Version 3.5852.0 - Cast & Crew images are gone

spyko

After upgrading from v3.5849.0 beta to v3.5852.0, Cast & Crew are no longer populated.

I ran the "Refresh People" and "Scan Library" tasks but it didn't fix it.

Only when refreshing an item through Web Browser then images are shown for this item.

I reverted back to 3.5849.0, I had to re-run the "Refresh People" and "Scan Library" tasks again and then all ok again.

server-63589693853.zip

• Like 1

ok, you've got some legacy conventions in  your config file, and some of those hidden switches were removed in the new beta. it's probably just a matter of moving your people folder to the new location

• Like 1

well the switch I removed was 14 months old so I would have expected a lot of people to be already migrated, but inevitably some will not. the thing is, once i move the database changes from dev to beta there's going to be a migration process so i figured now might be a good time to drop the old config switches. I can always revert it if I sense a lot of people will be affected, but so far this is the first one. dev + beta represent nearly 15% of our users and right now this is the only case out of that group.

RaxPower

I noticed it set my imagsbyname folder back to the servers appdata path. (Didnt take too long to figure out what had happened and pointed it back at the dedicated folder for it)

The other thing i noted it stuck all the extracted chapter images in the root of this folder eg \\imagesbyname\ea\guid. Could it be possible to create a subfolder (eg \\imagesbyname\chapters) and have these folders another sublevel down?

AdrianW

So for someone that previously used <ItemsByNamePath> with <MergeMetadataAndImagesByName> set to false - what is the recommended way forward?

I tried setting <MetadataPath> to the same location and ended up with chapter images stored inside a "library" folder - I would have preferred for these to stay on the server. But, if that's what needs to happen I can live with it.

Should I move the "library" folder from it's location on the server to my NAS? If I don't will I need to build chapter images for everything again?

Edited by AdrianW
  • Like 1

Happy2Play

I know the feeling.  The new way is forcing them to be merged.

• Like 1

Good day,

Yes, I seen that coming from over a month ago and I switch to metadata folder, I only custom location it. No problem now.

My best

So for someone that previously used <ItemsByNamePath> with <MergeMetadataAndImagesByName> set to false - what is the recommended way forward?

I tried setting <MetadataPath> to the same location and ended up with chapter images stored inside a "library" folder - I would have preferred for these to stay on the server. But, if that's what needs to happen I can live with it.

Should I move the "library" folder from it's location on the server to my NAS? If I don't will I need to build chapter images for everything again?

Thanks AdrianW for Posting. I just didn't have the heart left to ask :). As usual it seems like we are always left on our own to figure out what the "new location" is​

• Like 1

ok, you've got some legacy conventions in  your config file, and some of those hidden switches were removed in the new beta. it's probably just a matter of moving your people folder to the new location

@@Luke, thank you for your reply.

I had to batch-rename all images in my people folder from folder.jpg to poster.jpg though, to make everything work again.

So I took advantage of this opportunity to have a fresh configuration and a library rebuilt too, (btw I kept userdata.db and usesr.db)

Now on ET, after log-off you always have to choose Server.

How could I remove the old server?

thanks

Happy2Play

Why did you change all your images from folder.jpg to poster.jpg?  I having a 52GB People folder and images are mixed between folder.jpg and poster.jpg without issue.

Currently it doesn't look like the is a remove/delete server option in ET.

Thanks AdrianW for Posting. I just didn't have the heart left to ask :). As usual it seems like we are always left on our own to figure out what the "new location" is​

This is only going to apply to the very small number of people who use hidden config switches

Happy2Play

This is only going to apply to the very small number of people who use hidden config switches

I have a feeling the number is going to be a lot higher than you think.  Sure all then new installs since the change but I have a machine still running from MediaBrowser-Server with original system.xml and I know there are quite a few systems like this out there.  So I hope there will be a big note on this in the blog when the time comes.

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 3

Why did you change all your images from folder.jpg to poster.jpg?  I having a 52GB People folder and images are mixed between folder.jpg and poster.jpg without issue.

Currently it doesn't look like the is a remove/delete server option in ET.

I can't say why folder/ poster would name a difference as both are supported.

Maybe my mistake, sorry.

