Carlo

romaing
On 7/6/2021 at 1:42 AM, cayars said:

- add emby user and emby group to your shared media folder in Synology 

Can someone tell me how to do this ? not sure to know how to do it. many thanks

30 minutes ago, romaing said:

Can someone tell me how to do this ? not sure to know how to do it. many thanks

Forget that step, you don't need it.

That step wasn't in the video and I just removed it from the Op post.

Edited by cayars
  • Thanks 1

romaing
26 minutes ago, cayars said:

Forget that step, you don't need it.

That step wasn't in the video and I just removed it from the Op post.

great. everything seems back to normal !  first launch was quite long but may be DSM7 is consuming too much for my poor DS218 PLAY

but nothing lost as far as I can see ! 🙂

• Like 1

Carin32

So I appear to have fatally failed the install and in doing so managed to delete the Emby share itself too I don't think I can go back. Its annoying but my fault for not following instructions.

But now I am having the issue of how do I clear everything Emby from my 918+ and simply re-install to start over. 

first, I don't seem to have an Emby user.

And second, It seems to uninstall and re-install, but when I try to add my shares it sees my Media1 share.

964941377_ScreenShot2021-08-09at6_03_54PM.png.01a2d0758352362e719526faf3145bfb.png

But when I click on it the file share isn't there and won't proceed.

529383054_ScreenShot2021-08-09at6_04_00PM.thumb.png.b3cbcc95c825ce9af92090e512c2dd9c.png

@Carin32 Before you go any further do you want to do a remote session.

Maybe the Emby DSM 6 info is still there but just not showing in the UI?
I'd be happy to take a look with you and see if it's possible to restore the info.

If not we can at least help you with this other problem of not seeing your shared media correctly.

Send me a PM if you would like to do this.

maxxemby

Where is the "separate" build? 

I tried installing the emby-server-synology_4.6.4.0_x86_64.spk but still get the "emby server this package requires dsm 7.0-40000(update 0) or older"

Where are the instructions for those who installed DSM 7 and now can not upgrade emby server?

maxxemby

Thanks,  I was able to install this package. 

Now trying to locate my Premiere Key and re-point Emby to the Media Folder where I have the movies stored.

1 hour ago, maxxemby said:

Thanks,  I was able to install this package. 

Now trying to locate my Premiere Key and re-point Emby to the Media Folder where I have the movies stored.

Why not perform the migration process so that is not needed and your existing setup copies over?

Edited by cayars

maxxemby

I tried that got stuck with the error "emby server this package requires dsm 7.0-40000(update 0) or older".

Anyway all is good at this point, 

thanks for the advice.

• Like 1

Sounds good.  BTW your error above sounds like you may have tried to install the DSM 6 version of Emby Server on DSM 7.

DSM 7 requires a new/different download you can get right from our download page on the website.

Dear Emby,

when I was deciding which media server to use for my large video and photo library on my NAS, I chose Emby, because I liked the interface and eas-of-use. For me, an IT "idiot", a plug and play solution was a must. The first emby setup was a nightmare for me, and I know, that it is very easy compared to other IT solutions, just not so easy for me. I paid the lifetime premiere and was happy with everything.

Today, sudenly after a NAS upgrade, we went to watch a series which we planned to watch since july, I turned on the TV started the Emby App and nothing worked. 

So it led me here to this forum where I found out, that to make Emby work again, I basically need to "recode" HAL from Space Odysey, that is what it feels like to me.
So I read the instruction and .... I would rather hand clean gory murder crime scenes for the rest of my life, before I go "code" some root@a87c798asc897c 987 ...blah blah.

I thought it would be a easy transition process for users, just like with other apps on my Synology....but Noooooooooo... I just dont understand why it must be such a complicated (for a general no IT exp user) pain in the ass thing.

Gonna post a local ad to find someone whos gonna come to my house and set it up, feels like 2001, when I had to pay the cable guy to setup my TV for me. Welcome to the future.

Have a nice day, at least someone... :)
T

What do you mean you need to recode HAL?

Why do you think that?

Did you do the Emby migration from DSM 6 to 7?

neves000
1 hour ago, tomydf said:

Today, sudenly after a NAS upgrade, we went to watch a series which we planned to watch since july, I turned on the TV started the Emby App and nothing worked.

Upgrading your NAS from DSM6 to DSM7 is an important update with many changes. Before starting this upgrade, DSM6 have forced you to read a text and to tick a checkbox, warning of the possible incompatibility of unofficial extensions. This is why my NAS is still in DSM6 for now. I'm sorry for you, but you made a mistake by ignoring the warning message from Synology.

I hope cayars can assist you for the migration. Good luck !

maxxemby
10 hours ago, cayars said:

Sounds good.  BTW your error above sounds like you may have tried to install the DSM 6 version of Emby Server on DSM 7.

DSM 7 requires a new/different download you can get right from our download page on the website.

Correct, once I found the 7 version of emby all went well.

@tomydf I understand your pain. However, an update to a major revision number on DSM (DSM 6 to DSM 7) is a major change. A small bit of research must be done first. Sadly, to do otherwise is fraught with dangers. The DSM 7 update was in beta for 6 months and third-party applications (like Emby, Plex etc) have had a lot of work in trying to make their products compatible with the major changes DSM 7 introduced. There are many topics in this forum about this. I'm not trying to blame you for anything, but going forward please search on any potential problems when upgrading a critical system, like the operating system of you NAS.

As many have done, asking politely for some help form @cayars does wonders. No need to get an outside 'expert' in, who is not familiar with Emby. The chances are they will just make your problem worse.

Vagn Petersen

Sorry to say so, but I have to agree with tomydf!

I was using Plex for some years but got hooked on Emby instead and I was thinking "I am never going to look back". Knowing that it is not that simple to upgrade from DSM 6 version of Emby to DSM 7 version, I read everything here and I was reluctant to do the upgrade.

But then I got a surprise! My old "never to look back" media server (Plex) has an easy, no frill upgrade for DSM 7!!!

Now I am on DSM 7 with a smooth and perfectly running Plex media server.

13 minutes ago, Vagn Petersen said:

Sorry to say so, but I have to agree with tomydf!

I was using Plex for some years but got hooked on Emby instead and I was thinking "I am never going to look back". Knowing that it is not that simple to upgrade from DSM 6 version of Emby to DSM 7 version, I read everything here and I was reluctant to do the upgrade.

But then I got a surprise! My old "never to look back" media server (Plex) has an easy, no frill upgrade for DSM 7!!!

Now I am on DSM 7 with a smooth and perfectly running Plex media server.

Hi, we're sorry to hear about your issue. @cayarsis happy to help you resolve it. Thanks.

Yes I would be more than happy to do a remote session and help you migrate your DSM 6 version of Emby over to DSM 7.

Send me a PM and we can arrange this.

Vagn Petersen

The helpfulness on this forum is what makes me still believe in Emby. But how is it possible that Plex managed to make a straight forward installation package that doesn't need any remote session to get it to work?

I have a really simple setup with my media files on my NAS and using KODI on my Nvidia Shield and Infuse on my Apple TV to play my files. It worked flawlessly om DSM 6 and now flawlessly on DSM 7 with Plex - but NOT with Emby :(

neves000

Updated to DSM7 and Emby for DSM7, without problem. Thank you!

Copying the Emby data folder took a little while because it was 50gb, but otherwise everything was fine.

• Thanks 1