DSM 6 to DSM 7 Emby Migration Instructions

Carlo

bobaldis
20 hours ago, cayars said:

No, you can disable it after use.  Just turn it on when needed and then off when done.

Thanks Cayers, sorry if I'm asking an obvious question but which bit of the instructions required the Admin account?

Bob

5 minutes ago, bobaldis said:

Thanks Cayers, sorry if I'm asking an obvious question but which bit of the instructions required the Admin account?

Bob

You will need this for putty and the sudo -i commands you run to copy files and then set permissions.

• Like 1

bobaldis
2 minutes ago, cayars said:

You will need this for putty and the sudo -i commands you run to copy files and then set permissions.

Thanks Cayers,

I've disabled the Admin Account and can still use putty and the sudo -i under my own account (part of the Administrators group), so assuming in future I wouldn't need to enable the Admin Account?

Bob

if you can sudo -i and get the root prompt you should be ok.

• Like 1

Emby - Yann
16 hours ago, Emby - Yann said:

Bonjour,

Voici les dossiers que j'ai et ce qui se trouve dans le dossier Emby.

Mon problème est le même que les autres. Je n'arrive pas à me connecter sur mon compte emby. Chaque fois il me dit que mon user ou password est faux.

Je ne comprends pas non plus comment entrer dans le terminal.

J'ai par contre réussi à me connecter sur la session admin du NAS.

Merci

Capture d’écran du 2021-08-05 06-07-11.png

Dés que je lance Emby, j'arrive sur cette page.

Capture d’écran du 2021-08-05 06-11-19.png

Et ce qui ressemble le plus à des fichiers de configurations.

Capture d’écran du 2021-08-05 06-23-16.png

Problème résolu ! Merci !

5 hours ago, Emby - Yann said:

@cayars Can you help me please.

You should be fine now after our remote session but give each library a good test to make sure everything is working correctly as well as test your remote connections to make sure your cert is working.

Isn't it fun to have to translate everything said while in a remote session. :)

bobaldis
2 minutes ago, cayars said:

if you can sudo -i and get the root prompt you should be ok.

Brilliant, thanks again Cayers,

Bob

@cayars So I've taken the plunge, updated to DSM 7. Everything went smoothly, the instructions are great and completed without errors. My problem is now my media is all there but I've lost all my users, including mine. There is only user 'emby' when I log in and that seems to have taken all my watched states etc. Any idea?

Can I use the Server Configuration Backup plugin to restore my users?

Edit> I restored just my users and their watched state using the plugin, so they are back, however one user's watched state etc is now the same as a different user, though all the other users seem ok. Hhmmm, any suggestions appreciated, though I am up and running, just not 100% in the same state as before

Edited by kaj

Hi @kaj the migration didn't copy all files correctly.  You should redo the migration steps in putty/SSH again.

Shutdown Emby Server via DSM package center.
Make absolutely sure after doing the sudo -i that you have the "root" prompt (putty/SSH).

After coping the files do this as well before restarting Emby Server:

cd /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer
rm *.db-shm
rm *.db-wal

Restart Emby Server and have a look now.

If that doesn't work, send me a PM and I can remote via AnyDesk and give you a hand.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cayars said:

Hi @kaj the migration didn't copy all files correctly.  You should redo the migration steps in putty/SSH again.

Shutdown Emby Server via DSM package center.
Make absolutely sure after doing the sudo -i that you have the "root" prompt (putty/SSH).

After coping the files do this as well before restarting Emby Server:

cd /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer
rm *.db-shm
rm *.db-wal

Restart Emby Server and have a look now.

If that doesn't work, send me a PM and I can remote via AnyDesk and give you a hand.

Thanks..

I was 100% with the sudi -i
When doing the copying it took hours, as there were 100,000s of camera uploads copying across, as well as 1000s and 1000s of transcoding temp files. There were no errors, but is there any way not to copy those files? I don't need the camera upload files. Everything else migrated perfectly (Live TV, network settings, custom SSL etc)

So all users are ok now, except one, even after using the restore from the backup plugin. Due to the time the initial cp took, I'll wait until tomorrow to try again.

If you want I can remote in and give you a hand.  We can copy selected critical folders like data, config, etc but not the cache, metadata, camera, etc files that take forever.

Let me know.

SCREENPLAY

@cayars Thank you again for helping me over the remote connection. You are a genius! I'd wish every tech-support would be this helpful.

The last thing I've forgot to ask you, can I delete Putty now or do I have to keep it?

Greetings from Germany

• Thanks 1

You can remove Putty, but honestly I'd leave it as it likely won't be the last time you will need it over the course of using the Synology NAS.
But you can always reinstall it later if needed so choice is yours!

