DSM 6 to DSM 7 Emby Migration Instructions

Carlo

jnrfalcon
14 hours ago, cayars said:

The DSM 6 location is
/volume1/Emby/

The DSM 7 location after you follow the migration instructions here will be:
/volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer

When you say you had libraries folders in the shared app folder you don't mean you had media in /volume1/Emby/ do you?
If so that media should be moved to a "Media" share before you do this migration or all the media will get duplicated.

Honestly, I believe this step to be false. Emby has long been using /@appdata/EmbyServer, maybe since 4.0 because that's when I started and I never had database stored in \volume1\Emby folder ever. It was empty when I first installed and I just renamed it to Video for my content. Maybe before DSM 7, Emby just continued using \volume1\Emby as a compatibility feature for users who installed Emby way early in the past. But I'm pretty sure I've never had any database files in \volume1\Emby since at least 4-5 years ago when I purchased my first Synology NAS.

Just look at all the comments in this thread that state it works.

Many of the users here can testify DSM 6 installed/stored files in /volume1/Emby and didn't use /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer prior to DSM 7. This is a new storage location used in DSM7.

jnrfalcon
On 8/1/2021 at 9:48 AM, mutu310 said:

You're not following me, but I'll follow your request and start from the very first problem.
So, I'm on DSM 7, with Emby for DSM7 installed (I even opened it and got to the login screen), stopped Emby and tried to "remove emby_pkg user and video group", but these don't exist.

I see them in your video, but they're not there for me.

Now what I didn't follow is that I have no idea what Emby's version was before (but it was supposed to be getting auto updated) and I installed the newest version of Emby for DSM7 now.

emby2.PNG

emby1.PNG

At least showing these 2 pictures means that you didn't read the instruction clearly. emby is not a regular user and emby is not a regular group, both are hidden. You will not find them in these 2 pictures. To grant permission to your share folder, go to "Shared Folder", edit the one you want. In "Permission", there's a drop down at top left, select "System internal users", then you will see emby.

jnrfalcon
43 minutes ago, cayars said:

Just look at all the comments in this thread that state it works.

Many of the users here can testify DSM 6 installed/stored files in /volume1/Emby and didn't use /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer prior to DSM 7. This is a new storage location used in DSM7.

Only proves that you guys started way earlier than us... doesn't mean that new install from fairly recent builds still put database at the same place... Or vise versa, maybe I'm one of the ones that started early when Emby use /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer back then and switched to /volume1/Emby later, but still functions with old install location.

RobbieAldis

Unfortunately upgraded DSM and Emby (beta) to V7 without realising there would be more to it, presented with clean install, no users, media or Lifetime Premiere Key 😬 

Fortunately found and followed Cayers' "DSM 6 to DSM 7 Emby Migration Instructions" now all appears right with the world, thanks! 👍

• Like 1

heula

I have done all the steps and mostly it is fine now but my libraries are gone so I wanted to set them up again but there is a permission issue.

I think the permissions are set right like this.

What did I forget?

Capture_765.thumb.jpg.79ba28ea9dd68f931f05d42f7132dcd9.jpgCapture_762.jpg.8c4fc3c308a2c9769afdc0c9d596cb9e.jpg

heula

It probably took some time but my libraries are back and visible now but I can't access them. Also my guide won't update.

Something is wrong with my permissions.

Banquero

Hola, yo he tenido un gran problema con la instalacion de DSM 7..Actualicé el paquete y aparece como nuevo usuario..Introduzco mis datos habituales y no tengo NADA...Un desastre..Intento añadir una biblioteca, para empezar de nuevo y no me permite acceder a las subcarpetas de la carpeta Video...Miro en los usuarios y veo que no me ha creado el usuario Emby..Que puedo hacer? Estoy absolutamente desesperado...

Thank you for taking your time to write this all out it was very helpful and everything is working good.

2 hours ago, Banquero said:

Hello, I have had a big problem with the installation of DSM 7 .. I updated the package and it appears as a new user .. I enter my usual data and I have NOTHING ... A disaster .. I try to add a library, to start again and it does not allow me to access the subfolders of the Video folder ... I look at the users and I see that the Emby user has not created me ... What can I do? I am absolutely desperate ...

You need to migrate your information from DSM 6 to DSM 7 storage spaces.

See the first post of this thread for proper instructions that must be followed.

4 hours ago, heula said:

It probably took some time but my libraries are back and visible now but I can't access them. Also my guide won't update.

