Guide for Handbrake Settings - Bluray Ripping

ginjaninja

ginjaninja

would anyone deviate from the general advice in this blog for bluray film encoding?

Im finding them to yield significantly better results (seemingly same quality, much reduced fileize) than scene rips

x264

Preset Very Slow

Tune: Film

Profile: High

Level 4.1

Framerate: same as source/variable

Constant Quality: 20 RF

Audio: DTS Path through

Subtitles and Chapters: All

Resolution 1920

Cropping automatic

For the filesize roughly  of 720p im getting 1080p in the same quality

Does scene use smaller than 20 RF and im just not telling difference?

Tranquil

Never tried to find the best settings for handbrake yet, but I'm currently working on converting my library to h265.

Scene does not use h265 yet, the only definition from the scene I found yet:

http://pastebin.com/N1pfjvAK

Deathsquirrel

That's about where I ended up through trial and error.  Just be sure to double check the cropping, handbrake can get a bit over-zealous in cropping the sides of videos.

Chillout

How does x265 work with streaming devices?  Are Rokus compatable and if not can Emby transcode a x265 signal into x264 for streaming?

Deathsquirrel

How does x265 work with streaming devices?  Are Rokus compatable and if not can Emby transcode a x265 signal into x264 for streaming?

Based on posts here, badly and yes it can though the CPU load sounds pretty high.

ginjaninja

I have found more blogs saying x264 is better for bluray 1080p ripping than x265.

Those who support x264 say

• that x265 excels at much lower bits rates than what we are talking about...at this quality it tends to blur too much and loose detail.
  • that x265 is designed for broadcast where bandwidth is the bigger issue than quality.
  • that x264 is more 'mature'

mjktg99

Just in reference to your audio, DTS Pass Thru is assuming that the source audio is also DTS.  I convert all my audio to DD 5.1 even DTS.  My main reason for that is because my TV can deode DD but not DTS (my amp needs to be on for DTS Audio from the Roku)

Deathsquirrel

Just in reference to your audio, DTS Pass Thru is assuming that the source audio is also DTS.  I convert all my audio to DD 5.1 even DTS.  My main reason for that is because my TV can deode DD but not DTS (my amp needs to be on for DTS Audio from the Roku)

I like to keep the best quality original sounds as my default track and encode an equivalent AAC track as a backup for devices that can't handle it.  So if I've got TrueHD 7.1 I'll also have 7.1 AAC as a backup.  Audio transcoding is pretty light work though so I don't often use the latter.

ginjaninja

Just Did an x265 encoding

on tune:none, profile:none rf 20 @ 1080p, very slow

the video bit rate is 2Mbits vs the DTS 1.5Mbits..insane

it took 6 times longer to encode 1hr:41 minutes @ nearly 14 hours.

I cant tell the quality with x264 settings above apart on mpc-hc...and its 2.6GB rather than 3.93GB 

seems like a good option if storage is tighter and encoding horsepower is abundant..although not so great for quality if clients require transcoding id suspect (vs x264 native playback).

• 7 years later...
squarepeg

Can anyone suggest what settings to use for a blu ray so it can just use direct play instead of having to transcode? It seems odd that I use MakeMKV to convert the blu ray to MKV files and then use handbrake to make the file smaller but Emby then transcodes it when playing via my Roku.

I'm confused

34 minutes ago, squarepeg said:

Can anyone suggest what settings to use for a blu ray so it can just use direct play instead of having to transcode? It seems odd that I use MakeMKV to convert the blu ray to MKV files and then use handbrake to make the file smaller but Emby then transcodes it when playing via my Roku.

I'm confused

Hi, the Roku video player doesn't support bluray folders, so this is why you see transcoding. For the best experience possible we recommend converting to mkv.

squarepeg

Thanks Luke, I've worked it out now - I use AAC(FDK) audio and H264 in MKV

• Thanks 1