Local Network Server connection issues

Tharnax

Tharnax

Given that all attempts to clone/restore my WHS OS drive to an SSD failed, I decided it would be less challenging to just reinstall WHS on the SSD drive.

Upon completing the OS install I reinstalled EMBY on to the server.  EMBY is working great and extremely fast now on the server, however, I cannot access it over the local network.  Plugging the server and a PC directly into the same router or even switch the PC cannot see the EMBY server.

I was running running the stable version of EMBY first, then tried changing to the current beta version.  This hasn't resolved the issue.  On the PC when I type in the server address with :8096 as per the dashboard the browser times out with the message IP took to long to respond.

Roku can't see the server, Nvidia Shield can't see the server but the server can see other networked devices.  See EMBY Server screen shot.  I'm at my wits end trying to figure out what is wrong.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Server Logs: https://paste2.org/24sBJIVJ

Thank you in advance!

post-87-0-77934400-1469803367_thumb.jpg

post-87-0-50806300-1469803431_thumb.jpg

Tharnax

Hi @@Luke - thank for responding.

Unfortunately, I've gone through all the steps and no such luck.

I've attached both the Windows Firewall changes to confirm the server will accept inbound connections on port 80.  I've also confirmed that the port forwarding on the server is setup for both LAN ports, even though 192.168.1.19 is the one listed on the dashboard.  I even disconnected the alternative LAN port so that only one LAN port was in use and confirmed it was the static IP of 192.168.1.19.

There are no viruses on the computer and the server OS was installed fresh yesterday.  Also, not that it should matter but WHS has been successfully activated.

Other internet based services to the server are working as expected. - TeamViewer, BitSync, etc.  As well internally there are no issues with other intranet based services - Remote Desktop, network mapping, WHS Dashboard connectivity.  Even when I attempt to use the WHS built in Remote Desktop functionality using the WAN network IP, I get the appropriate certificate error.  Which means using the WAN IP the server is visible over the internet.

I'm really at a loss, if I replace the hard drive with the original hard drive there are no issues with accessing EMBY over the exact same network and the servers have the same configuration.  

Can't figure out why one works fine (albeit slowly) and one doesn't work at all.

post-87-0-69273000-1469809409_thumb.jpg

post-87-0-41033300-1469809417_thumb.jpg

Tharnax

Sorry @@Luke - I was stupid!  Frustration with the whole server blinded my common sense.  I added port 80 to the Windows Firewall manually as per the attached instructions as a link from the page you provided.  @@Happy2Play made me realize I needed to create the inbound rule for port 8096, not port 80.   :ph34r:

As soon as I add that my issues were resolved.  Who knew such a small thing could cause soooo many headaches.  I'm wondering if there would be a better way to direct someone in the page you provided.  Like copy the "How to open a port in Windows Firewall" and just modify the instructions and screen shots to be EMBY specific.  I've I have some time I'll try to do that in a word doc, then maybe you can create a page on the github Wiki which contains these step by step instructions by are for EMBY specifically.

Happy2Play

I believe on the newer OSes this is already done for you.  On my Win 10 test machine it was configured during the installation process automatically.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
prtsbyaj

I am having connection issues as well. 

Server Configuration.

HP Desktop

Win 7

I installed EMBY, associated a library of videos, all is well. Go to ROKU EMBY App. Cannot find server. I went through the Connection Troubleshooter. I created a new rule set port 4096 to accept all connections. Still cannot find. I disabled the Firewall. ROKU EMBY finds server fine. I go back to firewall and re-enable and open all ports EMBY cannot see server. I went to Port forward in the Router and forwarded 4096 to IP address of server. I have now reset Firewall rule to open only 4096. Still cannot see. Seems to be in Firewall. Looking for suggestions.

tks