DSM 6 to DSM 7 Emby Migration Instructions

Carlo

thorkillar
10 minutes ago, DrHermel said:

Also bei mir hat das gereicht, wobei mein emby-server auch auf der Synology Station läuft und nicht auf Windows. Was mir noch einfällt - hatte Probleme, dass meine Netzwerkgeräte nicht in Windows (10 / 11) angezeigt wurden. Dazu musste ich erst smb1 wieder aktivieren, vllt ist dass dein Problem. Habs nach der Anleitung aktiviert und siehe da, auf einmal war mein NAS im Explorer.  https://www.netzwelt.de/anleitung/171158-windows-10-so-aktiviert-smb-10-server-message-block.html

Ansonsten wüsste ich jetzt aktuell nicht was man da noch machen könnte, bin aber auch kein Admin oder ähnliches sondern hatte das gleiche Problem und habs durch Tüftelei halt dann hinbekommen 🙂

Hallo,

SMB1 hat leider auch nicht geholfen - um Emby provisorisch auf einer anderen Maschine zum laufen zu bringen.

ich möchte Emby auf meiner NAS laufen lassen. Nur leider habe ich beim Upgrade auf DSM7 was falsch gemacht. Und jetzt startet Emby gar nicht mehr. Daher hier die Bitte an den Support -

Können Sie mir bitte per Remote-Support weiterhelfen?

Edited by thorkillar

FrostByte
8 minutes ago, thorkillar said:

Hello

Unfortunately, SMB1 didn't help either - to get Emby to run provisionally on another machine.

I want to run Emby on my NAS. Unfortunately, I did something wrong when upgrading to DSM7. And now Emby doesn't start at all. Therefore, here is the request to the support -

Can you please help me with remote support?

@cayars should be able to do that when he's back online

• Like 1

DrHermel

Also wegen install auf Synology, kann ich dir nur empfehlen mach die diskstation platt - Werkseinstellung ohne Daten löschen - alles andere is Murks. Habs 1 Woche lang ausprobiert alle Ordner gelöscht die mit Emby zu tun haben können aber - kein erfolg, weiß nicht wo da noch ne Leiche war die mir den install blockiert hat. Kaum dass ich den NAS neu installiert hatte, sauber mit neustem DSM, konnte ich emby dann über das Paketzentrum installieren und neu einrichten. War ne Sache von ner halben Stunde. Synology weist natürlich darauf hin dass man sicherheitshalber seine Daten sichern soll nur wer hat zufällig X Terrabyte noch daheim rumliegen also bin ich auf Risiko gegangen und nach der folgenden Beschreibung (wobei meine Synology nie orange geblinkt hat sondern dann grün geblinkt - hab ne ds416play)

Gruß und viel Erfolg

Auszug aus: https://kb.synology.com/de-de/DSM/tutorial/How_to_reset_my_Synology_NAS

Modus 2: Setzen Sie den Synology NAS zurück und installieren Sie das Betriebssystem DSM neu

Dieser Modus löscht alle Systemkonfigurationen und führt alle Reset-Funktionen von Modus 1 aus.

1. Suchen Sie die RESET- Taste auf der Rückseite Ihres Synology NAS (klicken Sie hier, um die Hardware-Installationsanleitung für Ihr Synology NAS-Modell zu lesen, wenn Sie Schwierigkeiten haben, die RESET-Taste zu finden).
  2. Halten Sie die RESET- Taste mit einer Büroklammer etwa 4 Sekunden lang leicht gedrückt, bis Sie einen Signalton hören. Lassen Sie dann die Taste sofort los.
  3. Innerhalb von 10 Sekunden die RESET -Taste erneut 4 Sekunden lang gedrückt halten, bis Sie 3 weitere Signaltöne hören.
  4. Warten Sie etwa 2 Minuten, bis die STATUS-LED auf Ihrem Synology NAS orange blinkt und anzeigt, dass Ihr Synology NAS erfolgreich zurückgesetzt wurde und die Systemkonfigurationen gelöscht wurden.
  5. Um DSM neu zu installieren, geben Sie find.synology.com in die Suchleiste Ihres Webbrowsers ein und suchen Sie Ihren Synology NAS auf der Seite Web Assistant. Der Servername Ihres Synology NAS sollte je nach Synology NAS-Modell DiskStation, FlashStation oder RackStation lauten. Der Status Ihres Geräts sollte Konfiguration verloren lauten.
  6. Doppelklicken Sie auf Ihren Synology NAS und folgen Sie dem Assistenten, um die Neuinstallation abzuschließen.

Sorry @thorkillar needed a few hours sleep as I was up to 5am helping someone.

I'm sending you a PM and available to help you right now.

Carlo

thorkillar
Just now, cayars said:

Sorry @thorkillar needed a few hours sleep as I was up to 5am helping someone.

I'm sending you a PM and available to help you right now.

Carlo

Kein Problem. 1000 Dank. Und ich weis ja gar nicht, wie spät es bei Ihnen ist 🙂

thorkillar
2 hours ago, thorkillar said:

Kein Problem. 1000 Dank. Und ich weis ja gar nicht, wie spät es bei Ihnen ist 🙂

Super Support. Per Remote gelöst. Es funktioniert alles wieder. DANKE

Hello,

I updated my Synology DS1618+ to DSM 7.0, but didn`t read the Migration Guide for Emby.

I think i have installed Emby 4.6.4.0 at DSM 6.0, but not 100% sure.

After installing i have only the emby User and no shares.

I have try the Steps after the DSM Update several times and don`t find my mistake

Can you please help me with remote?

