Search Behavior Change? No longer displaying episodes from Live TV Guide data.

dafunk60

dafunk60

I recently upgrade from 4.5 to 4.6.4.0.  When I search using the web browser interface for an episode name of a TV show I am only shown TV series / programs which have an episode matching the search from the guide listings.  Previously I would be shown a list of individual episodes that matched the search.  The issue appears to be limited to searching of Live TV guide data.  If an episode has been recorded & is in the library that individual episode is shown in the search results.  I am in the Top Results section of the search results, the only other option is Programs if there are no episode results in the library. 

Is there a new setting that needs to be adjusted to revert to the old search results?  This new setup makes it nearly impossible to find a specific episode by name without need to scroll through a list of all the upcoming episodes.  With the list of episodes be paginated I can't even use the text search in the web browser to locate a specific episode.

Thanks!

Hi, have you checked the tabs now available when doing a search?

dafunk60
2 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, can you please show a screenshot example of what you mean? thanks.

I have attached some screenshots for you.  The 1st shows a few TV shows with their episode names.  The second & third show the search results.  Let me know if there is any additional information I may provide that would be helpful.

Episodes in Guide.png

Search Results 1.png

Search Results 2.png

In 4.6 it groups them, so you click on the show and then see all the episodes for it.

dafunk60
19 minutes ago, Luke said:

In 4.6 it groups them, so you click on the show and then see all the episodes for it.

Thank you for the reply. Is there any way to revert to the previous version of the search results?  Scrolling through all of the episodes for a TV show with lot's of reruns is very tedious compared to being able to find an episode almost instantly with the previous search behavior.

dafunk60

Yes I do.  I am probably not using Emby in the same manner as most users.  I am primarily using Emby to archive various TV shows of interest and catch TV episodes that my DVR has missed.  Most of the time my DVR misses an episode or provides a poor quality / incomplete recording due to problem with my cable TV provider, bad guide data, power outage, or a sporting event running long.  Given this type of usage being able to search by episode made Emby a great solution for me. 

I can appreciate that the new search format may work better for other users.  Perhaps there could be an "Episodes" or "Upcoming TV" section in the search results (in addition to the Top Results & Programs) which would include results from the Live TV Guide data.

If I search for an episode I get this:
image.png.46ee93a762d2fafe3b6dc13cf93109c8.png

That shows me the version I already have as well as The Bang Theory which when clicked will have this episode
image.thumb.png.1b6234dd9dc8252ca4defcf341ac5fbd.png

dafunk60
6 minutes ago, cayars said:

If I search for an episode I get this:
image.png.46ee93a762d2fafe3b6dc13cf93109c8.png

That shows me the version I already have as well as The Bang Theory which when clicked will have this episode
image.thumb.png.1b6234dd9dc8252ca4defcf341ac5fbd.png

Understood.  However, I was hoping to see the upcoming broadcast instances of episodes which match my search as in Emby 4.5.  Take a look at the posts above where I explained my preference & reasoning.  I appreciate that may not be everyone's preference, but in the current state it is very cumbersome to find the upcoming airing of a specific episode when there are a lot of airings of the show.  A show which is in syndication and broadcast on multiple channels can have hundreds of airings in the next two weeks.  This means I need to scroll through the list & manually review hundreds of entries to locate the instance I wish to record.  In Emby 4.5 I could find the episode in seconds using the search function.  Now it can take several minutes.

• Like 1

Yes I get your request, just wanted to make sure you knew it could be searched for but might need an addition click on the show name of type "Programs" to get to it.

dafunk60
Just now, cayars said:

Yes I get your request, just wanted to make sure you knew it could be searched for but might need an addition click on the show name of type "Programs" to get to it.

Thanks!  I do understand I can click on the program, but then I still need to sort through all of the airings manually, which is what I am trying to avoid as the search function works very quickly.

• Like 1