Which CPU??

darkknight

darkknight

Hi: Not sure where to post this?? I'm planning on building a client only system(Have an i5 4570 as my server-main CPU) the new one would be a player for streaming movies,tv,etc(running Kodi 15.1 or Emby) in my living room so want a quiet one. I've being told that a AMD A-8 would be great for my set-up...would use a Corsair cx-430 as my power supply,8 gb of g-skill ram (1600), need a blu-ray player/burner,motherboard not sure like Asus but for this application want to be frugal..but not cheap!!! Case wise like to keep it at round $100 or less( I like some of the Silverstone HTPC GD-09 case but open to simlar stlyes from other manufacters)...would use a Samsung evo 120gb SSD. So total budget would like it to come in at $550.00-$625.00 CDN dollars before tax!! The other option would to get a Intel NUC i5 & be done with it...however I'm thinking the ability to upgrade any parts makes the AMD A8 option better in the long run???Thanks for any help in advance!!!

JeremyFr79

I have an A8 7650K in my main client machine, absolutely love it.  For the money it does the job quite well, uses very little power which is nice.  Be warned that the A8 doe NOT support hardware decoding of 4K content.  Not a big deal to me as I'm feeding a 1080p projector that will not be getting upgraded any time soon.  But if that's something you're looking for then an Intel with Integrated graphics would be a better option.

darkknight

I have an A8 7650K in my main client machine, absolutely love it.  For the money it does the job quite well, uses very little power which is nice.  Be warned that the A8 doe NOT support hardware decoding of 4K content.  Not a big deal to me as I'm feeding a 1080p projector that will not be getting upgraded any time soon.  But if that's something you're looking for then an Intel with Integrated graphics would be a better option.

Thanks Jeremy could care less about 4k...using a Panasoinc 55ST60 so not looking for a TV for at least 7+ yrs!!! Thanks again!!

Nathanio

Latest generation Core processors play 1080p content back really well. I use a Core i3-4130 in my HTPC and it bitstreams to my amp, plays everything I throw at it. I use the onboard GPU quite happily.

• Like 1

Rasputin

I have absolutely fallen in love with the i5 Intel NUCs. So much so, I keep looking for reasons to get new ones. :P They fit in the palm of your hand, are almost completely silent, can be hidden very easily or mounted on the back of the TV, have full-size power and can use the ungodly-fast M.2 SSDs.

Just be careful not to go overboard if you're on a budget, you don't need much to have a very good future-proofed HTPC and onboard GPUs like the Intel HD 5000-6000 are superb for the role.

Edited by Rasputin
  • Like 1

Deihmos

An i5 nuc is expensive and overboard for a video player . An Intel very celeron nuc which is very cheap does the job well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...
Starlionblue

I have absolutely fallen in love with the i5 Intel NUCs. So much so, I keep looking for reasons to get new ones. :P They fit in the palm of your hand, are almost completely silent, can be hidden very easily or mounted on the back of the TV, have full-size power and can use the ungodly-fast M.2 SSDs.

Just be careful not to go overboard if you're on a budget, you don't need much to have a very good future-proofed HTPC and onboard GPUs like the Intel HD 5000-6000 are superb for the role.

A bit late for the party but I'll chime in here. My Intel NUC HTPC is amazing. Quiet, tiny, reliable. It has an IR receiver built in and just works. As Deihmos says, you don't need to go i5 at all. The lightweight models are more than good enough.

Best of all, my wife thinks it is cute, a moniker she didn't bestow on the massive Silverstone Case machine that it replaced.  :D  :wub: