ubuntu server 14.04 Install Help

jelbear

jelbear

Evening

I'm am absolute noobie to Linux, but I've  installed the latest version of Ubuntu server 14.04, and done a few setup tasks.

But would now really like to install emby and start moving my media across to my new server.

I know this must be down to me being thick but I can't seem to get the install script to work, I get to the 3rd line of the Ubuntu install instructions from the website and I then get a permission denied error

sudo echo 'deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/apps-z/mediabrowser/ubuntu trusty main' > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mediabrowser.list

-bash: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mediabrowser.list: Permission denied

could somebody help me out with what I'm doing wrong

cheers

James

tomt92

The directions are unclear, i had the same issue. They assume that you are using the superuser account, or root account to perform the commands. Try:

su
<your password>

This should sign you in as the superuser for Ubuntu. If it doesn't you may have to enable the root password:

sudo passwd root
sudo passwd -u root

Once you are using the terminal as the superuser execute all the commands as listed in the directions.. with one change. Make sure that after you run the echo commands you run;

apt-get update

The run your installs.

Also please be aware that you need to make sure all your media has read/write access by the Emby user which is mediabrowser. I did the following on all my media directories

sudo chown <Your User Name>:mediabrowser -R /path/to/media
sudo chmod 775 -R /path/to/media

the above give your user account ownership of the directory and the mediabrowser group access as well. If you want you can change the permissions to 770 instead of 775 for extra security.

Edited by tomt92

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
jalonerhgan

I am new to Ubuntu and Emby. I have a fresh command prompt install of Ubuntu 14.04 installed. Do you have step by step instructions of how to install emby from the command prompt line. Thanks

I am new to Ubuntu and Emby. I have a fresh command prompt install of Ubuntu 14.04 installed. Do you have step by step instructions of how to install emby from the command prompt line. Thanks

Hi, welcome. Are the instructions on the download page of the website not sufficient?

http://emby.media/linux-server.html

Let us know and we'll do our best to help. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
jalonerhgan

No offense but I would not really call that much of a step by step guide, for a novice to Ubuntu and Emby. Anything with greater detail, maybe some screen snap shots,  that does not makes assumptions on steps would be much appreciated. I keep running into install errors which I think are dealing with permission issues. Would also be willing to donate. 

Edited by jalonerhgan

No offense but I would not really call that much of a step by step guide, for a novice to Ubuntu and Emby. Anything with greater detail, maybe some screen snap shots,  that does not makes assumptions on steps would be much appreciated. I keep running into install errors which I think are dealing with permission issues. Would also be willing to donate. 

Hi, can you tell us exactly what your issue is? We're happy to help. Thanks.