Is there anyone with a large library using xbox360 extenders ? No lockups ?

vaise

jordy

I wasn't aware the xbox360 uses RDP. This would explain the sluggishness then. Its not a big deal for me anyway, I just had it tucked away and thought I'd give it a go after the comments on improvements, etc.  thanks

vaise

Ahhhh - I installed the beta - which i now notice is v 262.  Saw no difference in lockups.......Just came to report this and noticed the 263 is a DEV release.  I can change the Emby Server to automatic updates for DEV release, but will this also do the WMC updates to dev release also ? 

jordy

No you have to set it to Dev updates from within emby classic. From memory its in the last page of the settings menu

vaise

Great, just got the dev release - but off to work so no time to test the lockups.....  Fingers crossed though.

vaise

With Jordy's comments, and EBR's response - are we pushing this uphill here ?  I have removed backdrops, and shrunk images, if i still get lockups and there is nothing more that can be done then I would like to ask - Is there ever going to be a native Emby app for the XBox360 like there is for Plex ?  If not, then I guess I have to entertain a move to plex completely, or a purchase of roku players (4 more of them) to replace the xbox360's.

Macburp

With Jordy's comments, and EBR's response - are we pushing this uphill here ?  I have removed backdrops, and shrunk images, if i still get lockups and there is nothing more that can be done then I would like to ask - Is there ever going to be a native Emby app for the XBox360 like there is for Plex ?  If not, then I guess I have to entertain a move to plex completely, or a purchase of roku players (4 more of them) to replace the xbox360's.

Have you tried 264? I'm starting to think it goes a long way towards solving the lock-up issue. I have changed nothing in my artwork, and run full backdrops, and 264 seems to be lock up free.

vaise

I had a 4.5 hour train ride home last night, so not much time to play - but first TV show I watched, it ended, I pressed stop, then pressed exit twice and locked up.  I have no backdrops, coverart settings or anything like that, and images set to half default size.  I have 264.  Does the server need to be aon a dev release to match maybe ?

vaise

Hi,  Just like to report back on this DEV 264 release - yes - the lockups are definitely improved.  Been lazing on the lounge and watching show after show all day  and no lockups so far.  This is a great improvement.  I have asked the rest of the family to keep a look out.  I was tempted to turn on the backdrops - but got a lockup - so they are back off for now.  Very nice to whoever fixed that - well done.

Now it would be perfect for anyone responsible for the dev on the emby roku app to mod it so that you don't have to click into each TV episode to get all the info as the episode number is not enough just for me to know how new it is.  The Plex app has a small pop up when you hover on each that shows all the info like dates etc - that would be nice for the emby app too.

For now, I think the no more lockups is a big win for us WMC users.

Cheers,

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
vaise

Lockups are fairly non existant now since this release in my opinion.

Just once or twice on clicking TV and the images dont show up (just the ticks).

Happy to live with that for the limited times it happens (maybe 2 a week).  So this fix is the way to go.

• Like 1

paul777

Hi, when you are commenting about locks, speed etc. please can you tell us what network link you have wifi a/b/n or cabled and what you were doing when it locked up - e.g. entering a folder of 500 movies etc.

I normally run my xbox fully cabled but from some testing the xbox seems struggles a lot with wifi connections, performance is hammered and it does occasionally seem to lockup for no apparent reason especially if the wifi signal isn't perfect. There doesn't seem to be any locks in our code - it is more like the rdp protocol has stalled when we try to push lots of image data over a poor connection. The latest DEV releases should help a lot but I'd like to understand the environments where people are still seeing lockups.

• Like 1

Macburp

Hi, when you are commenting about locks, speed etc. please can you tell us what network link you have wifi a/b/n or cabled and what you were doing when it locked up - e.g. entering a folder of 500 movies etc.

I normally run my xbox fully cabled but from some testing the xbox seems struggles a lot with wifi connections, performance is hammered and it does occasionally seem to lockup for no apparent reason especially if the wifi signal isn't perfect. There doesn't seem to be any locks in our code - it is more like the rdp protocol has stalled when we try to push lots of image data over a poor connection. The latest DEV releases should help a lot but I'd like to understand the environments where people are still seeing lockups.

I agree with comments here that the dev versions of MBC seem to have fixed this. For me, the lock-ups always happened the same way - when I was 'backing out' of a series back to the root listing the xbox would crash when I went from the series listing page to the listing of all TV shows. My connection is wired.

vaise

All wired, Cat6 cable to a 24 port gigabit switch (not that the xbox would care about that).  But lockup issues as far as I am concerned are all resolved.  I am even contemplating activating some backdrops - but I dont want to jinx it!

fuzzysb

I had the same issues only after playback, and it would lock up the same way. I solved this by unticking the option to control DNLA devices. the lockups only started happening for me after i added Sonos's around my house and when it locked up the MediaBrowser logs would show an issue with enumerating the Sonos devices, when i disabled this option this went away in the logs and so did my lockups.

• 2 weeks later...
vaise

I have never had the dlna server stuff ticked.  Was therefore I guess not related to my specific issue.  Whatever the dev's did, it got fixed, not lockups are one or two a week - manageable.

• Like 1

I have never had the dlna server stuff ticked.  Was therefore I guess not related to my specific issue.  Whatever the dev's did, it got fixed, not lockups are one or two a week - manageable.

Glad to hear it.

• 2 weeks later...
SpiderValley

I have a bigger library than that and it runs just fine. The only time it runs sluggish is when my pc is overextended (i.e. I'm encoding/converting something), but that's a personal hardware limitation, not the program.

godbodian

@@vaise, In my opinion as someone that pretty much has your same setup give or take a couple of exceptions, and also experiences your same issue... in my experience it's not so much EMBY as it is, the computer's resources. I know that's vague but it can literally be the amount of resources used by your graphics card, it could be the amount of memory utilized by your library's metadata, it could be background processes from other programs running on your hardware. But here's the kicker... EVEN when resources are optimal you STILL may run into the same situation because of the XBOX itself (in my opinion).

My point is I'm literally in the same boat often. The only thing that always seems to work is either restarting WMC on whatever Xbox or going slow. Meaning not making a move until the last action is completed. Here's my personal theory as to why this is only an issue with WMC. WMC and it's 'extenders' were first concepts of streaming and like everything else they really aren't meant for today's file sizes, codecs and etc. What I believe is that the XBOX's WMC and extender in its processes downloads so much info initially that it's partially prohibitive. Then the manner in which things are processed causes lags and hangs that can either be temporary or unrecoverable.

Because I've adopted the slow approach and I know what to look for, the only issue I repeatedly encounter is after watching a full movie WMCExt acts as if it times out. Like it can remember the last action it must return to when I hit "back" on the remote. I don't know if you've had that experience, where you've gone through your library and picked a movie but decided for whatever reason to return to library view, only for it to initially appear as if it's at the beginning but after a short period skip to whatever movie folder you were just in.

Again, I think it's just a thing of outdated software (WMC) on less than dated hardware (the XBOX itself) running tech that was never designed for it and basically too advanced.

Edited by godbodian