Help me choose: Windows 7 or 10

mjktg99

mjktg99

New server is built and waiting for an OS.  My current build is running W7 with WMC and ServerWMC as my backend.  I know a transition to W10 would require schedules direct and I'm ok with that.  But is the upgrade to Windows 10 worth it?  I'm not really looking to hack WMC into 10 either.

Can anyone comment on the transition from ServerWMC to emby as the TV Service?  My main concerns are file format and compatibility, time shifting live tv and the guide support and reliability.  Which If you look past the recent WMC transistion to ROVI has been pretty solid with WMC.

Any input is greatly appreciated...

New Server Specs if you are interested: (Built for transcoding and re-encoding power)

Ultra Rogue M925 Case http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Rogue-M925-Tower-Gaming/dp/B00AAH9O6E

Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128838

G.Skill Ripjaw V PC417000 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231884

Intel i7 6700 http://ark.intel.com/products/88196/Intel-Core-i7-6700-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_00-GHz

legallink

While I'm looking at putting a similar build togeterh, I think Windows 7 is your better bet.  WMC/ServerWMC is more reliable for me, even though the Emby Live TV is pretty good.

• Like 1

From my experience Windows 7 is the best choice.

Windows 8 and 10 has been a nightmare for me as destop or HTPC machine.I believe Microsoft is confussing what a PC with cellular phones, and is making me think about switching to a Linux platform when finished support Windows 7 in 2020.

Believe me, if you want to be more comfortable and "happy" with your PC stay with Windows 7 and wait for Windows 11 or 12 to see if Microsoft changes the strategy making an OS similar to Windows 7.

Edited by Teddy
  • Like 1

I personally have had no major gripes with Win10. The biggest thing you'll lose is free live TV guide since WMC is no longer supported. But if you don't mind getting a SchedDirect account as you said, then that's not a big deal.

Emby's LiveTV and HDHomeRun tuner solution works well for the most part. The guide is "pretty" and contains all the features I use. A few times, guide data was missing for some reason and the EPG scheduled task needed to be manually initiated to get the info back. Also, scheduled recordings tend to stop (meaning; if I set Emby to record a TV series, it will record fine for the first X number of shows, but then stop recording future shows for no apparent reason). But I think these issues will go away with time as Emby matures.

Whatever you decide, remember that the free upgrade to Win10 from Win7 will expire at some point. After that, you'll have to pay. And definitely do a fresh install of Win10 if you go that route. Upgrading from Win7 to Win10 works, but there's always something that needs tweaking after the upgrade. For instance, on my HTPC, I had tons of event log entries relating to WMC. Apparently, the upgrade to Win10 didn't remove scheduled tasks relating to WMC even though WMC didn't exist anymore.

The only major issue I've had with Win10: I initially installed Win10 about a month after it came out on all my Win7 boxes and things were fine. When the "threshold 2" update came out in November, about half my PCs started acting weird (intermittent lockups, high CPU usage for no reason, etc). Turns out the BIOS needed to be updated (and the PCs were only about 2ish years old). Once that was done, all those problems went away for all PCs.

mjktg99

Looks like most opinions here are still for Windows 7.  My 2 biggest issues are the (supposed) "better" Windows that is 10 and the ability to get a free license now.  Other than that Windows 7 is still the better avenue I feel.  Im going to stick with that because I know what I am getting in Windows 7 and WMC and hopefully will get a few more years out of it before Microsoft kills it all together.

Thanks everybody.

• Like 1

Where is a good place to pick up a win7 pro license on the cheap these days? I have a box currently running Mint that I'm going to repurpose to windows, and need to get a license.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

mjktg99

Where is a good place to pick up a win7 pro license on the cheap these days? I have a box currently running Mint that I'm going to repurpose to windows, and need to get a license.

I have an available Windows 7 license so I am not looking for one.  And Windows 10 is currently free, so cost was never a deciding factor for me.   I'm not too sure where they can be found inexpensively.

I googled a bit. Licenses can be found down into the low $30s US. No big deal.

To the OP: That's a fine looking server. Drooling over your i7 choice. What drives are you likely to use?

mjktg99

I googled a bit. Licenses can be found down into the low $30s US. No big deal.

To the OP: That's a fine looking server. Drooling over your i7 choice. What drives are you likely to use?

My system drive is a Samsung 850 Evo 250gb. I have a 3tb hdd for my movies and another drive partitioned to 500gb for my dvr use.

I thought about going with an m.2 pcie drive for my OS but I couldn't justify the cost for what I'm doing. And also it's form factor limitations steered me away.