Windows 10 Server Transcode?

whitman27

whitman27

Hi Guys,

My setup is a server that is running EMBY Server and I have Roku Boxes on my tv's in the house.

Currently I am running Windows 7 Ultimate on the server in a FlexRaid Setup.

Now I know that playing stuff through the Roku it has to be transcoded.

If I was to switch my server to Windows 10 Pro and run Server off that will the Roku still transcode movies?  I am trying to figure out if there is an advantage to moving to Win 10.  If there is no transcoding if I move to Win 10 then that is a great advantage for me to allow people to watch content on multiple TV's because the processor won't get bogged down.

Thoughts?

Whit

mjktg99

Transcoding has to do with the device that is playing the media or the media itself (depending on how you look at it) not the server that is supplying it. Live tv is typically the only thing that transcodes on my Roku. I re-encode Movies and recorded tv to a format the Roku can handle and get no transcoding.

So to answer your question, switching to Windows 10 will make no difference in your files transcoding.

whitman27

Ok so is there a device that I can purchase that I can run emby on and not deal with transcoding?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy2Play

That depends on the encoding/format of the media being played.  Every device is going to have its limitations.

Edited by Happy2Play

Happy2Play

But a mkv can contain any codec.  So an example of what is being transcoded on the Roku would be a good start.  Is it transcoding because of video, audio or subtitles?  Maybe biterate or reframes.

Ok so is there a device that I can purchase that I can run emby on and not deal with transcoding?

To my knowledge, the only way to pretty much ensure you can run everything without transcoding is to buy/build an HTPC and run Kodi.

ramrod215

Flexraid just updated to add windows 10 support so you should be good there. I also use a ROKU 3 to play all my content. MCE buddy converts my .WTV files and my tivo files to MKV. They both direct stream to the ROKU but i have it hardlined and utilitzing the WIFI. Depending on your WIFI speed (or in your hardlined) bump the bit rate up. I set mine to 20 or higher and never really transcode much (sometimes audio). Windows 10 does not really impact this stuff thou. I switched to WIN 10 only because i was using WHS and it limited how much memory could be used. My HTPC with tuners never will go past Win7. So if you plan on adding tuners do not go to windows 10!

blumamba

I read a rumor that MS had changed its mind and was going to add an updated Media Center, but have not been able to confirm that.  Has any one here?

• 3 weeks later...
charlesk

Do I need t install WMC on Win 10 if I plan on using Win10 as the server?

i don't have any tuner cards or anything....Just hosting AVI/MP4s?

I don't want to make the move to Win10 for the server if it won't work....

The server does not require WMC.

I read a rumor that MS had changed its mind and was going to add an updated Media Center, but have not been able to confirm that.  Has any one here?

I would be absolutely dumbfounded if this happened.  Their usage data four years ago, before WMC was an additional add-on you had to install, showed something like less than 1% of Windows users even opening WMC much less using it.  The team that develops and supports it was disbanded years ago.

Their living room future is on the Xbox One.

Vidman

I think the roku has the least supported codecs of all the emby clients.... Pretty much any device that can run kodi of the android clients will will direct play most video containers/codecs now

Deihmos

Hi Guys,

My setup is a server that is running EMBY Server and I have Roku Boxes on my tv's in the house.

If I was to switch my server to Windows 10 Pro and run Server off that will the Roku still transcode movies?  I am trying to figure out if there is an advantage to moving to Win 10.  If there is no transcoding if I move to Win 10 then that is a great advantage for me to allow people to watch content on multiple TV's because the processor won't get bogged down.

Thoughts?

Whit

The roku should not transcode if your media is in h264 with mkv or mp4 extension. It can bitstream dts, and ac3. It will need to transcode .avi files but I don't know why anyone will still have these. Maybe you have the bitrate set too low. 

Edited by Deihmos

While on the subject of roku, I added special handling of transport streams to the blue neon night app for the roku. AVI can be direct streamed both video and audio, it is the container the problem. The app will remux these into .m3u8 and now it barely impacts the cpu versus full transcode of mpeg4 to h264 and mp3/ac3 into aac. The roku has more potential than the documentation says, and the official app allows. The blue neon night app tries to exploit every opportunity to minimize cpu usage during transcoding. If you need help with the preferences as to what they do in that app, just ask.

Edited by speechles

Deihmos

I take it back.If your system does not support dts and ac3 emby transcodes the whole video and not just the audio which I remember it doing before. This is cpu intensive.I don't know why it now converts the whole video. It doesn't make any sense. 

Edited by Deihmos

@@Deihmos, copy introduces the keyframe problem. When the transport stream slices are created the keyframes must align. They almost never do. The net result is you get repeated frames at the end of the video, like it rewound a little and replayed some of the ending. This problem has been handled by not allowing these to copy. But this doesnt mean, you cant reencode it into the exact same codec it is, and attempt to fix it on the fly. Thats what the emby blue neon does. It isnt copying, it is transcode to exact same codec it already is. This is far less exepnsive than full transcode. Your CPU will thank you.

Edited by speechles

Koleckai Silvestri

Hi Guys,

Thoughts?

Whit

My server is currently running Windows 10 and the Roku devices still need to transcode. The OS of the server doesn't change the format of your media. However my current server is about 18% more efficient at transcoding under Windows 10 than it was under Windows 7. No official testing mind you, just what I have seen.

Currently building a new i5-6600 Skylake based Media Server and it will run Windows 10 so I'll have to see how things work on it. Will post back. If Emby Theater gets released soon, will use it as an HTPC as well.

Deihmos

@speechless I thought blue neon was a theme for roku client. I will give it a shot. I really don't fully understand what you said but is this the reason the server transcodes everything in the browser? 

@@Deihmos yeah its only on roku, not just a theme it adds extra features. Like an rarflix does for plex. Same sorta thing. But what I mean, the blue neon app is the only one using this method I believe. Where you encode from mpeg4 to mpeg4 rather than h264. Now the mpeg4 will have keyframes at the start because its creating them. This is diffrent than straight copy where the keyframes arent predictable. Think of it like copy, except this is verifying the copy fixing minor issues. Other clients will adopt this behavior I am sure. It eases CPU strain by a significant factor.

Edited by speechles

Deihmos

I just tried it and and the cpu went to 100% when playing back a video stream with dts. I can direct play if I change the roku sound to dd & dts but if I change it to stereo the cpu is taxed hard. I have since decommissioned the roku but I know it did not always work like this.