New Plugin: Smart Playlists 2.0

ShaneP

Happy2Play

@ShanePCan you expand Smart Playlist to include "Music Videos" and "Home Videos" as they appear to be excluded?

Music Videos are Type: MusicVideo / MediaType: Video 

Home Videos are Type: Video / MediaType: Video

Movies are Type: Movie / MediaType: Video which works.

• Agree 2

ShaneP
On 10/1/2021 at 4:04 PM, SpiritFaerie said:

Hi there. Could really appreciate the help. I cant get the playlist to work when a genre is included and was wondering if there is a specific way to set the name.

Hey @SpiritFaerie, did you get  it to work ?

ShaneP
On 10/5/2021 at 10:47 PM, goldsworthy1 said:

Is it possible to make it so you can sort playlists by date added rather than name?

@goldsworthy1Will add this to the next release, coming soon

On 10/7/2021 at 3:19 AM, questionmark693 said:

Does this plug-in require a specific server or windows version to work?

@questionmark693It uses the underlying Emby framework, so if Emby is running on the server the plug in should work.

ShaneP
On 8/18/2021 at 5:37 PM, InaudibleDirge said:

is it possible to add full shows to smart collections as opposed to every episode in the show? i'm not seeing tv shows as a media type option

Done, this is in the next release but will only work for collections.

• Thanks 1

ShaneP
On 10/5/2021 at 10:47 PM, goldsworthy1 said:

Is it possible to make it so you can sort playlists by date added rather than name?

Hey @goldsworthy1 firstly I found the 'parameter id' bug and fixed it. (next release). Secondly, I do not see a way to set the sort order of the playlist when creating it. When creating the playlist it just creates the playlist using the underlying Emby framework/components and we supply the 'items' for the list. I see this functionality is not available in Emby standard playlist and collections either so not much I can do about it. Maybe we can request this for playlists and collections and upvote, and when/if it's available I'll make a change to the smartplay list plugin.

ShaneP
On 12/10/2021 at 3:11 AM, Happy2Play said:

@ShanePCan you expand Smart Playlist to include "Music Videos" and "Home Videos" as they appear to be excluded?

Music Videos are Type: MusicVideo / MediaType: Video 

Home Videos are Type: Video / MediaType: Video

Movies are Type: Movie / MediaType: Video which works.

@Happy2Play I assume you mean under the MediaType criteria (Along with Audio, Movie, Episode) ?

Happy2Play
34 minutes ago, ShaneP said:

@Happy2Play I assume you mean under the MediaType criteria (Along with Audio, Movie, Episode) ?

Sure, but I don't know exactly what is preventing them from being added.  That is really the only differences I could see in the api. 

ShaneP

Hey All, Release 2.1.0.0 is now available for testing.

Version 2.1.0.0

• Feature

• Added a new feature that can roll up episode items to either their season or series, this is only available for smart collections. (Emby restriction)
      • EpiModes:
        • Item: Collection will contain episodes
        • Season: Collection will roll up episode to season
        • Series: Collection will roll up episode to series
    • Added a new feature that shows smart play list statistics. (Info Icon on smartlist)
    • New Layout
    • Small UI changes
    • Added the following criteria:
      • Studio
      • Added "Music and Home Video" to Media Type. BREAKING CHANGE, please re-select the media type criteria and save any playlist that uses the Media Type criteria
    • Added confirmation on playlist delete
  • Bug fix

• Fixed a bug then when generating a new playlist or collection that an error was raised with 'Invalid Parameter Id'

As always code is here

Note: If re-selecting the media type does not work, you might need to delete and recreate the playlist.

SmartPlaylist-2.1.0.0.zip

Edited by ShaneP
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

wordlover

@ShaneP I am loving the Smart Playlist plugin - thanks for the great work. The only confusion I have is that playlists I create seem to be automatically shuffled. Is there a way to have a playlist sorted, so users can choose whether or not to shuffle?

And an additional request is to have the ability to sort by a variety of different fields. I am using it for music and would love the ability to choose whether to sort by Album Artist or Artist or Album.

But this is geat work already and much appreciated. 

• Like 1

levander

@ShaneP

nice improvements. thanks!

one question: how would you suggest I remove playlist/collection I created in Smart Playlist Dashboard without losing it in emby library?

ShaneP
On 12/22/2021 at 8:39 PM, N3RO815 said:

Hi.

How can i use this plugin with emby Version 4.7.0.19 beta? It seems not work.

Hey @N3RO815, I’ll have to see what the breaking change is, if it’s not small I could put out a preview branch. Firstly I need to get the beta installed :)

• Like 1

ShaneP
5 hours ago, levander said:

@ShaneP

nice improvements. thanks!

one question: how would you suggest I remove playlist/collection I created in Smart Playlist Dashboard without losing it in emby library?

Hey @levander currently the code looks for the related playlist by its internal Id and then name, if found it removes it. I’m thinking of adding an “Disable” option so it’s excludes from the schedule. Also, I could put in a confirmation on delete to remove the “emby” place list, but this might cause confusion. You could edit the “behind the scenes” json file and  change the internal id, I haven’t tested that though or you could just set the playlist mode to “manual” and it should be excluded from scheduled generation.

ShaneP
On 12/29/2021 at 6:09 PM, wordlover said:

@ShaneP I am loving the Smart Playlist plugin - thanks for the great work. The only confusion I have is that playlists I create seem to be automatically shuffled. Is there a way to have a playlist sorted, so users can choose whether or not to shuffle?

And an additional request is to have the ability to sort by a variety of different fields. I am using it for music and would love the ability to choose whether to sort by Album Artist or Artist or Album.

But this is geat work already and much appreciated. 

