Play Queue Weirdness When Casting On Secure Connection

Dreakon13

Dreakon13

Hi, so this is a little complicated but follow me...

If I play a group of songs without casting, or use an insecure connection and simply cast the entire tab that the web app is running on... the play queue works fine.

If I play on a secure connection (ie. through my secure reverse proxy URL) it seems to support casting differently... and the play queue does this:

https://i.imgur.com/8cpdLyT.gif

Notice how Lost in Echoes never moves yet parts of the Play Queue shuffle around.

You'll notice in that GIF that the casting symbol is filled in and it says Chromecast.  This doesn't happen on insecure connections (like app.emby.media), even if I cast the tab.  When using the secure connection, and casting to my Google Home, is when these issues start happening.

To be honest, this same exact issue happens on the Android Mobile app too.  Probably due to the same secure connection casting thing that's happening here.

Long story short...

secure connection + casting to my Google Home = Play Queue issues

insecure connection and casting the tab from the browser, or not casting anywhere = fine and dandy

EDIT: Oh, also when this issue happens, clicking on the songs does not begin to play them.  I have to right-click and go to Play All From Here to get it to go.  Same thing in the Android Mobile app as well.

Edited by Dreakon13

Dreakon13

Hi, digging up old memories here... but I made a thread in Web App that I feel is closely related to this since fiddling with the Play Queue has the exact same issues as the mobile app when casting on a secure connection.  I appreciate the follow up, the newer versions didn't seem to improve the situation but I think I'm honing on exactly what the problem is (secure connection + casting).

Edited by Dreakon13

Dreakon13

Just a bump, was I onto something with any of this?

If there is something hinky with the play queue when casting through a secure connection, and it were fixable, it'd resolve one of my bigger issues I've had switching to Emby.

Dreakon13

@Luke @ebr @cayars

Wouldn't normally make a point to directly anything to anyone personally, but I'd even take a "this isn't a problem, shut up and stop bugging us" over no response. :)

Web app implies browsing. Which browser is this? Is it all browsers give the same issue?

When using https you have to keep all the ducks in a row. Your SSL certificate might come into play. Self-signed certificates are likely rejected on most devices in todays climate. It would be foolish for them to accept a garbage certificate. Are you using garbage?

If using a normal non-self signed certificate. Is all your port forwarding done correctly for https?

You have not given enough details to really go into a verbatim "how to fix" walk-through yet. It is hard to say why it doesn't work without knowing more.

Edited by speechles

Dreakon13
56 minutes ago, speechles said:

Web app implies browsing. Which browser is this? Is it all browsers give the same issue?

When using https you have to keep all the ducks in a row. Your SSL certificate might come into play. Self-signed certificates are likely rejected on most devices in todays climate. It would be foolish for them to accept a garbage certificate. Are you using garbage?

If using a normal non-self signed certificate. Is all your port forwarding done correctly for https?

You have not given enough details to really go into a verbatim "how to fix" walk-through yet. It is hard to say why it doesn't work without knowing more.

Thanks for the reply, happy to answer anything.

The certificate is through Let's Encrypt on my Synology DS220+ and the secure connection to Emby is through a reverse proxy.  It's not self-signed, or garbage as far as I know.  The necessary ports are forwarded for my setup.  To clarify, Emby is working, the connection is secure, and nothing appears to be "rejecting"... it's strictly related to the Play Queue, on a secure connection, when casting to my Google Home devices.

There's no other discernable functionality issues between a secure and non-secure connection as far as my setup goes.  Or even a secure connection that isn't casting, which works fine.

I'm using Brave browser v1.26.7 ... this is also an issue in Edge, Chrome.  As mentioned, I'm also having the same issue with my Android mobile device and the Emby app there.  Happy to keep trying more unless you feel that's sufficient.

Just for reference sake, the Play Queue in Plex seems to be working correctly under the same circumstances (Let's Encrypt certificate, accessing my installation (ie. not their hosted web app) securely through the reverse proxy, casting to Google device, etc).  Two different animals, I know... but just to make the case that my setup might not be totally dysfunctional lol.

Let me know if there's any other info that could help.

EDIT: Tried Firefox but it doesn't seem to gracefully cast to Google Home devices so it's not much of a test.

EDIT 2: I'm on Emby server version 4.6.4.0

Edited by Dreakon13

I didn't comment previously because I don't use a local proxy server so I'm not sure how that would affect things.  I can possibly see how the server not being on a secured port (handled by proxy) could be an issue to a device if the proxy is bypassed during the cast.

I have a feeling this might be a downside to running a local proxy that handles SSL.

Dreakon13
30 minutes ago, cayars said:

I didn't comment previously because I don't use a local proxy server so I'm not sure how that would affect things.  I can possibly see how the server not being on a secured port (handled by proxy) could be an issue to a device if the proxy is bypassed during the cast.

I have a feeling this might be a downside to running a local proxy that handles SSL.

Interesting.  I appreciate the follow up.

I either don't have the setup or the know-how to get this working on HTTPS outside of the reverse proxy to test... but my gut is that you're probably right.  The reverse proxy hitting the insecure local connection could be muddying the waters when it goes to cast.

Is it weird that it's just the Play Queue being effected by it?  Is it a kind of issue that might have a fix if someone "on the inside" has the means to recreate it?

Edited by Dreakon13

It's something we can try to test and see if there is anything that can be done but no promises. :)

• Thanks 1

Dreakon13
12 minutes ago, cayars said:

It's something we can try to test and see if there is anything that can be done but no promises. :)

Understandable, thank you!

Dreakon13
2 hours ago, Luke said:

Are you still seeing this?

Hi, thanks for following up.

Yes, this is still happening.  When using my secure/cert remote proxy URL (https://********.synology.me) to access my Emby servers web app, and casting to one of my Google Home devices, the Play Queue doesn't seem to work as intended.  If I do not cast to anything and play through my laptop speakers, it works fine.

EDIT: As previously discussed, we're theorizing that my remote proxy looping back through my insecure/HTTP local connection may be part of the problem.

EDIT 2:

image.thumb.png.ed9c24782654c1aa3103604263186774.png

Perhaps another way of looking at it... whenever the web app acknowledges the casting I'm doing (typically on secure connections) is when the Play Queue has issues.  Insecure connections like app.emby.media cannot see my Google devices, so the browser itself casts the tab (or if I don't cast at all) and the web app/Play Queue functionality is unimpeded.

Edited by Dreakon13

• 2 weeks later...
Dreakon13

Just to clarify, do you guys feel like this is happening because of my reverse proxy setup?  If I found a way to get it working using a certificate directly or however it goes, do you feel like it'd resolve the issue?

I don't really know how to do that, especially since most of my current setup is facilitated through Synology's services... but if there's a guide or something that I could follow maybe?

• 2 weeks later...

Just to clarify, do you guys feel like this is happening because of my reverse proxy setup?  If I found a way to get it working using a certificate directly or however it goes, do you feel like it'd resolve the issue?

I don't know yet, but I do believe it's worth trying, if only to rule it out.

Are you still running into this?

Dreakon13
4 hours ago, Luke said:

I don't know yet, but I do believe it's worth trying, if only to rule it out.

Are you still running into this?

Thanks for the follow up.  I am still running into this.

I've tried to figure out how to use my certificate directly in Emby without the reverse proxy, but I'm afraid I'm not savvy enough.  The Let's Encrypt cert I got through Synology isn't in the right format and despite some honest efforts, I couldn't get secure access to my server working.  It's very likely I'm not doing something right, and it's probably possible the cert acquired through my Synology DSM just isn't intended to be used that way.

So I haven't been able to test on anything besides the reverse proxy, and the issues still happen with the reverse proxy.

EDIT: I assume for you and your team, that generally speaking, secure connections that aren't through a reverse proxy don't have these same issues that I have on the web app?

Edited by Dreakon13

I'm just saying that the reverse proxy configuration needs to be ruled out first before we start potentially investing a large number of hours trying to chase down a problem that might not exist.

