Meet Roku 4

dnicks

Koleckai Silvestri

Looks nice. Might be worthwhile next year. Depends on what happens with the Apple TV later his year.

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri

im85288

Yup as long as they improve their GUI API to take advantage of the performance improvements then it could be good...if it does not then apps will continue to look as bad as they do now unfortunately. I'm an apple guy (so hoping for some cool things with the new apple tv...but why did they leave out 4k) but if I were to choose one of then main streamers at the moment it would be the new 4k amazon fire as it has a much better platform for user interface design.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I got the unit and just put it on the network.   It is slightly faster.   Much bigger than the old Roku 3.  

I played with voice search a bit.  Unfortunately it seems to search all channels, and does not seem to search the content of Emby.  So I searched for example for "The Man in the High Castle", the voice recognition actually got that complex sentence and searched for it.  But it only found it on Amazon even though I had episode 1 on my Emby.

I am hoping that this might be able to be tweaked or adjusted to search the Emby content.   Otherwise, to me this really isn't a useful feature.

@@kuebs

Roku has a "special" partnership with developers that use their "voice search" abilities. I read this as, they want you to pay them to feature your application within the search results. This is out of our control.

But in the meantime, since you are on a roku4 can you try this app?

Roku link: https://my.roku.com/account/add?channel=EmbyBlueNeon

Info here: http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/24151-theme-blue-neon-night/&do=findComment&comment=260140

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

@@kuebs

Roku has a "special" partnership with developers that use their "voice search" abilities. I read this as, they want you to pay them to feature your application within the search results. This is out of our control.

But in the meantime, since you are on a roku4 can you try this app?

Roku link: https://my.roku.com/account/add?channel=EmbyBlueNeon

Info here: http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/24151-theme-blue-neon-night/&do=findComment&comment=260140

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Sounds just like the Fire TV.  It doesn't make its voice search capabilities available to just any app either.

However, I think maybe Alexa is changing that on the Fire platform so maybe Roku will enable it as well at some point.  Of course, with our system the fact that there are multiple users makes these types of system-wide searches a bit problematic.  We'd have to decide under what user context to search and take parental control into account.

The BlueNeon channel works great and looks good.

One item my family noticed is that the folder listings is now at the bottom of the listings, whereas before it was up at the top when you first entered the channel.  

Again, BlueNeon looks reallly awesome.   I like.  

Another noticable change is that now the app tracks how many times you have watched a file.   Which is a nice touch.

One issue with this channel is that if you navigate to quickly, the channel reset and sends you out to the home menu.  If you navigate slower, and don't press buttons faster than the screen refresh it seems to be ok.   Maybe this is some type of cache issue.

As for voicesearch being such a dud, or rather merely a revenue stream enhancer versus a useful feature in Emby, we are considering sending it back to Amazon, as the Roku 3 worked just fine. 

Is there any other features worth checking out?

Edited by kuebs

farside847

Is there any other features worth checking out?

If you have a 4k tv, have you tried any 4k videos?

HAve you noticed an improvement to 720 or 1080 video from the upscale feature?

Thanks!