Live TV stopped working

arrbee99

arrbee99

I have an Hauppauge PCI-E DVB-S card in the PC on which Emby server is running, and while Live TV used to work in IE11 it hasn't for a while, not since Emby TV was added (I think).

When the problem started the server didn't seem to know the card was there at all, but now that I've installed Windows 10 (coincidence ?)  it shows the TV card is there (see attached images), but still won't play Live TV, though the TV guide works, which I think it gets over the air, and it will go to the playing window with the video controls, but just gives a blank screen.

I can get Live TV using the supplied Hauppauge app and using the NPVR app.

Have attached server logs also (hopefully the correct ones).

If anyone has any ideas ? something to do with that IPTV thing maybe ?

arrbee99

I am attaching the Emby server log, if it helps, as the transcoding log , while created, is completely empty. I tried turning on the 'NextPVR debugging logging' option, but am not sure where it is saved, if you could possibly help with that ? Thanks very much.

arrbee99

Just thought I'd add another server log in case its useful for something. Again the Emby server transcode log was created but was completely empty.

• 3 weeks later...
arrbee99

Wondering if there were any more ideas for this. Now when I press play on a channel it just ignores the request, doesn't try to play, but tuners still work when using other programs (e.g. NPVR, Hauppauge player) after trying to use Emby, which they didn't before. Thanks

maybe it's just taking a long time. in my testing IE takes longer to start live tv than chrome even though they both use the same method of transcoding. my testing is with the core built in live tv, with no problem found.

arrbee99

Well just tried to watch TV in IE11 on the main PC, made some tea, drank it and still nothing. As mentioned can watch on PC fine using Hauppauge app (for the Hauppauge card) and using NPVR directly - just done both before trying. After trying in IE NPVR still works but the Hauppauge app and Edge say no TV tuner available.

Also tried watching TV on FireTV yesterday (signal coming from tuner card in PC to Fire TV via Ethernet), and not working, though it used to quite a while back.

Also can get TV Schedules fine (OTA I presume as its via freeview satellite)

danielpugh

I have win10 (clean install). To get things working i installed npvr, lav codec and got working separately. Then enabled client connections in npvr and got kodi working with emby plugin.

Last of all i installed npvr plugin in emby server (the newer tv version). Disabled firewall.

After a reboot (and some fidling to get ota guide, and scheduled task in emby server), all worked fine.

Its very slow in emby for tv (30 seconds for tv on channel) but works. Faster in kodi which i used as reference.

Not sure if that helps, but thought id mention, in particular the firewall and ports as npvr is delivering through its web service/port.

arrbee99

Just thought I'd try with Chrome, so downloaded it and tried watching TV and it worked fine (bit slow to start and SD picture is narrow, like 4:3 I think, but still, it works). Closed Chrome, opened IE11 in 'in private' and normal, and it still won't work - press play and nothing, doesn't even go to the playing screen with the pause / play icons. Close IE, go back to Chrome, works again.

If I look in Emby recent activities it says opened Chrome, started playing TV1, stopped playing TV1, closed Chome, opened IE11, and nothing about playing TV anything.

Don't know if firewalls and ports would affect this ? any way to check which ports or firewall setting to use for IE that don't affect Chrome, if its this at all ? Any obvious IE setting ?

be it's just taking a long time. in my testing IE takes longer to start live tv than chrome even though they both use the same method of transcoding. 

arrbee99

Nope, sorry, IE11 12.17 to 12.23pm, 6 minutes, nothing. NPVR app 6 seconds, Hauppauge app 6 seconds, Chrome 24 seconds.

IE11, press the big green button, nothing.....

arrbee99

Have another log from slightly earlier in the day, but its 16meg, so too big, unless you particularly want it.....

since you're on windows 10 i would really suggest edge. of course IE is supported and we'll do our best but we're really to teach an old dog new tricks here. the techniques that we're using to bring this kind of streaming to IE without the use of any browser plugins is really pushing it to the limit, whereas edge and chrome are built to accommodate all of these new things.

arrbee99

Well I know IE11 used to work with NPVR as I used it, and others I guess still are using it. Obviously it would be nice if I could use it again.

Having said that, good point about Edge. Unfortunately that doesn't work for me either. Just shut down my PC and powered up again. Fired up Edge, asked it to play some TV and got the attached image. Closed Edge and found that the Hauppauge app won't play (no tuner available) while NPVR app works fine. Chrome also still plays. Tried Edge again, same error.

arrbee99

As I guess others have noticed, quite a bit of this is similar to this http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/24974-windows-10/ thread, so presumably its linked up somehow.......not sure why I mentioned that but anyway.

Saw a dev update to 3.0.5761.35384 which said something about live TV, so I thought I'd check to see if anything changed, but not as far as I can see. Chrome still works, IE11 / Edge don't, NPVR does, Hauppauge seems to depend if tuners are available / released by Emby / NPVR.

Don't know if anyone wants more logs, but might as well add a few....

The Transcode that ends in f301f3adab26.txt was still being added to 10 or 15 minutes after I finished trying to watch some TV, but maybe it has nothing to do with TV anything anyway, its all beyond me....

right now i think the microsoft decoders in the browsers don't like something about the stream. what that is i don't know right now. that is one of the downsides of microsoft's html video implementation vs chrome. Chrome embeds ffmpeg and everything is self contained whereas microsoft ties in with media foundation which means that various system settings and other installed software can cause problems with it. and that makes every one of these reports almost a case by case situation.

arrbee99

Sounds quite difficult to do anything about it if its a case by case thing. However, can't resist the temptation to add another log or two after the latest update said something about IE fixes (though I see lots of menu items take up much less space in IE now). Anyhoo I see when I tell it to play a channel, doesn't play it, it records it in 6m41s chunks for a while. Seems weird to me but I wouldn't know my transcoder from my elbow...

post-4223-0-72851200-1444798204_thumb.jpg

post-4223-0-81035800-1444798313_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
arrbee99

Thought I would attach some logs seeing as NPVR got updated.....They are for (hopefully) IE11 and Edge not working and Chrome, which does.

transcode-0e87da58-0599-45fa-be2e-43d971f4f8ab.txt

transcode-dbf998d6-de90-46c1-8aa3-20e9ce1ad0a0.txt

transcode-aeb4a6de-29c8-4497-92ed-c00d8bb3f3de.txt

transcode-68252992-23f0-45d1-a450-982cc8359894.txt

The update for nextpvr was only for the Series Recording. 

And for the moment I also use chrome, for everything in Emby.