Hey @wordlover to my understanding, the playlists are controlled by Emby itself so the plug-in can’t change the order of items in said playlist. Have you looked into standard emby playlist functionality as this might be “doable” there.

wordlover
2 hours ago, ShaneP said:

Hey @wordlover to my understanding, the playlists are controlled by Emby itself so the plug-in can’t change the order of items in said playlist. Have you looked into standard emby playlist functionality as this might be “doable” there.

@ShaneP Unfortunately Emby's playlist functionality - especially when filtering by genre - doesn't allow boolean logic, which is why your plugin is so useful. I am puzzled, though, why your plugin would generate shuffled playlists, rather than each album of tracks coming one after the other?

ShaneP
11 hours ago, wordlover said:

@ShaneP Unfortunately Emby's playlist functionality - especially when filtering by genre - doesn't allow boolean logic, which is why your plugin is so useful. I am puzzled, though, why your plugin would generate shuffled playlists, rather than each album of tracks coming one after the other?

Hey @wordloverInsee what you’re saying, can you send me a screenshot on how your playlist is setup so I can try replicate.

wordlover

@ShaneP

See below - I create the playlist, then open it in Emby player, and it's already shuffled, with no way to sort it by album (or any other field).

emby01.thumb.jpg.17d94e986ee5f74fefb09edc6d0a11cc.jpgemby02.thumb.jpg.1189a0c34226c1119269dd2e6f649591.jpg

Edited by wordlover

ShaneP
5 hours ago, wordlover said:

@ShaneP

See below - I create the playlist, then open it in Emby player, and it's already shuffled, with no way to sort it by album (or any other field).

emby01.thumb.jpg.17d94e986ee5f74fefb09edc6d0a11cc.jpgemby02.thumb.jpg.1189a0c34226c1119269dd2e6f649591.jpg

@wordlover It looks like the playlist auto sorts by song title (if I  am not mistaken), I guess an option would be to add functionality (like I did with the episode) where it could roll up the item to the album or artist and add that rather, but that would only be available on collections,  I only use Emby for video, so do you know if collections support audio? (looking at the Emby framework it should). I also double checked and there seems to be no way for me to sort the playlist programmatically, maybe one of the Emby gurus could chime in here.

wordlover

@ShaneP That was my first thought, too, but despite the alphabetical order of the first few tracks, the whole  (long) playlist doesn't seem to be sorted by "track title" - scrolling down a screen or two they really do seem random. I just made another test playlist based on genre (non-piano classical), and the first dozen tracks seem alphabetized, but then the next few screens restarts alpha order of titles. Not sure if that's helpful.

fillidill

This is such a powerful plugin, but when testing the latest version out making a collection with both movies and shows I get the below error. Seems to happen with certain TV shows. 

2022-01-04 22:30:15.123 Error Server: Error processing request
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 4.6.7.0
	Command line: /system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /config -ffdetect /bin/ffdetect -ffmpeg /bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /bin/ffprobe -restartexitcode 3
	Operating system: Linux version 4.4.180+ (root@build15) (gcc version 7.5.0 (GCC) ) #42218 SMP Mon Oct 18 19:17:56 CST 2021
	Framework: .NET Core 3.1.21
	OS/Process: x64/x64
	Runtime: system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
	Processor count: 4
	Data path: /config
	Application path: /system
	System.ArgumentNullException: System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null. (Parameter 'source')
	   at System.IO.Pipelines.StreamPipeExtensions.CopyToAsync(Stream source, PipeWriter destination, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpServer.FileWriter.WriteToAsync(IResponse response, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceHandler.ProcessRequestAsync(HttpListenerHost appHost, IRequest httpReq, IResponse httpRes, RestPath restPath, String responseContentType, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpServer.HttpListenerHost.RequestHandler(IRequest httpReq, ReadOnlyMemory`1 urlString, ReadOnlyMemory`1 localPath, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	Source: System.IO.Pipelines
	TargetSite: System.Threading.Tasks.Task CopyToAsync(System.IO.Stream, System.IO.Pipelines.PipeWriter, System.Threading.CancellationToken)

wordlover

@ShaneP I found an apparent minor glitch: renaming a Smart Playlist doesn't take. It's reflected in the playlist edit screens, immediately and returning to it there later, but not in the main Emby playlist screen. Restarting the Emby server doesn't help. Just FYI.emby1.jpg.2f48238652d3ce07f05d053ca10dc6e3.jpgemby2.jpg.0d1e0c4596f4511b956e83fcc0417e93.jpg

luke_70it
On 1/3/2022 at 10:17 PM, ShaneP said:

@wordlover It looks like the playlist auto sorts by song title (if I  am not mistaken), I guess an option would be to add functionality (like I did with the episode) where it could roll up the item to the album or artist and add that rather, but that would only be available on collections,  I only use Emby for video, so do you know if collections support audio? (looking at the Emby framework it should). I also double checked and there seems to be no way for me to sort the playlist programmatically, maybe one of the Emby gurus could chime in here.

Luke (Emby ahthor, not me...) said smartlists are sorted in the order entries are added.

So it will be possible to add a sort field in smartplaylist, to sort media.

BTW it's possible to manually sort all media in a smartlist by clicking on the double horizontal line on the right and move each media in the desired order.

wordlover
On 1/7/2022 at 1:34 AM, luke_70it said:

Luke (Emby ahthor, not me...) said smartlists are sorted in the order entries are added.

So it will be possible to add a sort field in smartplaylist, to sort media.

BTW it's possible to manually sort all media in a smartlist by clicking on the double horizontal line on the right and move each media in the desired order.

That's not feasible with a multi-hundred track playlist, and shouldn't be necessary.