Incorrect Cover Ratio

Xzener

• 3 weeks later...
pclausen

Aphid, Luke,

For some time now, movie covers in all views (except home screen) are an incorrect aspect ratio. Can you please fix this? Here are a couple example pictures...

Home screen, where covers look good.

555fd03caa84e_correct.png

And here, notice all covers are much wider than normal. This is effecting all categories (All Movies, Unwatched, etc) and view types...

555fd0a7c63f9_incorrect.png

Hey Xzener,

How are you rotating  your covers and getting the "edge" to render like that.  I'm using Cover Art and turn the "Case" covers to a value of 10, and they look like this:

coverturn.PNG

• Like 1

Xzener

Those are custom covers Ive created over the years (thanks @@leedavies for the inspiration). They are rotated to 8. But honesty, have since given up on a fix and completely wiped my entire fan art collection and had Emby Server download all new fan art. I now use the same cover you are from CoverArt with 0 rotation... But alas... Problem follows the new covers. I am happy with the results, although I feel beaten. Was hoping more users would have supported this issue and gotten a fix. I got tired of the ugly stretched look... Oh well, it is what it is.

Edited by Xzener
  • Like 1

Deathsquirrel

Was hoping more users would have supported this issue and gotten a fix. I got tired of the ugly stretched look... Oh well, it is what it is.

I use coverart and dont have the issue.  All my base art uses the same dimensions and I use a different treatment.  I assume one or both of those facts is sparing me.

xnappo

Would be great if CA had a 'Keep AR and pad with transparency' option. I just stopped using it.

Would be great if CA had a 'Keep AR and pad with transparency' option. I just stopped using it.

There already is a keep AR setting in CA.  This is a client display problem.  If you look at the actual covers generated, they will be whatever aspect ratio they should be (based on settings in the plug-in).  You can also see that they display properly in other clients and in other areas of this same client.

How are you rotating  your covers and getting the "edge" to render like that.  I'm using Cover Art and turn the "Case" covers to a value of 10, and they look like this:

If you use the "Spine Case" treatment in CA, you can get something very similar without special artwork.

5254086d022fd_4502874c27ec2d448e6045cc23

• Like 1

Re-reading this, I think I know now what you are suggesting.  You are talking about when rotation is applied that it doesn't make the image narrower...?

That would be interesting but I think we would end up with a different problem in the displays that work fine now.  All the artwork would end up getting displayed smaller and more spaced out which I'm sure people wouldn't like.

You have given me an idea though for something else CA may be able to do to help out this situation.  I'll look at it when I get a chance.

• Like 2

If someone could try the dev version (4.0.9.3) of CA and tell me if it makes a difference with this issue, I'd appreciate it.  Thx.

xnappo

Re-reading this, I think I know now what you are suggesting.  You are talking about when rotation is applied that it doesn't make the image narrower...?

That would be interesting but I think we would end up with a different problem in the displays that work fine now.  All the artwork would end up getting displayed smaller and more spaced out which I'm sure people wouldn't like.

You have given me an idea though for something else CA may be able to do to help out this situation.  I'll look at it when I get a chance.

Yeah, that is what I mean.  Yes - if the skin is dynamically spacing based on the image size it would make the spacing wider.. But at least in Kodi it would not do that and I *think* would fix the issue.

I will try the dev version tonight..

Edited by xnappo

Xzener

Looks to still be an issue Ebr...

Before

56339e7f519dc_Capture.png

Giving the treatment 8 rotation, the example looks great...

56339ece92eef_Capture2.png

After (Stretched... Notice Mena Suvari looks more like Kate Upton... Which I prefer in real life, just not in Emby ^_^ )

56339f4b118ae_Capture3.png

Edited by Xzener

Xzener

I'm almost certain the cache is rebuilt automatically... They take a while to repopulate. Although I am at work on a T1 line ATM, they always take long to generate regardless.

Okay, well, I think I've done what I can do in the plug-in.  It is accounting for rotation now when it reports the enhanced image size via the API so at this point it is all about how the client reacts to that information.

In the web client it looks like at certain sizes, it makes a difference.  e.g. with a more radical rotation, the aspect is preserved.

5633b7171f188_carotate2.png

5633b724c9381_carotate1.png

But a less radical one, it stretches.

5633b7e0691c4_carotate3.png

5633b7ee3caad_carotate4.png

Possible more tweaking of the reported size could help but I fiddled with it quite a bit and the value I'm using seems to be correct.

xnappo

I still think if you could add transparent padding to make the CA size match the original size it would be better all around.

Notice in the one that is preserved, we have hit some sort of minimum size on the overall tile and it is then preserving the aspect of the image.

On the other one, it is filling the entire tile with the image.  So I do think this has to do with logic in the client.

I still think if you could add transparent padding to make the CA size match the original size it would be better all around.

Only in your specific use-case.  All the people in EMC and the atv app would scream bloody murder as all their images got smaller and spaced apart.

xnappo

Yeah, it could be optional - &maintain_size=true :)  I would very happily update Emby for Kodi to support that.

Until ET 2.0 is out, there are going to be a lot of Kodi users, and while the skins do provide treatments they aren't nearly as nice/consistent as what CA provides.

Basically saying there is an untapped user base out there.

Not sure how hard it is though.

I'll chirp in on this thread as @@Xzener pointed it out to me..

i'd personally like dvd and blu ray to look a different size as they do in actuality. I painstakingly re-sized all my images exactly and the DVD's are stretched and look dreadful... 

There was a maintain aspect ratio option in emby classic i'm sure?? (oh how I miss emby classic... damn you windows 10!)

The maintain aspect ratio option is in CoverArt and it is still there.

shouldn't it be server or app specific though? (i'd say app I guess??) No disrespect but i'm not keen on using coverart so this disables the option for me.

seeing as i'm on the alpha testers for the winphone app how's about some theatre love btw.. @@ebr ??? pretty please with sugar on top...

shouldn't it be server or app specific though? (i'd say app I guess??) No disrespect but i'm not keen on using coverart so this disables the option for me.

You'll have to talk to the app developers about respecting the aspect ratio for your covers.  Some can some can't just due to the way they are designed.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not trying to troll - just vocalizing a question I've had for a while. What is the reason for skewing/rotating artwork? Is there a benefit I'm not seeing, or is it just aesthetic preference?

The web interface will try to keep the posters looking uniform. For example, movie posters from various sources are generally close to a 2:3 aspect ratio but not always exact. If we display every poster as-is then they'll all have slightly different heights, which to most people will look a little sloppy. (I realize this is highly subjective). So what the web interface will do is examine the aspect ratio of each poster individually, and if it thinks it's close enough to 2:3 then it will just stretch it so that every image on screen will look uniform. If it does not consider it close enough, then it will display as-is.