Something is wrong with my permissions.

What exactly do you mean you can't access them?

bobaldis
On 03/08/2021 at 23:49, RobbieAldis said:

Unfortunately upgraded DSM and Emby (beta) to V7 without realising there would be more to it, presented with clean install, no users, media or Lifetime Premiere Key 😬 

Fortunately found and followed Cayers' "DSM 6 to DSM 7 Emby Migration Instructions" now all appears right with the world, thanks! 👍

Not sure how but I manged to post the above under my Son's Emby Account (Set up by me) 😬

But I had one thing to add to my previous comment, all appears to be OK, but Synology keeps giving me warnings about disabling the Admin account, do we need to keep it enabled or is there a way round this?

Bob

No, you can disable it after use.  Just turn it on when needed and then off when done.

Emby - Yann

Bonjour,

Voici les dossiers que j'ai et ce qui se trouve dans le dossier Emby.

Mon problème est le même que les autres. Je n'arrive pas à me connecter sur mon compte emby. Chaque fois il me dit que mon user ou password est faux.

Je ne comprends pas non plus comment entrer dans le terminal.

J'ai par contre réussi à me connecter sur la session admin du NAS.

Merci

Capture d’écran du 2021-08-05 06-07-11.png

Dés que je lance Emby, j'arrive sur cette page.

Capture d’écran du 2021-08-05 06-11-19.png

Et ce qui ressemble le plus à des fichiers de configurations.

Capture d’écran du 2021-08-05 06-23-16.png

Edited by Emby - Yann

Did you watch the video in the first post that shows the steps of turning on SSH and the admin account?

heula
21 minutes ago, cayars said:

Did you watch the video in the first post that shows the steps of turning on SSH and the admin account?

Yes I have read the text and watched the video. SSH was already on and the admin account is active because I use winscp a lot.

In Putty with the line "chown -R emby:emby /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer" I get a not permitted error.

I changed the permissions in Winscp for volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer 0777 with owner Emby and group Emby.

2021-08-05 08_09_12-HOME-SERVER - VNC Viewer.png

2021-08-05 08_16_51-HOME-SERVER - VNC Viewer.png

2021-08-05 08_07_23-HOME-SERVER - VNC Viewer.png

heula
9 hours ago, cayars said:

What exactly do you mean you can't access them?

I see them but when I open them they are empty.

When I look into my libaries in the settings they are all gone. When trying to add them I get the permissions error as shown in my first post.

2021-08-05 08_31_52-HOME-SERVER - VNC Viewer.png

2021-08-05 08_32_09-HOME-SERVER - VNC Viewer.png

2021-08-05 08_39_34-HOME-SERVER - VNC Viewer.png

Edited by heula

detreh

Hello,

I come from Emby 4.4.4 x and updated my synologiy before I saw this guide.

Never I had the Emby Folder on Volume 1 ... only the media shared folder 

This - cp -rv /volume1/Emby/* /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer - will also not work for me.

Shoud I copy my media shared folder to @appdata/EmbyServer?

Or you have an other idea?

Thank for your advice

PS:

I did the manual way to setup Emby again. Some changes in Kodi and everything is fine for me

Edited by detreh
Done

heula

My problem is solved. I ran cp -rv /volume1/Emby/* /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer again and now all is visible and working again.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, heula said:

Yes I have read the text and watched the video. SSH was already on and the admin account is active because I use winscp a lot.

In Putty with the line "chown -R emby:emby /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer" I get a not permitted error.

I changed the permissions in Winscp for volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer 0777 with owner Emby and group Emby.

2021-08-05 08_09_12-HOME-SERVER - VNC Viewer.png

2021-08-05 08_16_51-HOME-SERVER - VNC Viewer.png

Did you forget to "sudo -i" ?

Your prompt is showing admin@ instead of root@

heula
21 minutes ago, cayars said:

Did you forget to "sudo -i" ?

Your prompt is showing admin@ instead of root@

No I did not forget that. It is working now after running those lines again.

Thanks.

When you do a sudo -i and type the correct password the prompt will change to root which is the way you can tell if the sudo command worked or not.
Your prompt was still showing the normal user "admin" in the prompt which wouldn't have root access/privs.

1 hour ago, Emby - Yann said:

@cayars Can you help me please.

Yes absolutely.  I'm sending you a private message so we can try a remote session to get you some help.