Scan media library impacting client performance

davidtjudd

davidtjudd

I've been noticing some great performance improvements in the latest betas. Great work.

One thing that still seems to be a big issue, at least for me, is the Scan media library task. If this task is running my clients have serious issues browsing the library. If the task only ran every 12 hours it would probably be fine but my library has new movie and tv content added daily resulting in the task running a lot. During scans I'm not seeing any substantial server spikes. Low CPU/mem/disk usage. Logs aren't showing any errors. I think what I'm seeing has to do with sqlite locks.

Nathanio

I had this when I ran my metadata cache on the OS disk. ThebOS disk was also a spinner at this time.

Since then I have moved to an SSD for OS and a separate SSD for my metadata cache. It is now very responsive and no hang ups since!

Best upgrade I've done.

davidtjudd

Thanks for the suggestion. That actually brings up a good point. For large libraries with multiple clients what is the recommended configuration? Should I isolate the cache path onto a SSD? Should I keep metadata out of the media folders and onto a faster SSD? Anything else I'm missing?

Back to my initial question. During the Scan media library task I'm not seeing disk saturation but it is blocking clients for me. Is this an issue with sqlite that could potentially be resolved by swapping it out for berkeley or something similar? is this my bottleneck or should I look for something else?

Happy2Play

No one can say for sure, if I have 30TB of media that scans under 7 minutes on every scan and loads content during scan, but if content was made unable I have never been accessing at the right exact moment.

Everyone is going to get different mileage do to the hardware they choose to install the server on.  SSD is the best performance option, then is media local or remote.  Local media is easier and faster to access then remote obviously.

pgriffith

I think the devs mentioned a long long time ago they were looking at the possibility of turning off media scan for particular locations. (I may be wrong, don't hurt me)

For example I have 5 library locations containing media, each of those locations contains the following folders.

Adult

Animated

Movies

TV Episodes

Adult, Movies and Animated in 4 of those locations never get any updates or additions, they are completely static. New content in those categories only get added to one location. TV Episodes do get updated in all those locations as new ones are downloaded.

So all up out of 20 locations, I only need 8 monitored for new additions. TV x 5 and Adult, Animated & movies on the new location.

This would make the library scan so much quicker surely ?

Any chance of this happening ?

• Like 1