeg log.

server-63605648434.txt

transcode-659001f1-d8b4-4e49-a9a8-ed6751e4bbdc.txt

ffmpeg-sub-extract-e5d649d1-a2b2-42cf-a9c6-b6e113a145cf.txt

deanylev

Okay, now I'm completely lost. Yesterday GPU transcoding worked fine through the web client, and now, I've downgraded to 3.1.83.0, and even to the stable release, and it's broken, it spits out 'there was an error playing this video'.

Little bit sad :(

It sounds to me like the issue is not Emby related and is instead something related to the gpu or drivers.

• Like 1

deanylev

It sounds to me like the issue is not Emby related and is instead something related to the gpu or drivers.

Oh ok. I'm going to clean out the drivers and reinstall :)

deanylev

a quick reboot might be a good first thing to try.

Tried rebooting, and reinstalling graphics drivers - no dice. Might try downgrade the driver to an older one.

deanylev

Just sold the GTX 950, going to buy an Intel CPU + Mobo combo and enable Quick Sync. Thanks for trying Luke :)

You're not going crazy.  The ffmpeg distributed with emby wasn't compiled with hardware acceleration enabled.  All you have to do is download the latest ffmpeg and point emby to it.  Hardware acceleration works again.

You're not going crazy.  The ffmpeg distributed with emby wasn't compiled with hardware acceleration enabled.  All you have to do is download the latest ffmpeg and point emby to it.  Hardware acceleration works again.

It does have quicksync just not nvenc. the lack of support won't cause a failure though as the server will detect that it's not available and won't use it.