A tool for tagging Emby content

VicMoore
GrimReaper
Message added by GrimReaper,

For Plugin version of the tool, go to:

GrimReaper

It's all you, bud, what you've made is useful to no end. 

Cheers

MBSki

Where are the var's supposed to go? None of the fields are active when I open up the html file. I assume the var's are supposed to be in the first text block, but there's no cursor, I can't paste, and I can't type. It's probably something simple, but what am I missing? 

VicMoore

I am not sure what you are asking.  Try again to explain your question please.

Vic

MBSki
3 minutes ago, VicMoore said:

I am not sure what you are asking.  Try again to explain your question please.

Vic

I have to enter the server and API variables right? Well, there's no place to add them. All the text boxes are locked. This is what I'm supposed to see right? and the variables go in the first box? I can't enter anything in the first box though.

image.thumb.png.e5be82bcbf8c8c2b1df81f3450cbcb7d.png

Happy2Play
12 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

I have to enter the server and API variables right? Well, there's no place to add them. All the text boxes are locked. This is what I'm supposed to see right? and the variables go in the first box? I can't enter anything in the first box though.

image.thumb.png.e5be82bcbf8c8c2b1df81f3450cbcb7d.png

With the big box being empty I am guessing your Emby url and/or api key are wrong.

Did you edit the html file with your info?

image.png.11240c2fd04e52dcd1c75481ddb34c1d.png

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Thanks 1

MBSki
14 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Did you edit the html file with your info?

No, no, I did not. 😅 I knew it was something simple. Thanks!

MBSki

@VicMoore I got it working now. 

Couple of things that would be useful for me at least. 

Photos

1. Select all is great within a folder, but is it possible to have select all at the top level which would select all folders and as a result select all individual photos?
  2. Once everything is tagged, is there a way to auto tag any new items that get added in the future?

Music

1. Is there a way to grab all the music that is explicit either via [Explicit] in the filename or the Apple's Explicit metadata tag? If I could filter on either of these I could grab all the explicit music and give it a new tag that Emby reads.

MBSki
On 8/3/2021 at 12:53 PM, VicMoore said:

Attached below is the latest code. The only improvements are in the TV Guide for live TV.

Is there a trick to accessing the tags for Live TV channels? I see Live TV, but I can't click on it. 

VicMoore

When you click on liveTV you should get a TV Guide populated with the virtualTV  channels.  If you click on a program in the guide you will get the info on that item and it's primary cover art. Click on the image and the program will play.  I use this feature to confirm that virtualTV built the channels as I expected. I also built it just for fun 🙂

Vic

MBSki
21 minutes ago, VicMoore said:

When you click on liveTV you should get a TV Guide populated with the virtualTV  channels.  If you click on a program in the guide you will get the info on that item and it's primary cover art. Click on the image and the program will play.  I use this feature to confirm that virtualTV built the channels as I expected. I also built it just for fun 🙂

Vic

Ah, ok. Yea, I don't get anything when I click on it, but I was hoping to use it to tag channels. Doesn't sound like that's what it's for though. 🙂

VicMoore

Good morning mbarylski...

If you could explain to me what it means to tag a channel then maybe I can implement it.  For me a virtualTV channel consists of a collection of TV shows which are each tagged. The channel itself is not tagged but is defined as a random collections of shows that are tagged. I think your concept is different. 

Vic

MBSki
2 hours ago, VicMoore said:

If you could explain to me what it means to tag a channel then maybe I can implement it.  For me a virtualTV channel consists of a collection of TV shows which are each tagged. The channel itself is not tagged but is defined as a random collections of shows that are tagged. I think your concept is different. 

Yes, certainly. If you look at the channel metadata it now has tags just like all the other media types. In the example below, the NBC channel has been tagged with Kids, Sports, and News. What I'd like to be able to do though is select multiple channels and add a tag. As an example, the 2nd image shows 3 4k channels. I'd like to be able to select all 3 and apply "4k" as a tag to all of them.  

image.thumb.png.7f5e75fb2b58070dcdd227dd173f5af2.png

image.png.5a28e2ac885b0ce7fd598fcf7cc4c2a8.png

VicMoore

OK, thanks for the help. I played with the API a bit and I now know how to tag channels. It's not hard to do. I just need to carve out some time to do it.  Give me a few weeks and it will be done.  I may be able to get to it earlier. I just don't know.

Vic

• Thanks 1

MBSki
8 minutes ago, VicMoore said:

OK, thanks for the help. I played with the API a bit and I now know how to tag channels. It's not hard to do. I just need to carve out some time to do it.  Give me a few weeks and it will be done.  I may be able to get to it earlier. I just don't know.

Awesome! Thanks so much Vic!

• 2 weeks later...

Been tagging content manually and it's a lot of it.

Been trying to figure this out but I don't know where to type in the url and api information... if anyone could show a screen shot or something it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

• Agree 1

MBSki
18 minutes ago, STR8 said:

Been trying to figure this out but I don't know where to type in the url and api information... if anyone could show a screen shot or something it would be greatly appreciated.

That was the exact same question I had. 😁

Just open the HTML file with notepad, and at the top you'll see this:

// Enter the URL for your emby server on your local LAN
        var emby_url = "http://192.168.1.201:8096/emby/";
        // Enter your API key (an existing API key or create a new one in the Emby settings)
        var api_key  = "b392624f0f1a4848869f58d1e0c22b40";

Just change the URL to your Emby servers URL, and replace the api key with your api key from Emby Settings.

• 2 weeks later...
VicMoore

Good morning Mbarylski.  I just finished the code for tagging channels.  At the moment it only works for VirtualTV.  I have not had any other requests.

To tag a channel click on LiveTV to bring up the VirtualTV TV guide. Then mouse over the channel names on the left side of the Guide. When you do so, the TAGS for the channel that your mouse is over will display in a red line at the top of the Guide.  If you want to tag that channel you just "ctl click" it. You then enter the tag names just like you do for tagging movies and TV shows.

I have not done much testing.  If you encounter bugs please let me know and I will fix them.

Vic

emby-tag-tool-23-e.html

• Like 2

@VicMoore, first things first: Thanks for your work on this tool.

I meant to give it a go long time ago but unfortunately just got to it today.
I added my domain + (freshly generated) api key to the config and opened the html file but no matter what I try, there isn't really much I can do - see screenshot.
Am I missing anything in the setup?

image.thumb.png.657872cd8cfc6ca7e224ae4a73e5beb0.png

Edited by neik

@VicMoore Thanks! I just tested it a few minutes ago and I don't get anything when clicking LiveTV. That said, what do you mean by VirtualTV? All of my channels are coming from an HDHomeRun Prime Tuner.

VicMoore

Hello Neik...

From the image I see that you did not select a user. You must do so for the tool to know which emby files that you want to tag. select a user from the pull down list and let me know if this fixes your problem.

Vic

VicMoore

Hello Mbarylski ... 

I miss understood your request (again).  Sometimes I can be a little dense. VirtualTV is a plugin that creates virtual TV channels composed of content that you select from your emby library. It's like creating your own cable TV company. The TV guide that I spoke about is the TV Guide created by VirtualTV.  To tag channels I use the same API's that LiveTV uses with homerun and other tuners. I will add the code necessary to handle any tuner, but I can't test it because I don't have any such tuners anymore. You will have to test it.  Give me a few days and it will be done.  In the mean time take a look at VirtualTV. I think you will like it.

Vic