Anyone have trouble with mp3's being messed up?

scoson
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

I posted about this in the Windows forum but thought I'd ask here as it MAY be the Emby Roku channel that's at fault, I don't know? May be some weirdness on my part? My music/mp3's are tagged perfectly. I've been using Mp3tag for years for this. If I use folder view everything looks fairly normal but I'm missing some of my music. If I use enhanced view I don't even list ANY artists except one of my Steve Vai albums (Fire Garden) shows up as "Indomp3z". Yeah I don't get that and double checking the tag every field is normal. The weird part is that my Emby library on the web is normal, if I use the (Roku media channel) using either Windows or Emby server everything is normal. Anybody else either have have this problem or know something to look at or try? I have a feeling I'm the only one this though.

In enhanced view in Emby channel I believe all ALBUMS and albums in GENRES are available and correct as well as artwork, but zilch for artists.

Bazinga Sheldon!.... ok that was uncalled for Luke, much respect:)

I've read a number of threads in the forums and you're way helpful, and new guy thinks he's funny lol

Edited by scoson

I just tried removing Music and re-adding it as a different type library, first I tried Music Video then Movies hoping that folder view might work at least showing and playing all, but it was a fail.

if you could provide more info about what you're seeing in the roku app i'm sure it can be resolved. thanks.

I see this too on some albums. But it is endemic usually of missing metadata or not following the guide/wiki ( https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/wiki/Music-Library ).

The guide/wiki wants ..music/artist/albums/song.mp3

Some of mine use
..music/various/top100-feb2015/debuts/song.mp3
..music/various/top100-feb2015/song.mp3

The expected behavior is artist is "various" and album is "top100-feb2015". The guide/wiki suggests this is what should happen. The nested folder "debuts" is navigateable but known as a child of the parent, it is treated like a "music collection" when browsed to.

How it works is the nested album is added as "debuts" with the artist as the first entry in the album with metadata. The root album is also added as an album "top100-feb2015" but the artist is assigned different because its the frist entry in the album with metadata again. This makes linking the two albums singularly as a unit more difficult.

Why isn't there a way to group music into "collections" like movies can do with boxsets? The folder layout would easily identify whether to create a singular album, or a music collection. Hopefully I am explain this clearly enough.

To get around this, you have to use the metadata editor and change the albums to their correct names, and fix the artist it assigned too. The music management in emby server needs work to support folder layout versus metadata detection.

Edited by speechles

Thanks for replying guys. Speechles, coincidentally I do have a folder called various that I put music in if I only have 1 track by the particular artist, they all show up as a list in folder view, except the folder calls itself Superunknown (from the Soundgarden track that's in there). Tags are all correct for these too. I do have a few other folders that are artists put together. I can understand if some of this throws Emby for a loop in whatever way, but the stuff that's not showing up in folder view seems arbitrary, some of it that I've seen is in proper folder format anyway. I still don't understand why in enhanced view album, genre, and art is showing up proper but no artists (again, ALL artists show on the web). But, in any case you're probably right that I just have enough weirdness in my collection to wreck stuff just enough, I don't know. I've taken years of collecting and thought to organize the way I have though and I'm kind of set in my way about that. I'm old :lol: My collection is only somewhere aroung 3500 songs but a LOT of different albums, not complete ones. I can live with this if that's the way it is for now, I'm not complaining, Emby works GREAT in every other way.

Edited by scoson

• Solution

the artists list in roku is showing album artists so it would be equivalent to that tab in the web interface

• Like 1

Ah ha!! So that's the deal? Well my music is backed up several different ways and places so I'm a gonna load em all up in Mp3tag and see if it will give me a batch conversion for that. It might not, but where there's a will there's a way! Thanks Luke :)