Great Regret - but things are not as they were.

qjcary

qjcary

I have been a supporter and user of all incarnations of Media Browser and Emby, but it is with great regret that today I have finally had enough of searching the web and forums to find a solution to a problem that didn't exist until the latest release of Emby was installed on to my network.

The original, Media Browser, that ran off of my server and used WMC to present a smooth flowing, themed movie experience was great. I could run trailers, my owned adverts and different sets of pre-movie entertainment, just like the old days of the cinema. I could also configure external players to play different type of movies, inc. 3D with Stereoscopic player (the only true 3d movie player); fantastic.

I have supported the venture, lost features when the keys were changed, but accepted that, paid more to support this great work, gained back some features, but continued to get frustrated more and more as what had worked previously was just removed.

Why? Just because the interface has been made to look slick and fit in with the new look of the OSs out there today does not mean the product is superior. What has been missed is the usability, the functionality and worse of all the users needs. There are many asks for things to be brought back, usually in the form of the old version used to work, what happened?

So I post this farewell note as I look to build my cinema experience with others offering, wish you all well in the future, but provide this note of caution; you were offering a product that your customer wanted, but without consolation you changed it, and it is likely that as time moves forward that your support will diminish and you will have only a handful of users.

The world is changing, streaming and high speed connections means we have more choice and so if you continue to offer a service that supports only those who like to tinker and are not actually looking to have a fully functioning entertainment setup, you will not survive.

I hope I am wrong, and you start to listen to the those who ask for old functionality to be brought back, it is not always true that change brings improvement; there is more to service than just producing a development within ones own bubble.

Goodbye.

To what features, specifically, are you referring?

This is only your second post in 2 1/2 years.

fredg89

To what features, specifically, are you referring?

This is only your second post in 2 1/2 years.

Don't Pander to this troll. Good riddance. 

dcook

He makes a good point, features and functionality that existed has been removed without consideration, and despite many users complaining has not been restored.  

In my case there are 2 issues that previously worked and since been removed, I am sure there are many many more that have effected other users like the OP

1) Collections Dynamic Sliced Images, was removed apparently because it was not respecting parental controls, instead of fixing the issue, the feature was just removed

2) Link in the Dashboard to edit other users profiles was removed, and now the only way to access these is to login as that user.  

Again more functionality removed and make things more difficult for us trying to manage our servers.

Please stop adding new features, restore what used to work, fix all the bugs that users reported and once we have a stable version, then work on adding new features in the future.

• Like 1

FrostByte

I think the OP is just a troll also, but yes there have been some functions removed which I still can't figure out why also

The ability to scroll within a playlist was removed which I have no clue why.  Makes it impossible for those of us with large playlists to modify without first modifying a certain json file after every release because you can only see the first 200 items without it.  Once modified then loading a 2000+ item playlist on one page takes forever.  Removing scrolling causes a huge degradation in speed with Emby for me

overClocked!

I think the OP does make a good point. Trolling or not, at least it was done tastefully and respectfully. Too bad no specifics were given to give credence to his/her gripes.

I, personally have seen features come and go and come back more enhanced. So I'm sure eventually when it makes sense to do some of these things, the guys will.

Can't please everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by overClocked!

The OP makes no argument, didnt try to embellish, kept it simple and polite.

But the the truth is, you take the good, you take the bad, you take them both and there you have, the facts of life. Nobody promised you a rose garden or both cake, along with the ability to eat it. Compromise is that feeling where you want the red porsche spider, she wants the bmw e series, you compromise and get a volvo. In this case the OP has filed for divorce, obtained his red porsche, and hasnt talk to his ex since.

In terms of how mb2 was a smaller niche or users and a constrained ecosystem it was easy to please most everybody. With mb3, things are much more complicated, but for the most part was working well, but there was a drought of apps. Now with emby, most devices have native apps, a few need some better fleshing out, but for the most part you cant complain for what you get. Some apps get more love than others, it is noticeable. Its all about time and resources, and familiarity with each device.

You can tell the OP of the topic didnt venture forth outside the WMC garden very far. Half of his post was telling emby to move forward, when they are the ones stuck pining for the past. He wants a full movie theater experience and he just didnt look closer at ET.

I did like the part about emby drying up and circling the drain. That was just thrown in for spite and not necessary. The rest I do agree on. Too bad he wasnt more able to share what features are missing and from which screens otherwise maybe a WMC developer wouldve listened to ther observations and upgrade those features. Without such, one is left to wonder what country the person was from. Obviously they arent native english. I am guessing russian? Maybe german or dutch? Maybe its a korean?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

Guest asrequested

But the the truth is, you take the good, you take the bad, you take them both and there you have, the facts of life. Nobody promised you a rose garden or both cake, along with the ability to eat it. Compromise is that feeling where you want the red porsche spider, she wants the bmw e series, you compromise and get a volvo. In this case the OP has filed for divorce, obtained his red porsche, and hasn't talk to his ex since.

LMAO! Emby is a Volvo.  :D

He communicated the divorce over email, emptied bank accounts, and gets visitstion of the kids every thursday from 5pm-8pm.

Should I have said Subaru?

Also I didnt say emby was a car. I said if youve been in a relationship for awhile, like he was with emby, you learn to compromise. Things get better given enough time. It was just something funny to make the guy hopefully post a bit more in this thread he created. Unfortunately, the dude has probably bailed on this thread and isnt looking back. Oh well...

