1080p TCL Roku TV shows black screen while transcoding 4k video

Antipokemon
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

Antipokemon

My daughter's TV is a 1080p TCL Roku TV, Model 32S327. I checked for software updates and updated my Emby server to 4.6.4.0 prior to posting this.

Every time she tries to play a 4K movie she only sees a black screen but still shows the video progress. Trying to fast forward the video you see the frames fully rendered, but nothings shows in actual playback.

ffmpeg-transcode-2b2d536c-594f-468c-a344-ea4eb9cd4dce_1.txt

&MaxWidth=3840&MaxHeight=2160

Okay. So Roku has lied to us. They told us that if the device supported HEVC or VP9 it always supported 4K. Your device shows this is not a true statement. There is no way a 32 inch TV could do 4K and be reasonable viewing distance. But appears they gave your model HEVC or VP9 support but not the requisite 4K to go along with it.

We need to fix the capabilities in our Roku app to add support for your TV model. The issue is most Roku/RokuTV can downscale 4K to 1080P. Yours cannot.

What is the model # of your Roku TV?
It will appear on "stats for nerds" inside the video player of the Emby for Roku app when you play any item.  Thanks.

For reference this is your Roku TV part number: 32S327 .. But we need the model number the Roku reports for itself. Thanks.

For example my 50 inch TCL Roku TV is part number 50S425 model number 7130X.

Edited by speechles

Gilgamesh_48

Rokus are notoriously limited in the video codecs, bit rates and audio codecs that are supported. They behave badly when faced with any adversity. However when they have media that are within the somewhat limited requirements they need they are the best streamer around.

I do not really know much about that TV but its name says 1080p so they may not support 4K videos at all. Many stand alone Roku boxes do not support 4K at all.

When facing a TV or box that that does not support the native format of the client Emby will transcode if it knows about the non-support. But there are some clients that do not correctly identify themselves.

Another possibility is how your server is transcoding 4K videos. There are some, fairly rare, clients that fail to correctly video that are transcoded with hardware transcoding on but work fine with it off. If you have it on try turning it off and if that works reboots of the server sometimes fixes the problem.

There are others here that know more but that is a place to start.

Antipokemon

Thanks for the quick response. I actually didn't expect to hear anything until tomorrow. The Model is: TCL TV8116X

52 minutes ago, Antipokemon said:

Thanks for the quick response. I actually didn't expect to hear anything until tomorrow. The Model is: TCL TV8116X

Thanks for this. We will see what we can do to make this more seamless. Even if it means tracking model numbers. Detection on some things Roku makes very difficult. We have to proceed accordingly. Thank you for the help. :)

Playback issues are show stoppers. Please never feel you need to wait to yell at us. We enjoy feedback. Even if it is criticism. You cannot do better without knowing where you are doing worse. If we mess up call us on it. We need users to be more upfront with us about when they discover issues or problems. Thanks again.

Edited by speechles
  • Thanks 1

Gilgamesh_48
4 minutes ago, speechles said:

Playback issues are show stoppers. Please never feel you need to wait to yell at us. We enjoy feedback. Even if it is criticism. You cannot do better without knowing where you are doing worse. If we mess up call us on it. We need users to be more upfront with us about when they discover issues or problems. Thanks again.

This is very true. Emby will even try to help when you have stated that you are just reporting something. ;) That is not usually a bad thing.

They also try not to fight with you even if you try to pick a fight. It can be VERY frustrating. 👿😛🙄

@Antipokemon I see a way to do this and make it easy for you. It is only these Roku TV that have this problem. When the screen size is under 43 inches. Roku does disclose the size of the Roku TV screen in the device capabilities in centimeters. We can use this to tell when the screen size is under 43 inches and assume the model cannot downscale 4K->1080P and then properly assign the highest video mode accordingly. This will work without you have to do a thing. It will also work for others in the same predicament with similar screen sizes with different model numbers. Track by model number is last resort and with this method we will not have to.

@Gilgamesh_48 You are always uber cool. I mean that. It isn't wise to bite the hand that feeds you. It isn't smart to scream at your parents. Both deserve respect. Users deserve respect. Respect your parents. People who have your best interest in mind. We want you happy because it makes us happy. :P

Edited by speechles

Antipokemon

@speechles This would be great. I've been wanting to try to get my son a TV similar to this as well and this problem has been my only hesitation. I could only imagine having to track things by model number with the number of Roku enabled devices there are out there now.

Thanks for the help.

Gilgamesh_48
2 hours ago, speechles said:

@Gilgamesh_48 You are always uber cool. I mean that. It isn't wise to bite the hand that feeds you. It isn't smart to scream at your parents. Both deserve respect. Users deserve respect. Respect your parents. People who have your best interest in mind. We want you happy because it makes us happy.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." Mark Twain

When I found Emby (after using Plex and a few other media managers) I felt a bit like I had been a "starving dog" and Emby made me prosperous or at least no longer starving for media access. ;)

19 hours ago, speechles said:

I see a way to do this and make it easy for you. It is only these Roku TV that have this problem. When the screen size is under 43 inches. Roku does disclose the size of the Roku TV screen in the device capabilities in centimeters. We can use this to tell when the screen size is under 43 inches and assume the model cannot downscale 4K->1080P and then properly assign the highest video mode accordingly. This will work without you have to do a thing. It will also work for others in the same predicament with similar screen sizes with different model numbers. Track by model number is last resort and with this method we will not have to.

No...  Use roDeviceInfo.getModelDetails()

• 5 months later...
  • Solution
17 hours ago, Antipokemon said:

Has this been addressed yet? If so, I'm still having the same issue.

Hi.  Are you running the current beta of the app?