I would suggest comparing your reverse proxy configuration to that of @pir8radio. Even if you're not using nginx, you'll have the same types of settings available related to headers, forwarding, etc.

Dreakon13

I understand, I wouldn't want to send you guys on a wild goose chase either.  My knowledge on this is limited, though I'm happy to troubleshoot to whatever degree I can.  Perusing @pir8radio's posts I'm a bit overwhelmed as I don't think the reverse proxy functionality in Synology's DSM is as robust as nginx (whatever that is lol).  Maybe there's another (better) way I can do it or some functionality in DSM that I haven't tapped into yet.  It's kind of an obscure issue though that I'm having difficulty researching on my own.

image.png.bf43640d567be2e9d81477e1fd3e30f6.png

image.png.caac98ac31f400d275334240922cd235.png

image.png.a917fc2ad9a3a70c64e6d8c02b124b35.png

These are the options available to me.  If @pir8radio or anyone else has insights on something I can try to rule something out, I'd definitely appreciate it.

Edited by Dreakon13

pir8radio
On 8/16/2021 at 4:02 PM, Dreakon13 said:

I understand, I wouldn't want to send you guys on a wild goose chase either.  My knowledge on this is limited, though I'm happy to troubleshoot to whatever degree I can.  Perusing @pir8radio's posts I'm a bit overwhelmed as I don't think the reverse proxy functionality in Synology's DSM is as robust as nginx (whatever that is lol).  Maybe there's another (better) way I can do it or some functionality in DSM that I haven't tapped into yet.  It's kind of an obscure issue though that I'm having difficulty researching on my own.

These are the options available to me.  If @pir8radio or anyone else has insights on something I can try to rule something out, I'd definitely appreciate it.

TBH I don't use chromecast really much other than testing.     I'll PM you my guest account, you can test on my server, report back here if you see the same issue or not..   And we can then either troubleshoot your setup or both of ours. lol  🙂 

Dreakon13
19 minutes ago, pir8radio said:

TBH I don't use chromecast really much other than testing.     I'll PM you my guest account, you can test on my server, report back here if you see the same issue or not..   And we can then either troubleshoot your setup or both of ours. lol  🙂 

Thanks for the opportunity to test, I can report that I am having the same issue on your server.  Kinda glad it doesn't seem to be exclusively my setup. 😄

Happy to help test or troubleshoot further any way I can.

pir8radio
1 minute ago, Dreakon13 said:

Thanks for the opportunity to test, I can report that I am having the same issue on your server.  Kinda glad it doesn't seem to be exclusively my setup. 😄

Happy to help test or troubleshoot further any way I can.

so, i know you sent a gif/video of the issue.  can you explain in detail here again.. sorry..   I will find one of my android tv's that has chromecast and test see if I too can re-create.  then we can dig in.. 🙂     

Dreakon13
1 hour ago, pir8radio said:

so, i know you sent a gif/video of the issue.  can you explain in detail here again.. sorry..   I will find one of my android tv's that has chromecast and test see if I too can re-create.  then we can dig in.. 🙂     

@pir8radio The gif probably explained it better than I can in words... :)  but basically the Play Queue isn't very usable as long as I am casting to a device (ie. Google Home) from a secure URL/connection.

If I try and rearrange items in the Play Queue by clicking and dragging... the item I drag doesn't actually move, and usually other unintended items in the queue start shuffling around.

If I try and click the minus to remove an item from the Play Queue, it doesn't do anything.

If I try and click on an item in the Play Queue to play it, it doesn't do anything.  If I click the green Play button I see hovering over an item, it clears the Play Queue altogether except for that one item/song.

If I go in through my localhost, it's an insecure connection so I cannot cast to my Google Home device... and the Play Queue functions normally.

Hi, sorry jumping in without fully reading everything but just wondering if you have tried this on a secure server not using nginx proxy?

Dreakon13
6 hours ago, cayars said:

Hi, sorry jumping in without fully reading everything but just wondering if you have tried this on a secure server not using nginx proxy?

I can't figure out how to access my server securely without the reverse proxy. :(

That would require setting up the cert directly in Emby and then port forwarding your router directly to Emby.