PGSSUB causing 4k UHD playback pauses

jrwalte

jrwalte

This is on Nvidia Shield 2019 Pro. I noticed that when I play forced PGSSUB that movies will randomly pause for a couple seconds and then resume. It can happen several times in a row or only once. Play for 15 mins or for 5. I played two movies with forced subs (and one Atmos while other DTS-HD) and recorded the time when the pauses happened. Once I turn off PGSSUB, the movies will play back smoothly. I know they play back smoothly not from this short test, but because I've watched both movies entirely with the subs off and never one pause.

I submitted log under user "Justin". Times are in Eastern.

M:I Rogue Nation
8:26
8:26
8:27

IP Man 4
8:32

embyserver 071021 0837.txt

Edited by jrwalte

Hi.  It looks like the player is buffering but I'm not sure why the subtitle would impact that.

jrwalte

Any thoughts on solution? 

Would changing buffering size maybe help?

Buffering would be odd. I'm on a gigabit ethernet connection. Unless it a bug/limitation of http streaming?

You could try increasing the buffering setting and see if that makes a difference.

• 2 weeks later...
jrwalte

Unfortunately no help. I think it may of allowed it to play longer, but then when the pause does hit, it's worse and sometimes fatal and never resumes. Program stays responsive and I can just back out and resume.

My issue isn't exactly as all these other PGS threads I've seen, but I suspect it is for the same reason.

I also tried side loading the Android version and it was even worse.

Edited by jrwalte

jrwalte

As in other threads, I can confirm that using SRT instead of PGS does not have the issue. But I'd rather use PGS I get from the disc rather than having to manually download other subs.

Deathsquirrel

For what it's worth, I'm not having this issue with any of my content.  I tried HD and 4K rips.

jrwalte

This seems to be resolved. I watched entire movie with PGS subs without an issue. I noticed both my server and app version have updated. Server to 4.6.4.0 from 4.5.4.0 and app to 2.0.33g from 2.0.30g