Has Anyone Got Any Experience with PlayOn?

dcrdev

dcrdev

I'm looking at a couple of new solutions for expanding my library, at the moment PlayOn seems to be the winner. Essentially I want to couple it with a Netflix subscription and then have something like SickRage process the recorded shows into Emby. Theoretically this should work just fine, but I've heard some negative reviews about PlayOn particularly around it's flaky recording.

So I was wondering whether anyone has any recent experience with PlayOn, that could advise me?

Primarily I have these questions:

• Is the scheduled web recording reliable?
  • What's the recording quality like i.e. is it stutter free?
  • Can you record multi channel audio?

Just to make it clear this would only be for my personal use - I just like having all my media in one central place, hence I went with Emby.

Tranquil

I also thought about using Playon as Amazon Prime is not available for the Nvidia Shield Android TV device.

Anyway, I stopped thinking about it cause I thing, this service can not be legal. I dont want to risk loosing my account cause I used none licensed clients.

Furthermore: Most of the services offered must be hacks, so they might break from one day to another. 

mjktg99

The way playon works is it takes your cable account log on and goes to their website and access the online videos section of the cable channels website.  You legally have access to the content so I cant really speak to the legality of it.  With that being said, I tried and had nothing but problems.  It started out working great but then one day I could never get their software to remember my cable company credentials.  So every time it tried to stream or record the video, it would fail.  I worked with their tech support many times and they could never resolve the issue.  So because that failed, I actually added more channels to my cable package so I could just watch on TV instead of through playon and canceled my annual subscription with them.

DarWun
  • Can you record multi channel audio?

I purchased PlayOn several month ago as it seemed to be the only reliable way to add Netflix to Kodi on my Raspberry Pi 2 media player.  Recording and playback worked great, and I had no issue with the video quality.  Unfortunately it did not stream or record multi channel audio, which is a feature I was looking for.  When I asked PlayOn support about it, they said multi-channel audio playback wasn't possible.  But it was something that they were looking at adding in the future.  I requested a refund for the software, which they provided without a hassle.  If they do add support for multi-channel audio at some point, I will purchase it again without hesitation. 

Edited by DarWun

porkbone

Are you using PlayLater to download those programs from PlayOn? If you do, it will add your name and IP address to the beginning and end of every show you download. Kind of an incentive to keep them close.