Watched item status

plazma

plazma

I must admit its taken me a week or so to get around to reporting this so forgive me if someone's already reported it.

In emby for wmc, watch flags are all showing properly for media watched with other interfaces (eg in the browser etc) however if I enter something through normal folder view and play it (im using an external player over smb) its no longer setting the watched flag.

But here is the interesting thing if I play from the main emby for wmc (last added list) screen It works and the watched flag is set properly.

im using beta (latest) emby server and also latest emby for wmc and just the emby wmc classic interface (no theme).

So I think at some point how the watched status works (notifies the server) and emby wmc was updated/changed, but not in all places fully in emby 4 wmc or at least it would be my guess based on it working in one part of the interface and not another. Like I said its just a guess.

plazma

Ok tried from another machine and strangely its machine related.. but they are both apparently running the same version, I will clone over the config files from the working machine and see what happens later today.

plazma

Ok the machine I had noticed it wasn't setting the watched flag on, I removed all trace of emby for wmc and reinstalled, I thought It was fixed, but then I hit a file it wasn't setting the flag on.

Im not sure if this is the reason, but the one it wasn't setting the watched flag for (no matter how many times I played) I noticed the folder name (im not using emby for meta and the folder is just a crude inbox as it were) did not match the filename, I renamed the folder so it matched the filename and the flag then took (after it picked up the new folder name).

I will have to see if it happens again as most folders its setting the flag correctly now im going to have to wait and see when and if it has an issue in the future, but as I said all I did was rename the folder.

And yes I checked and chocolate was just the same, but its my understanding as its a theme it wouldn't/shouldn't make a difference and it didn't before the rename chocolate acted just the same.

Edited by plazma

plazma

Ok had it again tonight and I can confirm in emby wmc the watched item status (when set to auto enter single item) doesn't work when the folder name doesn't match (contain the same) as the file name.

Tonight folder has spaces, file has dots, renamed folder to match file and watched flag instantly appeared.

So its definitely a bug and I know how to replicate it.

Ok had it again tonight and I can confirm in emby wmc the watched item status (when set to auto enter single item) doesn't work when the folder name doesn't match (contain the same) as the file name.

Tonight folder has spaces, file has dots, renamed folder to match file and watched flag instantly appeared.

So its definitely a bug and I know how to replicate it.

I doubt it is actually what you think it is.

When you change the folder name what you are effectively doing is deleting one item and adding a completely new one - that happens to already have saved user data due to it having a globally recognized ID (from tmdb or imdb).

So, when you do that, you are causing the system to read in the new item and refresh the display.  You could probably change the folder name to "Joe" and the same thing would happen (assuming the folder contains metadata that properly identifies the item).

plazma

Nope, the files, folder has no meta, other than local file info ive turned off all meta download in emby as I use something else for that.

Nope, the files, folder has no meta, other than local file info ive turned off all meta download in emby as I use something else for that.

That just means renaming the folder to "Joe" wouldn't work.

My analysis of what is happening when you rename the folder is still correct.  It is the act of deleting and adding the item that is causing the watched status display to refresh.

plazma

Actually on the previous times its happened the watched flag doesn't appear after the rename, but after the rename if I watch again it then sets.

However todays problem file, the watched flag did appear in emby wmc after the rename, but in emby web and all other clients it wasn't showing as watched. So for this instance is just manually set the watched flag in emby web.

The fact that it isn't consistent seems very odd.  I wouldn't be surprised if there were some situations where the screen didn't update with a check or reduction in watched count but the actual status should always be getting set properly.  However, I would expect it to be consistent.

If you can reproduce it, post an EMC log and tell me exactly what was watched and what happened (screen shots would be wonderful) and I'll see if I can spot anything.  Thanks.