NAS went inaccessible and Emby cleared my library

gardar

So I just had a new experience where my NAS went offline for a while.

My storage and my Emby server are on seperate servers, the storage from the nas (storage server) is mounted via NFS to the Emby server.

When the NAS was offline Emby did update my library, and since it was not able to find anything in the specified directory (where the NFS mount is) so Emby cleared my library completely :angry:

I certainly hope my NAS won't go offline again, but is there any way to prevent this from happening?

And on the next library scan where the media will be discovered again, can I expect the watch stats to be in place? And how about the metadata changes I've done manually in the past? All gone?

thefirstofthe300

If I remember right, when media goes offline, all the metadata sticks around.  It just needs to be rescanned.

@@Luke is this right?

Latchmor

I put my NAS off all the time. If Emby scans during this it shows NAS content as offline. After running a scan everything is fine after a couple minutes.

When you say cleared do you mean everything has gone or it says offline?

Thankfully the media library seems to be back just the way it was before, with all the watch stats, etc. Phew :)

When I said cleared, I meant that it looked like everything was gone. All sections empty when a user logged in and the metadata manager was empty too.

My library is pretty big so it took around 12 hours for the scan to complete, but at least it's back now!

masterxilef

This also happened to me a few times, I'm still getting used to using emby + emby for Kodi.

I searched before for this topic and could'nt really find a solution to my problem.

How exactly would it show my media as offline if emby can't find it?

Because when it happened to me the media just dissapeared. When I did a manual scan after mounting my NAS again the media appeared and my whatched status remained. However, it took quite a while.

The thing is... is there a way to avoid removing the media when a scan happens like that, I want it because I use Kodi on a raspberry pi 1, so if kodi + emby detects no media it removes it, after scanning everything again it reappers, however this proccess is very slow (scanning media on emby server, and syncing kodi with the server).

Now, this would happen only a few times when for whatever reason I shutdown my server and a scan is scheduled to begin, so I get it's not that big of a problem, however I'm planing on adding an external hard drive to my NAS for archiving media, which I don't need on all the time so I plan to shut it off when not needed. So every time emby scans for media and the external hard drive is off it would remove the media that didn't found mounted on the hard drive. But I do want it to remain scaned so it appears as normal and when I need to play something from that drive I just turn it on and that's it.

Hope I make myself clear, excuese my english.