DLNA has better support

rhomegaB

rhomegaB

I have the LG GX with WebOS 5. At first I was pretty excited about DLNA playback, but the TV's media browser leaves something to be desired. So, I set up Emby Server on my Odroid HC-1, and enjoyed the sweet graphical interface of Emby on my TV. The main thing I was really happy about was the TV's ability to play media files without transcoding. So it's all working great for lots of videos, but I've come across some files that don't work in Emby, even though they work perfectly fine using the built-in DLNA player. So I know the TV supports the audio/video codecs. I think there's something that Emby doesn't like but I don't know what it is... It just hangs up with a circle, and when it finally loads it plays one or two seconds and freezes again. This is the codec info:

• Video is HEVC (H.265), with 10-bit color depth
  • Audio is Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 (E-AC3)
  • Subtitles are VobSub (DVD spu), which actually don't show up during DLNA playback (no subs found)

What's the hangup in Emby, is it the subtitle format trying to transcode on my server? That seems like a silly thing to prevent smooth playback. Transcoding the whole video seems crazy when you just need to show some text on the screen. Obviously Emby supports external subtitles, so shouldn't it be able to ignore these ones and play the file smoothly? Or is it something else?

Hi, that's great to hear. Thanks for the feedback.

Regarding the files that don't' play, let's look at an example:

Thanks.

rhomegaB

I updated from 4.6.2 to 4.6.4, and now the playback issue is fixed, although the subtitles do not show up. I will try to figure out why from the logs.

EDIT: It was not the server update that fixed the problem. I just had to disable video transcoding for my user.

Edited by rhomegaB
update, without bumping post

EDIT: It was not the server update that fixed the problem. I just had to disable video transcoding for my user.

@rhomegaB no, you don't need to do that. Can we please look at an example?

Thanks.