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, cayars said:

If you want I can remote in and give you a hand.  We can copy selected critical folders like data, config, etc but not the cache, metadata, camera, etc files that take forever.

Let me know.

Thanks. I'll PM you. Another thing is that Live TV recordings are not showing up in the Recording library. They are in the folder that the library is pointing too, but new recordings do not appear in Emby

Edited by kaj
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, cayars said:

Let me know.

I would just like to heap yet more praise on @cayarsand the help he offers. First off, DSM 7 is a big change and it's not Emby's fault that the instructions for upgrading are/seem complicated. The Emby team have done a great job at simplifying the needed steps.

Having said that, when I upgraded, I has some small niggling problems. @cayars offered to do a remote session. Seems I had an unusual setup which had somehow caused a small problem with the migration. @cayars remoted in, totally transparently so you can see exactly what he is doing, and sorted out my problem. I cannot think of any other software company that would spend the personal time in this way to help a customer.

Many many thanks Carlo 🙏 🙏 💯

• Thanks 1

The pleasure is all ours to support our software and our customers!

Especially a customer as friendly as you. :)

• Thanks 1

The 'instructions' require a download of DSM 7 and a Virtual DSM.    Why is that ?  No where in the 'video' or the 'steps' instruction are actual 'steps' that explain why.
The expectation that the less techie will have any idea what you are on about when you have a step "connect with Putty".
The whole process has a bunch of assumptions that we can go from pressing the 'play' button for a movie - to being able to interpret this procedure.
remove emby_pkg user and video group ?
enable admin account if needed ?
edit cp line to show status while copying files ?
All respect to the tech guys who live and breath this stuff - but can there be a better step-by-step instruction for the rest of us ?
You have said previous that you can't make it any simpler.  I might have expected a bit more than that for the $170 that I paid for Premiere to support Emby.

SuperNic
On 06/07/2021 at 01:42, cayars said:

- add emby user and emby group to your shared media folder in Synology 

EDIT: with the third attempt, everything worked. Nothing different from the other two attempts, but I don't care.
Thanks anyway!

Dear @cayars, I tried to update and followed row by row your procedure.
Unfortunately, something went wrong with the folder migration; when I open the Emby app, I have nothing.

I tried more then one the SSH commands and I didn't received any error.

Please, could you help me?
Thanks a lot!

Nicolò.

P.S.: the only instruction I didn't understand is the one in quote.
If I've already give all permission to emby user to shared storage access, why and where I have to do that instruction?
Thanks.

Edited by SuperNic
The third is the good one

14 hours ago, WinXP said:

The 'instructions' require a download of DSM 7 and a Virtual DSM. 

No, you only need the DSM 7 file for your NAS.  I shot the movie using a virtual machine so that is why I needed the Virtual DSM version.

6 hours ago, SuperNic said:

EDIT: with the third attempt, everything worked. Nothing different from the other two attempts, but I don't care.
Thanks anyway!

Dear @cayars, I tried to update and followed row by row your procedure.
Unfortunately, something went wrong with the folder migration; when I open the Emby app, I have nothing.

I tried more then one the SSH commands and I didn't received any error.

Please, could you help me?
Thanks a lot!

Nicolò.

P.S.: the only instruction I didn't understand is the one in quote.
If I've already give all permission to emby user to shared storage access, why and where I have to do that instruction?
Thanks.

Sure thing.  Sending you a PM now.

Edited by cayars

starisme

Edit: totally worked after a third time of copying over.

I think I'm having a similar issue as SuperNic above? I'm a little confused about the last line in the instructions.

That doesn't seem to be in the video and I don't see an emby group? Where do I go to do this?

I can see my media but all my users are gone. Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by starisme
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, starisme said:

I think I'm having a similar issue as SuperNic above? I'm a little confused about the last line in the instructions.

That doesn't seem to be in the video and I don't see an emby group? Where do I go to do this?

I can see my media but all my users are gone. Any help would be appreciated.

PM sent to you for assistance.

• Like 1

maxxemby

The Emby install package for DSM 7 should handle the process by default, and prompt the user along the way.

- What if I already installed DSM 7?  Now I get a "emby server this package requires dsm 7.0-40000(update 0) or older"  

11 minutes ago, maxxemby said:

The Emby install package for DSM 7 should handle the process by default, and prompt the user along the way.

- What if I already installed DSM 7?  Now I get a "emby server this package requires dsm 7.0-40000(update 0) or older"  

Then you have to switch to the dsm7 package for emby server. Unfortunately due to the amount of changes from the dsm6 to 7 sdks, we were forced to produce separate builds for each.