Sometimes the timeline of the video is wrong

MagicRin

MagicRin

When I was organizing the movie, I found that sometimes the subtitles could match the timeline and sometimes they couldn't.After repeated experiments, I found that the timeline of the video itself is sometimes inconsistent with the real one.The emby dashboard shows this video as a direct play.I am very confused why this problem occurs, please help me!

PS: These two pictures of the scene almost 3 seconds apart

]Z)`NF{56CGWUW0Q]A)KVHR.png

_PAEZ$4U4L8O}6L~%WN(IIC.png

Edited by MagicRin

MagicRin

When I play a movie with an external ass subtitle, sometimes the subtitle will be displayed only after a few seconds after the movie starts playing. This results in a phenomenon like the picture

3`N(5PHZ9)~57L(D2L_PFG0.png

OHRV7ZZN[@G75`90HJCF]LQ.png

Hi, looks like the browser video player is having trouble with the file.

As a test, if you lower the in app quality setting to force a full transcode, does it happen then?

MagicRin
On 7/8/2021 at 10:42 PM, Luke said:

Hi, looks like the browser video player is having trouble with the file.

As a test, if you lower the in app quality setting to force a full transcode, does it happen then?

Hi there, I've tested it many times and it only seems to have this problem when playing directly, I haven't had the same problem again when doing transcoded playback

As a test could you try running this media file through a remux process? MKVToolNix or ffmpeg could be used to do this.

MagicRin
1 hour ago, cayars said:

As a test could you try running this media file through a remux process? MKVToolNix or ffmpeg could be used to do this.

I successfully used MKVToolNix to combine mkv with ass, is this correct?

MagicRin
1 hour ago, cayars said:

After combining the video and subtitle files using MKVToolNix, I replaced the original files in the emby server, but the problem persists

Also what is the phenomenon in the picture? It's unclear just by looking at it. Thanks.

MagicRin
9 hours ago, Luke said:

Also what is the phenomenon in the picture? It's unclear just by looking at it. Thanks.

Hi, when playing this video directly using emby, the timeline of the video is misaligned, for example a few seconds slower than the real timeline. Let me give you an example: the timeline of the first picture of this post shows 14:47, but the picture may actually be a 14:50 picture, while the second picture is the correct 14:47 picture (using PotPlayer). There doesn't seem to be this problem when using emby for transcoding playback.

MagicRin
16 hours ago, cayars said:

This is playing direct?

Yes, I found this problem when playing it directly, but it doesn't seem to be a problem when playing it transcoded.

This to me sounds like a slight issue with the media itself that Emby is able to fix with a transcode.

First thing I would try is is remux of the file with a tool such as ffmpeg or MKVToolnix.

MagicRin
On 7/16/2021 at 8:08 PM, cayars said:

This to me sounds like a slight issue with the media itself that Emby is able to fix with a transcode.

First thing I would try is is remux of the file with a tool such as ffmpeg or MKVToolnix.

I tried to remux the film, but the problem remained. In fact, this is not the only film with this problem, I have several episodes with similar problems.

On 7/7/2021 at 12:01 AM, MagicRin said:

When I play a movie with an external ass subtitle, sometimes the subtitle will be displayed only after a few seconds after the movie starts playing. This results in a phenomenon like the picture

3`N(5PHZ9)~57L(D2L_PFG0.png

Hi, i you know how to use ffmpeg could you try the command below to generate a single image at 15:58 and see what myimage.jpg compares to?

ffmpeg -ss 00:15:58.00 -i "myvideo.ext" -frames:v 1 myimage.jpg

MagicRin
On 7/19/2021 at 7:03 PM, cayars said:

Hi, i you know how to use ffmpeg could you try the command below to generate a single image at 15:58 and see what myimage.jpg compares to?

ffmpeg -ss 00:15:58.00 -i "myvideo.ext" -frames:v 1 myimage.jpg

Hello, the image I generated using the command you provided is below.

myimage.jpg

Thanks,

That matches what you showed with PotPlayer.  I will need to do some testing to see why Emby's timeline is off a smidge.

• 2 weeks later...
MagicRin
On 2021/7/23 at AM11点42分, cayars said:

谢谢,

这与您使用 PotPlayer 显示的内容相符。我需要做一些测试,看看为什么 Emby 的时间线有点偏差。

Hi, I found another problem, there are some x264 video will appear the sound and picture out of sync, either direct play or transcode play.

Edited by MagicRin
Unclear expression of meaning

23 hours ago, MagicRin said:

Hi, I found another problem, there are some x264 video will appear the sound and picture out of sync, either direct play or transcode play.

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !