Audio Issue on Fire TV

hanzhuang

hanzhuang

I was using the Emby App on Fire TV stick for the past 2 weeks and it was working great.  I used it yesterday evening and when I tried again later that night I started having problems with the sound.  The voice track on videos encoded via AC3 with 5.1 sound would not play on the fire TV stick.  I currently do not have my TV hooked up to a digital audio system, just TV speakers with additional analog speakers. Videos that are being played via ACC, AC3, Stereo, 5.0 sound work fine. 

Shows/Movies that I previously had previously watched are working fine, are now doing the same thing.  I am not sure if these were being trans coded to a different format at that time, but nothing changed as far as my setup goes between the time it was working to when it was not.  I have tried setting the fire TV stick off dolby digital audio to force stereo sound via the HDMI. Also resetting the server and playing around with the bit rate.  Can't seem to get it up and working.

Any ideas and/or suggestions wound be appreciated. 

Can you please post a transcode log from the server from playing something that exhibits this problem.

Can I add you to the beta group so you can test out a fix?  I need the email address for the Amazon account on the device.

Okay, you've been added.  Please test with 1.0.53 and see if it is correct now.

hanzhuang

How would I go about getting the 1.0.53 version? I remember to only have access to the 1.0.51b version on my fire TV.

You should have gotten an email with instructions.  You have to install a separate "Test" version of the app.

You didn't get the email because you've opted out of marketing communications with Amazon.  You need to enable that - particularly for invites and the store before this will work.

Schimi

A friend of my, today reported me about the same problem....

but have no access to the stick and can't use a beta software....

But i mean (i'm not sure) the problem wouldn't be in the 1.50a

Okay, I'm just going to push this version to the public and hope it solves this issue.  It will probably take several hours for it to become available as Amazon can be quite slow approving these.

CBers

Okay, I'm just going to push this version to the public and hope it solves this issue. It will probably take several hours for it to become available as Amazon can be quite slow approving these.

I've received it on my FTV.

I've received it on my FTV.

Yeah, but you got the beta version.  The real one is still under review.

• Like 1

hanzhuang

I've changed my settings with Amazon if u wanted to retry setting me up with the beta. If not I'll wait for the official release and let u all know.

The official release became available about 8 hours ago so please test it.  Thanks.

• Like 1

Would this fix include files with DTS audio as well?  I noticed this over the weekend, but haven't used it since then.  They used to work, but had the same no audio problem reported above.

• 2 months later...
neocube

...The voice track on videos encoded via AC3 with 5.1 sound would not play on the fire TV stick.  I currently do not have my TV hooked up to a digital audio system, just TV speakers with additional analog speakers. Videos that are being played via ACC, AC3, Stereo, 5.0 sound work fine.

So I'm on the Emby app trial for the Fire TV Stick.  This is actually the last day of my trial and I want to purchase it, but I'm having this exact same issue.  On most of my VOB files, the voice tracks are not coming through which all seem to also have Dolby 5.1 audio.  Background sound comes thru fine, just no voice audio.  Other file formats and audio are working properly on the Fire TV Stick.  I've never had any issue with any of these files on my Android Emby app on my phone which works for all file formats.  The Fire TV Stick app appears to be on version 1.0.80a and it sounds like this issue was resolved on a previous release?  Am I missing something?

So I'm on the Emby app trial for the Fire TV Stick.  This is actually the last day of my trial and I want to purchase it, but I'm having this exact same issue.  On most of my VOB files, the voice tracks are not coming through which all seem to also have Dolby 5.1 audio.  Background sound comes thru fine, just no voice audio.  Other file formats and audio are working properly on the Fire TV Stick.  I've never had any issue with any of these files on my Android Emby app on my phone which works for all file formats.  The Fire TV Stick app appears to be on version 1.0.80a and it sounds like this issue was resolved on a previous release?  Am I missing something?

Select "Compatible" for the audio output under playback settings.

Or, adjust the settings on the device actually receiving the audio to properly downmix the 6 channels to something the device can handle.

neocube

Select "Compatible" for the audio output under playback settings.

Or, adjust the settings on the device actually receiving the audio to properly downmix the 6 channels to something the device can handle.

Thanks for the response.  I tried choosing Compatible from the audio options within the Emby app but it did not change anything. I also tried all the different audio options on the Fire TV stick itself and nothing worked.  So I thought perhaps the TV is the problem as I'm running sound directly thru the speakers.  The TV says it's Dolby Digital compatible, I tried digging around the settings and couldn't find anything that changed the outcome.

Before writing this off, I did attempt a few more tests.  Because I can hear the voice audio tracks on the Android Emby app on my phone, I started the movie on my phone and then casted the movie to the Amazon Fire TV stick.  Still no sound.  Then decided to forego the Fire TV Stick altogether, unplugged it and connected a Chromecast instead.  I then casted the same movie from my phone to the Chromecast and the sound worked! So this leads me to believe that it is not the TV after all, but rather a setting or hiccup with the Emby app on the Fire TV or the Fire TV Stick itself. 

To be sure, I plugged in the Fire TV Stick into a different TV and the same result, no voice audio tracks come thru playing many of my VOB files.  Other file types the voice audio works just fine on any device running Emby.  I'm out of ideas and my Emby trial runs out in about an hour... :)

I imagine the issue is related to how the DVD rip is being transcoded.  When you send it to different devices, it gets transcoded in different ways.

Transcoding of DVD rips is considered "experimental" because the tools to do it are pretty hit or miss.