Moving metadata folder to SSD

tman

tman

I've been moving a lot of the transient Emby Server data onto an SSD on my server. Makes quite a difference with things like IBN, transcode-temp and MBCache, but I notice that the metadata folder (default is: C:\Users\Administrator\Appdata\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\data\metadata) still defaults to a slower spindle drive. I know where it can be changed in server setup, but if I do this, will MB Server move the existing data, or do I have to shutdown the server, move the data manually, restart the server then point to the new location? I obviously want to make the transition seamless and not lose any data in the process.

Thanks

Koleckai Silvestri

I just updated the value and went about my day. After about a week, I deleted the contents of the metadata directory and didn't notice a difference. However I went the opposite direction. I was moving stuff off the SSD and onto a platter drive.

tman

I just updated the value and went about my day. After about a week, I deleted the contents of the metadata directory and didn't notice a difference. However I went the opposite direction. I was moving stuff off the SSD and onto a platter drive.

Ok. So you didn't manually copy anything, you just let MB do it's thing? Interesting why you went from SSD to platter. What was your reason for this?

Koleckai Silvestri

SSD is more expensive than platter storage. I didn't want that information on the SSD when I could use it for other things like Apps and Server Daemons. All my data is stored on platters. Maybe when SSD gets down to $75 or less per terabyte, I'll rethink that. Logs, transcode temp files, metadata and image cache have all been moved to a platter drive.

Haven't really noticed a change in performance.

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri