DSM 6 to DSM 7 Emby Migration Instructions

Carlo

On 1/23/2022 at 10:07 PM, mckarg said:

Hi. In my case, emby server isn't running anymore after upgrading to DSM 7.1.

I'll give you a list of steps i did (whithout checking any instructions before upgrading DSM):

• On DSM 6.2, when trying to update emby server, there was a message like "this version of emby requires DSM 7".
  • i performed upgrade from DSM 6.2 to 7.1 (without uninstalling emby)
  • afterwards, package center said, emby server should be repaired, so i clicked on "repair"
  • emby server was running afterwards (i think it was 4.6.4.0), but all my configuration / users / media were gone (not visible)
  • i updated emby server manually to emby-server-synology7_4.6.7.0_x86_64 - same situation
  • i followed the steps of your instruction (Posted July 6, 2021 (edited)) from step 6 (stop emby)
  • when i started emby server it's stopping after a few seconds (the same after uninstalling and reinstalling the version from the package center)

What can i do, to get emby server running again (with all my settings / media))?

@cayars Thank you, thank you, thank you!

You saved our familie's media experience by doing magic in a late night session. And i have to add, that i can't remember having better support experiences than in the emby forum.

• Thanks 1

Awesome of you to say.  We have a great team of people all supporting the products in many different ways at all kinds of crazy hours. :)

Scheddy1

Thanks for this awesome guide! Emby is working again :)

I had a small issue with the SSL certificate for Emby. Fixed it with:
chown -R emby:emby /usr/syno/etc/certificate/system/default/cert.pfx

Maybe someone else has this problem.

• Like 1

Thinkfordfirst

Hi, I upgraded to DSM 7 without knowing Emby required special steps and would like to request remote help.  Thank you in advance for your support!

- thanks, 

Brian

3 hours ago, Thinkfordfirst said:

Hi, I upgraded to DSM 7 without knowing Emby required special steps and would like to request remote help.  Thank you in advance for your support!

- thanks, 

Brian

Hi there, what is the problem that you're having?

From PMs, the basic process with SSH in general and not knowing how to fix things since the migration now has to be changed a bit.
We're trying to coordinate schedules to get him some remote help.

Thinkfordfirst
17 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi there, what is the problem that you're having?

Hi Luke,

Carlo was kind enough to remote log-in with me after work today and help my migration.  It worked perfectly.  In a nutshell I was too intimidated to do all the migration steps and not feel like I was going to lose everything.  Carlo was so very helpful and fixed my issue very quickly.  He also helped me set up my Synology NAS so I could remote login from another location to watch all of my Emby content.  I could not be happier with the customer service I have received from the Emby team!

Thanks, Brian

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
Dicken

Hey, first of all thanks for this tutorial.

After a long back and forth, I've finally made it.

I had the same problem as many others with the .shm and .wal files.

I then found the solution while browsing, but would perhaps integrate the step into the first post:

cd /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer/Data
rm *.db-shm
rm *.db-wal

Thanks again, I'm happy now :)

Sandgorgon

Updating from DSM6 to DSM7. Followed the instructions up until "close putty". 

Couldn't follow what to do with the Shared Folders permissions, and there was no Embry User to change

Can't connect the the Emby Server

Help? Please?

Sandgorgon
5 hours ago, Sandgorgon said:

Couldn't follow what to do with the Shared Folders permissions, and there was no Embry User to change

Can't connect the the Emby Server

Help? Please?

When I run the Emby Server it starts, runs for about 30 seconds then reports "Manually stopped"

FrostByte
5 hours ago, Sandgorgon said:

When setting permissions did you use the dropdown menu and change to System internal user?

Sandgorgon

Hey!

So, in "Shared Folders" there is a folder "Emby". I have set read/write permissions on it for the "emby" Systems Internal Users.
No Local Users have any permissions to the Emby Shared Folder.
Is this referring to the old "Emby" folder in the volume1, which I thought was for the old Emby DSM 6 install.

There is an Emby Server folder in @appdata, but I've styed away from that, other than copying the data to it during the migration

Not a power user (as you might be able to tell).

Thanks

Sandgorgon

Told you I'd been at this too long.
I should have said it was my "Media" Shared Folder.

R/W for "emby" System Internal User"

R/W for "<my user>" Local Users

I'm tired, and getting punchy. Sorry for the confusion

FrostByte

That Emby shared folder is the old DSM6 server folder.  The isn't used under DSM7.

The only place you need to set permissions is the shared folder(s) where your actual media is located.  The only user that needs shared folder permissions in DSM is 'emby' with read/write.  In my example in the link I have all my media under shared folder "MyEmbyMedia"

The users are all created and setup within the Emby itself.  You don't add users to DSM.  

Clear as mud? :)

Sandgorgon

Kinda clear. :)

I managed to dig out a log file that was from the last tie I tried to launch Emby from the Synology desktop. It runs for 10-20 seconds, and the reason is.....

Looks like I haven't set permission for something properly. I've been twiddling, and had it running for while but obviously broke something (again)

When it was running, I'd get the "unable to connect" when trying to launch a player (from synology)

I haven't seen (I think) any EmbyServer folders to mess with permissions (other than the chmod step). Maybe that failed?

2022-03-21 19:41:01.304 Error UserManager: Error reading policy file: /var/packages/EmbyServer/var/config/users/1f152ec8c39d4f55b24a389380682c30/policy.xml
    *** Error Report ***
    Version: 4.6.7.0
    Command line: /volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /var/packages/EmbyServer/var -ffdetect /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/bin/ffdetect -ffmpeg /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/bin/ffprobe -nolocalportconfig -ignore_vaapi_enabled_flag -pidfile /var/packages/EmbyServer/var/EmbyServer.pid -defaultdirectory /volume1/Public -updatepackage emby-server-synology7_{version}_x86_64.spk
    Operating system: Linux version 4.4.180+ (root@build13) (gcc version 7.5.0 (GCC) ) #42218 SMP Mon Oct 18 19:16:55 CST 2021
    Framework: .NET Core 3.1.21
    OS/Process: x64/x64
    Runtime: volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
    Processor count: 4
    Data path: /var/packages/EmbyServer/var
    Application path: /volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/system
    System.UnauthorizedAccessException: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path '/var/packages/EmbyServer/var/config/users/1f152ec8c39d4f55b24a389380682c30/policy.xml' is denied.
     ---> System.IO.IOException: Permission denied
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Interop.ThrowExceptionForIoErrno(ErrorInfo errorInfo, String path, Boolean isDirectory, Func`2 errorRewriter)
       at Microsoft.Win32.SafeHandles.SafeFileHandle.Open(String path, OpenFlags flags, Int32 mode)
       at System.IO.FileStream.OpenHandle(FileMode mode, FileShare share, FileOptions options)
       at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options)
       at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)
       at System.IO.File.OpenRead(String path)
       at Emby.Server.Implementations.IO.ManagedFileSystem.OpenRead(String path)
       at Emby.Server.Implementations.Serialization.MyXmlSerializer.DeserializeFromFile(Type type, String file)
       at Emby.Server.Implementations.Library.UserManager.GetUserPolicy(User user)
    Source: System.Private.CoreLib
    TargetSite: Void ThrowExceptionForIoErrno(ErrorInfo, System.String, Boolean, System.Func`2[Interop+ErrorInfo,Interop+ErrorInfo])
    InnerException: System.IO.IOException: Permission denied
    Source: 
    TargetSite: 

FrostByte

Where you able to do this step in putty?

chown -R emby:emby /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer

That should have given the user 'emby' permissions/ownership of server configuration files/folders.  So, you give permissions/ownership at file/folder level using putty for server files/folders and then at the Shared folder level for your media using the gui.

Edited by FrostByte

Sandgorgon

Yes, I actually ran it twice over the day, as well copying all the files twice. I ran the chmod after the copy (just to be specific!) ;)

I don't know what else to say.! I also have Plex back up and running, but it won't connect if I launch it from synology, but the server runs and I can connect to it using the same source media folders

I will run the chown again once I've sent this

Edit: Should I be my login or root when I run chown?

Edited by Sandgorgon

Sandgorgon

Ran it and the server is up and running and "stable" but I can't connect to it from any device (laptop, desktop, iphone)

Edited by Sandgorgon
  • Like 1

Sandgorgon

chmod was run and the server is up and running. Just can't connect to it from devices, and can't launch from Synology to open in browser.

Getting closer.....

Other than the media folder, should there be any more permissions set via the ui?

Sandgorgon

OK, thanks for the help. The server is up and running. But any clues as to why I can get it to launch a browser and connect

Sandgorgon

It says Running. The link is the IP address on one of the NAS Interfaces.

When I click "Open" it says "This site cannot be reached" <IP address> refused to connect"

I turned the firewall off on my PC and that didn't help

@cayars