Probably I had not run the refresh people yet or hadn't change the metadata folder location. Night's work what do you expect? lol 

Maybe I can find an alternative way to deprecate them which is just to not have the hidden switches be used at all in newer installations

Happy2Play

Maybe I can find an alternative way to deprecate them which is just to not have the hidden switches be used at all in newer installations

You need to pick a time to get everyone on the same setup.  This is some of the troubleshooting hassle with multiple variables out there depending on when you install Mediabrowser\Emby Server.  Just need to ensure guidelines are spelled out for the upgrade.

• Like 1

AdrianW

So, I'm still not clear on what I should do. Should I just set the metadata path (in the server UI) to point at my original IBN folder on my NAS?

And should I move the existing "library" folder (which contains chapter images) from it's location on the server to my NAS? 

And I suppose I should remove the <ItemsByNamePath> and <MergeMetadataAndImagesByName> elements from the system.xml file.

Happy2Play

Your only option is to move everything in the metadata folder to the new location, unless everything has already been regenerated then you can just delete the original. 

Since <ItemsByNamePath> is obsolete I would just delete it (unless something changes again) or just clear the field and leave the tag in place. 

By default <MergeMetadataAndImagesByName> is set to true, but don't know the consequences with it being false.

As a Note to everyone this current applies to beta and dev releases.  Stable/Official release is currently unaffected.  This is not an issue with new install do to this change happened awhile ago and only affects old installs that still have a <ItemsByNamePath> (ImageByName) location set.

• Like 1

Ian-Highlander

I think the only non-default setting I'm still using is legacy images, please tell me that's not being removed, I use it on purpose as it means episode images get stored in a metadata folder in TV series instead of everything in the root folder messing up the folders (already had to accept that nfo's are created in the root instead of the metadata folder like the old xml files used to be, really don't want everything stored in one folder like that at all).

I started setting up a test server a while ago, think it's time to finish that and get a second closed system running for testing purposes, far too many un-announced changes/surprises being sprung on us recently (and no I'm not saying it's neccessarily a bad change, just that for some of us we're OCD about the way our systems are set up and don't like them being changed without our knowledge).

Taken me a while to re-train my wife on how it's all laid out since the last time this happened, dear god don't make me go through that again  :lol:

• Like 1

Happy2Play

I think the only non-default setting I'm still using is legacy images, please tell me that's not being removed, I use it on purpose as it means episode images get stored in a metadata folder in TV series instead of everything in the root folder messing up the folders (already had to accept that nfo's are created in the root instead of the metadata folder like the old xml files used to be, really don't want everything stored in one folder like that at all).

I started setting up a test server a while ago, think it's time to finish that and get a second closed system running for testing purposes, far too many un-announced changes/surprises being sprung on us recently (and no I'm not saying it's neccessarily a bad change, just that for some of us we're OCD about the way our systems are set up and don't like them being changed without our knowledge).

Taken me a while to re-train my wife on how it's all laid out since the last time this happened, dear god don't make me go through that again  :lol:

Guess you haven't seen this then. :D

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

Ian-Highlander

Thanks, no I hadn't. That seems to suggest legacy mode hasn't gone, but I think I'll run up a test server and check how it affects my system before upgrading in the future. I'm a couple of versions behind on my server as it is at the moment because I wasn't 100% sure about some of the changes, just need to find the time to get this set up and running.  :lol:

AdrianW

So, I've pointed the Metadata Path at my old ImagesByName folder and I now have people images in all the clients again. 

I also copied the "library" (chapter images) folder into the same location - and checking my library everything appears to still have chapter images.

I decided I better run a "Chapter images extraction" task to make sure and it is taking forever (it's reached 0.7% after about half an hour). It is creating new chapter images in ImagesByName/library (on my NAS) but I don't know why, unless it's just re-extracting images and overwriting them.

(After setting the metadata path I did restart the server and ran "Clean database" and "Scan media library" before running "Chapter images extraction").

Back on 12 January I had to do the same thing - a complete re-extraction of my chapter images which took around 12 hours.

-edit-

OK, it seems like I copied the wrong "library" folder - read this post for more info. (I'm now in the process of copying that huge set of folders over to my NAS - I'd rather not but it seems that's what's required now).

Edited by AdrianW