TheBobbu

EDIT - never mind, I'm a tool. I'd been setting the permissions through the file manager, not the shares manager 🤦‍♀️

-

I'm starting to lose my marbles a bit. I upgraded to DSM 7, but didn't follow these instructions. I was on an older version of Emby, and wasn't too worried about setting things up from scratch again. It updated fine, as a fresh install, and seemed to be all ok. However, I cannot seem to grant Emby access to my media files, no matter what I do. I've deleted the old Emby share and user, the video group, and even went in an removed the new installation folder so Emby was cleaned entirely from the system, then reinstalled it new - but it still won't allow Emby into the folders I need it to get into. I have them set with read/write access for the emby system user, but it's still just not able to access the folders... Help?

Edited by TheBobbu
  • Like 1

Just wanted to send some thanks for the upgrade instructions. This topic really helped me with getting Emby to work after the DSM 7 update.
After following the instructions the first time I only had an 'emby' user, none my original users.
I then removed the Emby package and everything in /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer and reinstalled with the 'start after install' option unchecked.
Then I just had to redo the copy from the old directory and the chown command and it started working.

Not sure if related but maybe this was because the first time I installed from the Synology package center which still had 4.6.4 instead of the latest 4.6.7 (which I had on DSM6).
@cayars, maybe you can add a warning to the topic start to double check the version when installing from the package center?
I just assumed it was the latest but apparently the updates are a bit slower on the package center.

The whole first part is about updating Emby Server to the current version before continuing. 
Not really sure how you can miss it. :)

On 12/4/2021 at 12:53 AM, cayars said:

The whole first part is about updating Emby Server to the current version before continuing. 
Not really sure how you can miss it. :)

I did read that and updated to 4.6.7 on DSM 6 before continuing. Even double checked before going to the uninstall step and following the rest of the guide. However when I reinstalled on DSM 7 I thought it would be more convenient to install from the Synology Package Center instead of using the downloaded spk as that would provide auto updates in the future. A split second after clicking the install button I noticed the package center was installing 4.6.4 which was released in July.
As I couldn't cancel the install, I then downloaded the latest spk (4.6.7) from the site and installed that one over it.

I should have double checked because assumption is the mother of all **** ups😅 . However because the version in the package center is a few versions behind I think best practice might be to always download the spk from the website during the DSM update instead of relying on the package center as that doesn't install the current version?

This is how it looks now after deleting the app and reinstalling with the spk from the website. Installed version is 4.6.7, last version in the package center is 4.6.4:

afbeelding.png.b2116df8ad5c40fb7a16fc3d56890342.png

Anyways, even after I had some issues, all the info I needed was already available in this forum so big thumbs up to the community 🙏

Yes I can see how that would be a problem when the online package center has an older version.  You should be able to do exactly what you did by downloading it from our site and installing that right over the top.  Worse case would be to restart from the SSH copy step.

But it sounds like you are ok now.  Is that correct?

Did the update from dsm 6 to dsm 7 on the ds415play of my father in law.

Last weekend I noticed, that emby doesn't show any video files anymore so I found this thread and tried to repair the setup.

Unfortunately /volume1/Emby doesn't exist on his diskstation.

I did't follow the instructions mentioned here as I didn't know I had to.

Is there any way to restore the database? /volume1/Plex does still exist altough Plex was uninstalled like ages ago. So i wondered why /volume1/Emby is gone.

That doesn't sound promising if /volume1/Emby is not there.
The best thing you can do is SSH into the box and as sudo do a find / library.db

That should search the root and all sub directories for the library.db file used by Emby which is basically the library info.
If you installed Emby on DSM 7 then it should show up under /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer/data but is probably empty and from the new install.

If you find library.db in another location let us know and we can guide you in fixing this or give you a hand with it.

Gotta say, this is pretty sucky :(

I also updated automatically with the DSM7 update - it did not remotely enter my mind that I should check the support forums to see if there was some special migration path given I was installing an update to a supported application through a reputable app store.

I've done a complete search of the filesystem and found 1 other Emby data directory which seems to be from an extremely old Docker install that I must have tried long ago. This seems to indicate that all our Emby user and usage data is lost so it's going to be a fresh start.

I know that different platforms will always get different degrees of attention and can understand if the Synology package doesn't keep pace with the latest development versions however I would expect a stable upgrade to be pretty straight forward. What's the stablest way to install Emby on a Synology NAS? Docker? Or the Synology package just maintain your own backups? Which of course is the best practice no matter what, but clearly I didn't... I'm also just feeling stupid for trusting a piece of software not to bork itself during an update...

The Synology app is one of the more popular servers. A few of the staff including Luke and I both use them.

The problem here is that this unfortunate event has nothing to do with Emby software but is a "flaw" in the way the DSM 7 upgrade works. There is nothing we can do about the new structure and file locations needed for DSM 7. The DSM 7 upgrade does warn you of changes and tells you some apps you have installed might not work and to check with any vendors prior to upgrading.  They covered their buts but IMHO this should be much more pronounced during the DSM upgrade as it's a major change to how DSM works.

They of course do an automatic migration for their own apps so they will work but expect you to perform any post migration steps for other apps yourself.

If you only have one volume the DSM 6 version of Emby would be located at /volume1/Emby.  If that is no longer present the only other place it could be is in the recycle bin if you have that active. If it's not in either of those two places you could reinstall from backup back to the /volume1/Emby location and then use that data to do the migration with. Short of that you would have the configuration data from the Emby Configuration Backup plugin if you had that installed.