Live TV not working

bmoses
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

bmoses

Live TV stopped working over the past couple of days. currently i'm on .88g for android TV on my nexus player and 3.0.5951.0 for the server. When trying to play live tv on the nexus player it shows "Direct/V" and just sits there with the spinning circle forever, no errors or anything. playing live tv in the web browser and other devices works fine, its just the nexus player. I did just now send logs from the app after attempting to play live TV, hopefully they sent OK. 

i don't have the option to direct stream live tv selected as i have an older hdhomerun going through serverwmc and it doesn't work so well when i attempted to direct stream in the past. i'm guessing the fact that its trying to "Direct/V" is the issue because before it would always play as "transcode/I". i also have the audio setting set to compatible.

let me know if you need any other logs or info, thanks!

server wmc is writing the live tv video to a file. it has an http option somewhere, so make sure that's enabled.

bmoses

server wmc is writing the live tv video to a file. it has an http option somewhere, so make sure that's enabled.

i did play around with that while testing. i have it checked normally and with it checked i get the "direct/V" on the nexus player. when i unchecked it, to test, it switched to "Trans/I" but then i got a video failed to playback error. with it checked i get no error when attempting to play.

bmoses

here is just the server log again. i attempted another test with everything set normal/correct and since the nexus player is saying "direct/V" there was no transcode log created, just the server log being updated.

server-63598078953.txt

We can't support both, it's just too much for work us. You need to use the http option.

bmoses

We can't support both, it's just too much for work us. You need to use the http option.

i'm sorry for the confusion, i do use the HTTP option. in an attempt to troubleshoot the issue i tried turning it off, which obviously didn't work. 

so to recap, when trying to play live TV on my nexus player it shows "Direct/V" and doesn't play, just sits there with the spinning circle. i don't have the "direct stream live tv" option checked in the android tv app settings, i have the HTTP option checked, and there is no transcode log being created in this scenario.

bmoses

@@ebr any idea on this? it seems like the android TV app is requesting the stream as direct when it should be requesting it to transcode and thats why things aren't working.

bmoses

I'll have a new beta for you to try in a little bit...

awesome thanks! i'm at work currently so i will test it once i get home tonight.

bmoses

@@ebr i tested on .89g tonight and its still having issues, on one of my nexus players, the other however is working. Here is what i can find different between the 2.

the one that is working is hooked to a sound bar via HDMI and then to the TV via HDMI and works with the audio setting set to "direct"

the one that is not working the nexus player is hooked directly to a TV via HDMI and has the audio setting set to "downmix to stereo" due to no audio on some movies if i set it to "direct". i tried changing the audio setting to "direct" and when i do that and tried live TV it did show "Trans/I" this time but i got a video failed to play message. setting it back to "downmix to stereo" switches it back to saying "direct/V" but doesn't play, gives no error, and sits there with the spinning circle.

as another test i changed the one that is working to "downmix to stereo" and after doing that live TV said "direct/V" and never played, no error, and sat there with the spinning circle. so same as the one thats not working.

i tested with the audio setting both ways and sent the log after each one. let me know if you need anything else. thanks!

• Solution

Okay, try .90.

The logic for deciding exactly which player to use on what device in which situation has gotten incredibly complex...

• Like 1

bmoses

Okay, try .90.

The logic for deciding exactly which player to use on what device in which situation has gotten incredibly complex...

i can only imagine how complex this is! thanks for all your hard work on it!

so i tested .90g and everything looks to be good to go! i tested the nexus player that was working with direct audio on both that settings and the downmix to stereo and it worked on both of those. the nexus player that wasn't working is now working with the downmix to stereo option but doesn't work with direct, however this is to be expected since most other stuff doesn't play with the direct setting. so as far as i can see its all working now!

thanks again!!!!

• Like 1