Edited by speechles

Guest asrequested

He communicated the divorce over email, emptied bank accounts, and gets visitstion of the kids every thursday from 5pm-8pm.

Should I have said Subaru?

Also I didnt say emby was a car. I said if youve been in a relationship for awhile, like he was with emby, you learn to compromise. Things get better given enough time. It was just something funny to make the guy hopefully post a bit more in this thread he created. Unfortunately, the dude has probably bailed on this thread and isnt looking back. Oh well...

I was laughing at your humorous analogy, in that Emby was the result of the compromise (the volvo)  :)   Some of you guys just crack me up  :D

the1legend

But the the truth is, you take the good, you take the bad, you take them both and there you have, the facts of life. Nobody promised you a rose garden or both cake, along with the ability to eat it. Compromise is that feeling where you want the red porsche spider, she wants the bmw e series, you compromise and get a volvo. In this case the OP has filed for divorce, obtained his red porsche, and hasnt talk to his ex since.

In terms of how mb2 was a smaller niche or users and a constrained ecosystem it was easy to please most everybody. With mb3, things are much more complicated, but for the most part was working well, but there was a drought of apps. Now with emby, most devices have native apps, a few need some better fleshing out, but for the most part you cant complain for what you get. Some apps get more love than others, it is noticeable. Its all about time and resources, and familiarity with each device.

You can tell the OP of the topic didnt venture forth outside the WMC garden very far. Half of his post was telling emby to move forward, when they are the ones stuck pining for the past. He wants a full movie theater experience and he just didnt look closer at ET.

I did like the part about emby drying up and circling the drain. That was just thrown in for spite and not necessary. The rest I do agree on. Too bad he wasnt more able to share what features are missing and from which screens otherwise maybe a WMC developer wouldve listened to ther observations and upgrade those features. Without such, one is left to wonder what country the person was from. Obviously they arent native english. I am guessing russian? Maybe german or dutch? Maybe its a korean?

I fear you just dated both of us with the first sentence... I actually sang the first line in my head while reading it. :)

• Like 1

breezytm

I do sometime miss the good old days but i also do like some of the new features. I really can't complain. 

Deathsquirrel

I fear you just dated both of us with the first sentence... I actually sang the first line in my head while reading it. :)

Wait, do you mean second sentence?  I can't for the life of me put a tune to "The OP makes no argument, didnt try to embellish, kept it simple and polite." ;)

Thank god I kept reading.  I'm good with tunes and that would have bugged me all day!

overClocked!

Wait, do you mean second sentence? I can't for the life of me put a tune to "The OP makes no argument, didnt try to embellish, kept it simple and polite." ;)

Thank god I kept reading. I'm good with tunes and that would have bugged me all day!

Ha! I was thinking the same. Just re-read that second paragraph and now it makes more sense.

Tootie. My first TV crush. Or was it Linda Carter as Wonder Woman? Or Barbara Eden as Jeannie...Mmmmmmmm...the good ole days. And don't tell me I'm dating myself. I don't like the inference there. [emoji6]

Anyway, @@dcook, I didn't even notice dynamic images or profile admin had been removed. You can re-enable the latter with a check box to transfer that ability back to an admin account.

the1legend

Wait, do you mean second sentence?  I can't for the life of me put a tune to "The OP makes no argument, didnt try to embellish, kept it simple and polite." ;)

Thank god I kept reading.  I'm good with tunes and that would have bugged me all day!

Oh yea, second. I'm not 100% until I've finished my second cup of coffee.  :D

dcook

Where is the checkbox?

You can re-enable the latter with a check box to transfer that ability back to an admin account. 

Ha! I was thinking the same. Just re-read that second paragraph and now it makes more sense.

Tootie. My first TV crush. Or was it Linda Carter as Wonder Woman? Or Barbara Eden as Jeannie...Mmmmmmmm...the good ole days. And don't tell me I'm dating myself. I don't like the inference there. [emoji6]

Anyway, @@dcook, I didn't even notice dynamic images or profile admin had been removed. You can re-enable the latter with a check box to transfer that ability back to an admin account.

overClocked!

Where is the checkbox?

From the dashboard, select users, pick a user, select Open.

post-2317-14684468772141_thumb.jpg

On the Profile tab near the bottom

post-2317-14684469270881_thumb.jpg

"Disable access to user preferences"

Admittedly, this transfers that control to the administrative account and prevents the user from editing their own preferences. While not ideal, it's an option. I have never used this, so I don't know if all the options in the profile are available when this is enabled.

It's described on the wiki page.

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Users

Edited by overClocked!

overClocked!

Ok. I'm gonna start a new thread about this feature cuz now I have questions.

So carry on with the Volvo, Subaru and Tootie banter... [emoji3]

• 2 weeks later...
vaise

My old days were pre Windows 10, and WMC with loads of xbox 360 extenders.  Used to work all great.  I chose to upgrade to Win 10 and lose the extender capability - We still have not got the WMC liveTV and recorded TV stable interface that we had years ago - but that was my choice.  I tried Plex (still have it on my NAS as an Emby backup), but we continue with Emby and now 6 Roku's - we gained loads of stuff, and only loss is some of the stable WMC XBox Extender liveTV/Recorded TV - but I guess now with Netflix, BBC Iplayer and all the other 'streams', we just never really watch much live TV now.

Im more that happy.