[BETA] New Emby PPA

hurricanehrndz

hurricanehrndz

Hi,

So after a week of hard work and some contributions from testers here and there. I'm ready to announce our new ppa, I have tagged this as beta since it is still in it's early stages and there have been several massive changes since the last.

Changes: 

• mono 4.0 is now distributed with our ppa
  • ImageMagick has openMP disabled
  • Maintainer Scripts were added in order to ensure the upgrade process of emby package. 
  • On first install user is notified of information he should be aware of regarding permissions. 
  • libwebp got updated to the latest version.
  • init.d script now starts mono with various switches and options that is suppose to increase stability.
  • Precise is now compiled, whether it works remains to be tested.
  • Init.d script will use system ffmpeg and ffprobe if found.

Please test at your peril. 

Trying the new ppa:

• Please purge any Xamarin repos that provide mono.

Install Instructions:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:apps-z/emby
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mono-runtime mediainfo libsqlite3-dev imagemagick-6.q8 \
                     libmagickwand-6.q8-2 libmagickcore-6.q8-2 emby

Edited by hurricanehernandez
  • Like 2

Zekesdad

I hope that first part didn't come off ride. I apologize if it did, I didn't mean for it to come off that way.

hurricanehrndz

Try running apt-get install -f followed by apt-get install mono-devel

I think you forgot to run apt-get update.

Poptartica

I am getting the same issue with this package that I had previously (crashes ~10s after launch). Note that when I previously tried to run beta emby with the mono provided by the Xamarin repo, it did work. My repo may not have purged correctly so I'll see if that is the case.

edit: Hmm yeah. Checked to ensure all that was purged (went back through and purged again), and it appeared to be so. Looks like it doesn't want mono at all from that ppa. Anything I'm missing? : 

"Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)"

All the errors were related to mono install.

I did make sure to run apt-get update, and I tried to apt-get install -f and got the same error.

Edited by Poptartica

Delphi

@ will this update from mediabrowser to emby or will it be a fresh install?

hurricanehrndz

@ will this update from mediabrowser to emby or will it be a fresh install?

Yes it should.

hurricanehrndz

I am getting the same issue with this package that I had previously (crashes ~10s after launch). Note that when I previously tried to run beta emby with the mono provided by the Xamarin repo, it did work. My repo may not have purged correctly so I'll see if that is the case.

edit: Hmm yeah. Checked to ensure all that was purged (went back through and purged again), and it appeared to be so. Looks like it doesn't want mono at all from that ppa. Anything I'm missing? :

"Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)"

All the errors were related to mono install.

I did make sure to run apt-get update, and I tried to apt-get install -f and got the same error.

There is nothing different in the binaries for emby, in terms of mono the Xamarin repo has newer binaries and it might be conflicting with the mono version from our ppa. You will need to clean up your mono install, do you have the sonarr repo installed?

Poptartica

There is nothing different in the binaries for emby, in terms of mono the Xamarin repo has newer binaries and it might be conflicting with the mono version from our ppa. You will need to clean up your mono install, do you have the sonarr repo installed?

Yes, I do have the Sonarr repo. It completely slipped my mind that it probably is going to impact things as far as mono is concerned - at the moment I looked over my mono install(s) and I'm pretty certain you are right, and there are definitely leftover files somewhere conflicting that I just can't find (which autoremove, purge, and manually cleaning out old dpkg info files were unable to catch). Any tips?

hurricanehrndz

Sonarr repo has mono as well, I'm not sure the version. This is why I use docker.

Do a apt-cache show mono-runtime, it should list all the mono version's available and what their source repo is. You might also want to purge the sonarr and emby and all repositories associated with mono. And start with our ppa first. Then do a package hold on mono-runtime.

Delphi

@ I think you should make a symlink to /var/lib/emby instead of renaming /var/lib/mediabrowser...

EDIT:

I has to ue the mb backup and just delete the entire /var/lib/emby to get it to work after the update... error logs were still pointing at /var/lib/mediabrowser/root, etc....

Edited by Delphi

hurricanehrndz

@ I think you should make a symlink to /var/lib/emby instead of renaming /var/lib/mediabrowser...

EDIT:

I has to ue the mb backup and just delete the entire /var/lib/emby to get it to work after the update... error logs were still pointing at /var/lib/mediabrowser/root, etc....

Maybe I can remane and create the symlink, I think the backup script should still work.

hurricanehrndz

What is docker?

Docker is a cross between virtualization and chroot, and widely used as a method of delivery packaged applications ready to run without affecting the host os. So for example the docker image of emby is configured with all its dependencies installed and the only thing for a user to do is execute the docker run command.

FingerlessGlovs

Any possible upgrade from old repo instructions. I know how do it but I want want to reset my libary or somthing silly.

hurricanehrndz

The maintainer scripts should take care of everything. Remove the old ppa and add this one. Only issue is with backup plugin.

• 3 months later...
Zekesdad

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:apps-z/emby
Cannot add PPA: 'ppa:~apps-z/ubuntu/emby'.
The user named '~apps-z' has no PPA named 'ubuntu/emby'
Please choose from the following available PPAs:

cannot add this ppa to repository anymore. anyone know whats up?

I don't think you should use this pp anymore. The latest packages are in OBS repo. Please follow the instructions on Emby website.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk