Emby Theater for Linux 3.0.15 Hangs Indefinitely on AV1 files

marktaff

marktaff

The linux client hangs indefinitely (just have a busy cursor) when I try to play an AV1 video.   The client completely freezes; I have to use OS tools to kill the client.  The server seems fine. Same issue with server versions 4.6.3.0 and 4.6.4.0.  All the files this happens to are AV1 files, but I can't be sure that it happens to all AV1 files.  The files this happens to do play fine in VLC.  I've let it sit and spin for over ten minutes, waiting for a timeout and an error, but it just keeps spinning. I've attached the server log. I can PM sample files that cause this. The issue is repeatable.

emby-server.txt

Hi, just wondering if you hardware has AV1 decoding built in?

marktaff
10 hours ago, cayars said:

Hi, just wondering if you hardware has AV1 decoding built in?

I don't think so. Hardware is 8-10 years old, and I think AV1 is only from 2019. The codecs supported by this hardware seem rather limited by today's standards. 🙂

mark@pacifica:/home/mark> vainfo
libva info: VA-API version 1.10.0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/iHD_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_1_10
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
vainfo: VA-API version: 1.10 (libva 2.10.0)
vainfo: Driver version: Intel iHD driver for Intel(R) Gen Graphics - 21.1.1 ()
vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
      VAProfileMPEG2Simple            : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileMPEG2Main              : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264Main               : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264High               : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileJPEGBaseline           : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline: VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVP8Version0_3          : VAEntrypointVLD

The hardware is an Intel NUC.

Processors: 4 × Intel® Core™ i5-5250U CPU @ 1.60GHz
Memory: 14.6 GiB of RAM (2x8GB) 1600MHz
Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 6000

I ran an AV1 video and a similar x264 video in VLC (which uses hardware acceleration when available). `top' reports the vlc process uses 50% process-cpu for the AV1 video, but only 10% process-cpu for the x264 video. Not definitive, but is does suggest hardware acceleration for x264, but not for AV1.

I would convert any AV1 files you have to AVC or HEVC simply because a lot more hardware can handle these codecs in hardware.

marktaff

Yeah, I'm probably going to transcode them to x265.  I don't really care about AV1.  The real issue is that whatever is causing the core issue, the client isn't handling the problem gracefully.

This box is due to be replaced soon; I'm sure its replacement will have a better selection of hardware codecs.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised about this because our mpv build was compiled with av1 support. You installed one of our pre-packaged builds, right?

marktaff
12 hours ago, Luke said:

I'm surprised about this because our mpv build was compiled with av1 support. You installed one of our pre-packaged builds, right?

Yes, I've only ever installed pre-built packages for the server and clients.  I do have some new information, that may or may not be related.

I have observed similar 'hanging' behavior in the client in another context.  I have two new libraries: one the permanent library with curated content, and another with script-processed content that requires further manual curating before being moved to the permanent library.  The client hangs on a race condition where the source from the tmp library is moved to the permanent library, but is attempted to be played from the tmp library before emby updates the temp library to remove the item from the library. This is an edge-case use of emby, to be sure, and no big deal.  I just avoid being so silly.

Given the similar hanging behavior, it suggests that the av1 hanging issue might likewise be related to a more general 'file not found' or 'file not available' or 'output stream unavailable' class of error.  As far as the 'hanging' part of the issue is concerned, anyway. HTH.

• 1 month later...