Play Queue Weirdness When Casting On Secure Connection

Dreakon13

Dreakon13
1 hour ago, cayars said:

That would require setting up the cert directly in Emby and then port forwarding your router directly to Emby.

Right, the Let's Encrypt cert that was acquired with my Synology setup comes in a different format than Emby was looking for.  Made my best efforts to figure out how to convert it and just couldn't get it working.  A level or two above my understanding of all this.  I can try messing with it again but there were so many steps to the process and fields to fill in that I wasn't totally sure that I was doing right, that I wouldn't even know where to begin troubleshooting.

Edited by Dreakon13

This is for songs correct?
If I give you access to my server would you want to try it?  My setup goes through Cloudflare which could also pose a problem but I'm not running nginx so if it works we know it's likely an nginx issue but since Cloudflare also sits in the middle it might not prove anything if it doesn't work (unfortunately).

You want to try it?

Dreakon13
41 minutes ago, cayars said:

This is for songs correct?
If I give you access to my server would you want to try it?  My setup goes through Cloudflare which could also pose a problem but I'm not running nginx so if it works we know it's likely an nginx issue but since Cloudflare also sits in the middle it might not prove anything if it doesn't work (unfortunately).

You want to try it?

Yep, this is for playing music/songs on Emby and casting from the web app to my Google Home device.

If you're willing to give me access and you feel it could help point us in the right direction, I'd be happy to.  Up to you though, I wouldn't want to impose.

Dreakon13
12 minutes ago, cayars said:

Sending you a PM.

Thank you for the access and ability to test.

I'm having the same issues re-arranging, removing and playing items in the Play Queue while casting on your server as well.

• Thanks 1

I was just testing this as well with casting to Theater Desktop and it does the same thing as to the Chromecast.

So I think this is a general "cast" issue and not a Chromecast issue.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, cayars said:

I was just testing this as well with casting to Theater Desktop and it does the same thing as to the Chromecast.

So I think this is a general "cast" issue and not a Chromecast issue.

With his server?

Dreakon13

Just to kinda follow up, we're in agreement that I'm not crazy right? 😄

I'm sure a fix for something like this probably isn't an overnight thing, if possible at all... but just wondering if it's on your radars now?  Since it appears to be something besides my specific reverse proxy setup.

Seeing that casting music around the house is probably 80% of my media server usage and the Play Queue being unusable is a big drawback, I've had to get Plex up and running again to kinda make up the difference.  Kinda itching for the day I can put Plex behind me since I like the direction Emby is heading way better. :)

EDIT: I'd also just like to point out/remind... that this appears to be an issue on the Android mobile app as well under the same circumstances.

And that every time I play a song while casting, the volume bar resets itself back to 100% when I believe it should probably retain the volume of the device its casting to.  There's something pretty janky going on with the communication between the app and the device its casting to.

Edited by Dreakon13

pir8radio
3 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

Just to kinda follow up, we're in agreement that I'm not crazy right? 😄

I'm sure a fix for something like this probably isn't an overnight thing, if possible at all... but just wondering if it's on your radars now?  Since it appears to be something besides my specific reverse proxy setup.

Seeing that casting music around the house is probably 80% of my media server usage and the Play Queue being unusable is a big drawback, I've had to get Plex up and running again to kinda make up the difference.  Kinda itching for the day I can put Plex behind me since I like the direction Emby is heading way better. :)

EDIT: I'd also just like to point out/remind... that this appears to be an issue on the Android mobile app as well under the same circumstances.

And that every time I play a song while casting, the volume bar resets itself back to 100% when I believe it should probably retain the volume of the device its casting to.  There's something pretty janky going on with the communication between the app and the device its casting to.

1. well.... we don't know you well enough yet.. lol     but so far looks as if you are not crazy. 

Three different servers with you as a tester have the same outcome. 

Two different servers, two different clients - same issue..   (I need to test to be 3 for 3, hopefully tonight)

sounds like some kind of issue we need to figure out what is causing it..      this is nginx related so far right @cayars  your setup is also behind nginx.   

30 minutes ago, pir8radio said:

this is nginx related so far right @cayars  your setup is also behind nginx.   

If you mean because Cloudflare is based on their modified version of nginx I agree.

pir8radio
On 8/22/2021 at 3:38 PM, cayars said:

If you mean because Cloudflare is based on their modified version of nginx I agree.

oh so you are not behind your own nginx only behind CF.. ok..  im behind two.    let me try to reproduce now. 

• Agree 1

pir8radio
19 minutes ago, Luke said:

@pir8radio are you able to reproduce?

Yes i was able to reproduce..       dragging TOP line of playlist down to any position WORKS as it should..   but dragging any other item up or down seems to be completely random.. no pattern that I'm able to notice. 

4 minutes ago, pir8radio said:

Yes i was able to reproduce..       dragging TOP line of playlist down to any position WORKS as it should..   but dragging any other item up or down seems to be completely random.. no pattern that I'm able to notice. 

What was the controlling app and what was the receiving app?

pir8radio
On 8/23/2021 at 8:19 PM, Luke said:

What was the controlling app and what was the receiving app?

windows 10 chrome browser controller or sending side.       TV was android TV (built in from factory) receiving end. 

I never tried that Luke but did find this issue casting from web to desktop theater if that is any help.

Dreakon13

Something jacked up with my PC today that's forcing anything I cast from the browser to cast the tab instead of going through Emby (it's happening with Plex too so it's not an Emby issue).  Until I figure out what's going on, I can't really test this anymore since I don't have the issue casting the tab. :(  Though I'm glad to see you guys aware of the issue now at least.

Just following up since I'd still really like to see this fixed someday.  The mobile app has the same sort of issues with casting, probably for the same reason, whatever that reason may end up being.

Edited by Dreakon13

Dreakon13
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Is it still jacked up?

It is, not really sure where to start troubleshooting it.  Maybe a recent Brave/Chrome/Chromium update messed something up?  Just kinda hoping it fixes itself at this point lol.

Edited by Dreakon13

14 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

It is, not really sure where to start troubleshooting it.  Maybe a recent Brave/Chrome/Chromium update messed something up?  Just kinda hoping it fixes itself at this point lol.

Can you try the scenario I mentioned? Thanks.

Dreakon13
On 9/6/2021 at 1:02 PM, Luke said:

Can you try the scenario I mentioned? Thanks.

@Luke So I opened Emby on my server in Google Chrome (my secure reverse proxy) and Brave browser (localhost).  Under those circumstances, I could only cast from Google Chrome to Brave.  I could see the song playing on both browsers.

Controlling the play queue from both browsers seems to work.

Making changes on Google Chrome might take anywhere from 5-20 seconds to show, but it was accurate when it did (not the randomness seen in the OP).

Making changes on Brave was instantaneous and accurate.

If I open both on localhost instead of using my reverse proxy, both are instantaneous and accurate.  In either case, I'm not seeing the issues in the OP at all.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Dreakon13