Change monitor refresh rate broken?

ctabelingoff

ctabelingoff

Hey guys,

I just started testing emby theather.

I enabled "change monitor refresh rate to match video" at the video playback settings. If i play a movie everything works fine. But if i play a TV-series the refresh rate doesn't change. Both files are mkv at 23,976 fps. If i play the movie the TV changes refresh rate to 24 but if i play the TV-series the TV stays at 60. How is this possible? Are there any settings at the server which i did not found?

ctabeling

ctabelingoff

Does anybody have a solution for this?

For testing I put my TV series into my movie library and change of the refresh rate works fine. So does this option only works with the movie library ???

ctabeling

What are the reported framerates in the web client media info?

ctabelingoff

I don't know what I have done but now the change of refresh rate doesn't work for movies too :( I haven't done any changes to the configurations inside emby theatre. So I think the only changes I have made is add/delete movie/TV-series library.

Any suggestions where the problem could be located?

ctabeling

tman

I find refresh rate switching to be very erratic. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It seems to work 'better' for MKV (but not always). MP4 files seem to not switch very often at all. I'm using MadVR with 'Auto' acceleration setting. I thought 2.2.5 had fixed it, although even that has become less reliable lately.

The media files are mainly movies @ 24P. I'm really, REALLY trying to use the internal player, but keep coming up against problems - not just the refresh rate switching, but WASAPI audio output selection doesn't work at all for me, and I still sometimes just get a black screen but with audio. MPC-HC/MadVR on the same system works perfectly every time.

Edited by tman

if you use madvr, this is undocumented unfortunately but you need to configure the embedded madvr in addition to configuring Emby Theater. We'll have to add some in-app instruction relating to that.

tman

if you use madvr, this is undocumented unfortunately but you need to configure the embedded madvr in addition to configuring Emby Theater. We'll have to add some in-app instruction relating to that.

Luke, by this, I assume you mean the 'Devices / <monitor> / Display Modes' in MadVR settings?

• 2 weeks later...
tman

The whole MadVR/refresh rate problem is becoming infuriating and frustrating. Today I spent a few hours trying to fix or at least understand what's going on. My HTPC normally runs at 1080P@50hz. I've set MadVR as the renderer, with change refresh rate set. H/W acceleration is 'auto'. I then configured MadVR with the display mode settings '1080p50, 1080p60, 1080p24'.

On attempting to play a movie (MP4 @ 23.976hz), I just get a black screen but working audio. If I remove 1080P@60 from my MadVR display mode settings, the video plays, but @50hz, so I have judder. If I play the same movie directly in MPC-HC on the same PC using MadVR/LAV, the movie plays fine @24hz!

Now, digging into the ET logs, I see something really strange when trying to playback the video;

2016-05-21 18:24:45.0748 Info InternalDirectShowPlayer: RealFrameRate: 47.95205 videoRate: 47 startRate: 1920x1080p 32-bit @50Hz - Default
2016-05-21 18:24:45.1358 Info InternalDirectShowPlayer: Couldn't change resolution from 1920x1080p 32-bit @50Hz - Default to 1920x1080p 32-bit @47Hz - Default

What the heck is going on here? The video is 23.976Hz, but the 'RealFrameRate' is showing as 47.95025, exactly double what it should be, then it's trying to change the refresh rate to 47Hz! The nearest to this is 50hz I guess, which is what it's using, but this is really strange. I still don't know why I get a black screen @60hz either, as this would be a compromise with 3:2 pulldown in effect. I've attached the whole log file for this anyway.

I've tried various different versions of MadVR (the one in ET is pretty old now). It's driving me mad. I then thought I'd actually switch to using MPC-HC as the external player, so I set it all up, and I can see MPC-HC launch, but then it just closes and returns back to ET. I'm using the standard startup parameters documented on this site. I completely uninstalled and re-installed ET at one point because I nearly lost it! 

ET is the latest 2.3.6. Server just upgraded to 5970.0

theater-63599451621.txt

tman

Ok, I may have stumbled on something important relating to this problem.

I was doing some more testing last night with playing back two 1080P movie rips in ET. Both MP4, both 23.976Hz, High@4.1, AAC 5.1 audio. Different bit rates, but otherwise identical. One will reliably switch to 24Hz using the internal player, the other always displays at 50hz (desktop refresh rate). The primary difference between the two is that the one that WON'T change refresh has a theme video playing in the background before pressing play (I use the full suite of Theme Video/Theme Song plugins). The one that WILL switch doesn't have this. I tried this on numerous other movies - the ones with theme videos wouldn't switch refresh rate, the ones without would.

Therefore it sounds like there's a bug/conflict when using theme videos and MadVR refresh rate switching. It would be useful if anyone else can confirm this, but it certainly seems to be consistent for me.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Getumzz

I have the same issue when I try to use madVR and refresh rate.

At the moment i'm running 1080p23, 1080p24, 1080p25, 1080p30, 1080p50, 1080p60.

But as with you every time it switch from 1080p60 that is my normal refresh rate I get a black screen with audio.

I have given up on madVR for now and run EVR and auto refresh rate in ET.

EVR+ and auto refresh rate is a hole other problem that we don't have to go in to now...it's just broken for me ;)

• 9 months later...
Getumzz

@@Luke

Got to check it out when I get home.

Just replace the files in system or should I delete the old files first?