WMC Alternative

CharlesH

CharlesH

Hi, this is my first post here.

I may have the wrong idea about this application.

I need a replacement for Windows Media Center...Windows 10 won't have it.

I need, more than anything, to be able to watch live TV on my desktop.

When configuring the server, I don't see anything that leads me to believe that I can connect my tuners to my Charter tv account and go from there.

Could someone set me straight?

TIA, 

CharlesH

JeremyFr79

Hi, this is my first post here.

I may have the wrong idea about this application.

I need a replacement for Windows Media Center...Windows 10 won't have it.

I need, more than anything, to be able to watch live TV on my desktop.

When configuring the server, I don't see anything that leads me to believe that I can connect my tuners to my Charter tv account and go from there.

Could someone set me straight?

TIA, 

CharlesH

You can do it using the embytv plugin, but be aware it will only allow you to watch "free to copy" channels, copy protected will not be viewable.  Further if I understand correctly Charter is one of those asshole companies that copy protects all channels.  You're best bet is to keep a machine on windows 7 or windows 8 to use your tuners on at which point using the ServerWMC plugin to view MOST channels.

Deihmos

Just stick with Win 8.1. My HTPCs don't do anything but view media so the OS it runs doesn't even matter. 

godbodian

Just buy iView or Intel Compute Stick for about $149 and you're set... that is, as long as you have a TV with an available HDMI port.

• 3 months later...
dowen01

Good news everyone :)

1. Download the WindowsMediaCenter_10.0.10134.0v2.1.rar file here.
  2. Use WINRAR in extract the folder to your main system drive and open it.
  3. Then right-click on the file bin\Installer.cmd and select Run as administrator. Press any key to exit the installer when it’s finished.

Make a quick Windows search for Media Center and it will be your top match, but you can also find it under Window Accessories in the Start menu. You should be able to run WMC normally from there.

Tested with the Emby add-on :)

WTF

This actually really works on windows 10 !!

WOW, this is a GREA post dowen01 where did you get this from ?

I got a bit further testing. I was looking for a MediaCenter replacement, but there is none that can replace it. All other programs have their own minor points:

1) Emby/MediaBrowser for windows 10 is only possible with Emby Theatre

Unfortunately Emby Theatre is absolutely not that far developed as the android app and Live-TV does not seems to work at all and there is now EPG. Off course you could use the web add-on, but that is very user unfriendly in my opinion.

2) Kodi is nice but also not very user friendly because within Kodi you have to click all day long (very disappointing) to go to the location where you want to go and if you want to go back it’s even wurse…..

3) MediaPortal is beter, but the interface does not seems to interact whit a MCE remote and setting up TV is not easy for most users.

So at the end Windows MediaCenter at this time is still the best option out of all and even so and still is in windows 10

What I’m not been able at, at this time, is the ability to use the MediaCenterStudio or MCE Reset Tool in windows 10 whit this *NEW* MediaCenter for windows 10.

Booth give errors and I’m not able to pass the errors.

Well, the begin is there and I’m sure a LOT off people shall be very, very happy whit this MediaCenter for Windows 10 solution.

Still looking for a solution to set this MediaCenter to the Dutch language, but olso that seems not te be possible. But it's not that needed. As long its working where satisfied.............

Edited by MCW

• 4 weeks later...
charlesk

Do I need t install WMC on Win 10 if I plan on using Win10 as the server?

i don't have any tuner cards or anything....Just hosting AVI/MP4s?

I don't want to make the move to Win10 for the server if it won't work....

Deihmos

Do I need t install WMC on Win 10 if I plan on using Win10 as the server?

i don't have any tuner cards or anything....Just hosting AVI/MP4s?

I don't want to make the move to Win10 for the server if it won't work....

You don't need wmc.

Vidman

WTF

This actually really works on windows 10 !!

WOW, this is a GREA post dowen01 where did you get this from ?

I got a bit further testing. I was looking for a MediaCenter replacement, but there is none that can replace it. All other programs have their own minor points:

1) Emby/MediaBrowser for windows 10 is only possible with Emby Theatre

Unfortunately Emby Theatre is absolutely not that far developed as the android app and Live-TV does not seems to work at all and there is now EPG. Off course you could use the web add-on, but that is very user unfriendly in my opinion.

2) Kodi is nice but also not very user friendly because within Kodi you have to click all day long (very disappointing) to go to the location where you want to go and if you want to go back it’s even wurse…..

3) MediaPortal is beter, but the interface does not seems to interact whit a MCE remote and setting up TV is not easy for most users.

So at the end Windows MediaCenter at this time is still the best option out of all and even so and still is in windows 10

What I’m not been able at, at this time, is the ability to use the MediaCenterStudio or MCE Reset Tool in windows 10 whit this *NEW* MediaCenter for windows 10.

Booth give errors and I’m not able to pass the errors.

Well, the begin is there and I’m sure a LOT off people shall be very, very happy whit this MediaCenter for Windows 10 solution.

Still looking for a solution to set this MediaCenter to the Dutch language, but olso that seems not te be possible. But it's not that needed. As long its working where satisfied.............

Did you try the win10 store app for emby?

Did you try the win10 store app for emby?

No I did not try this, yet, but that's a good advice I will try that one out.

So far the MediaCenter from forums.mydigitallife.info is now fully working in different languages and also MCE Reset Tololbox can be used.

So for the “die hards” for MediaCenter this will work 100% and off course in combination with Emby Classic for MediaCenter over the Emby Server :D

Edited by MCW